Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Thread Part III - Let's have a healthy debate!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The PPACA Thread Part III - Let's have a healthy debate!

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    And more than one poster have mentioned that.
    Care to list them?

edit: or are you saying other posters have offered anecdotes of doctors they know doing the same? If so, this is totally rock-solid evidence--nothing more conclusive than "facts" created by an echo chamber.
    Last edited by GrinCDXX; 03-18-2015, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
      Care to list them?

edit: or are you saying other posters have offered anecdotes of doctors they know doing the same? If so, this is totally rock-solid evidence--nothing more conclusive than "facts" created by an echo chamber.
      No, the people that have posted this are actual MDs. Not all of us go to cake major colleges.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        You are not suggesting that the solution to a shortage of Health Care Providers is to have fewer insured are you?
        No, obviously the solution is to pay doctors less per patient while increasing their paperwork requirements at the same time.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

No, the people that have posted this are actual MDs.
          Let me guess, you could be more specific, you're just choosing not to be.

Not all of us go to cake major colleges.
          I'm not sure what, exactly, you're getting at, but is sounds a bit...elitist.

Comment

Care to list them?

He's talking about DrDemento and busterman62. They're both MDs, and both towards the ends of their respective professional careers. They've both mentioned disliking the shift away from doctors making decisions with patients towards accountants and bureaucrats making decisions. One or both of them have stated that they think the ACA will cause more of our experienced physicians out the door sooner than they otherwise would choose to retire.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I'm not sure what, exactly, you're getting at, but is sounds a bit...elitist.
              One of the sillier tropes in this country today is the hyperventilating and posturing over where the average person went to college. I work with a couple of software developers who attended two years of community college, and they write code that is just as good, or better than the work of some people with a 4-year CS/CpE degree from a flashy 'brand name' school. In fact, I find they are far more practical and receptive to the realities of writing industrial-strength code than the folks who were steeped in 4-5 years of academic theory.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                He's talking about DrDemento and busterman62. They're both MDs, and both towards the ends of their respective professional careers. They've both mentioned disliking the shift away from doctors making decisions with patients towards accountants and bureaucrats making decisions. One or both of them have stated that they think the ACA will cause more of our experienced physicians out the door sooner than they otherwise would choose to retire.
                I respect anecdotal evidence but I'd like to see a larger trend here. The track record of ACA opponents in terms of accurate criticisms is not good. At all.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Care to list them?

Both Les and Dr. D are in the health care business. Their horror stories make for sobering reading. And I reiterate, what good is health insurance if you can't get/don't have ready access to a physician or a health care professional?

So let's stop talking about the # of insured and start asking about access to docs and HCP's? Maybe PPACA went about solving the problem bassackwards?
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    One of the sillier tropes in this country today is the hyperventilating and posturing over where the average person went to college. I work with a couple of software developers who attended two years of community college, and they write code that is just as good, or better than the work of some people with a 4-year CS/CpE degree from a flashy 'brand name' school. In fact, I find they are far more practical and receptive to the realities of writing industrial-strength code than the folks who were steeped in 4-5 years of academic theory.
                    I happen to be a software developer who graduated from a fairly no name college in the Twin Cities and I'd like to think I hold my own .
                    Last edited by GrinCDXX; 03-18-2015, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Both Les and Dr. D are in the health care business. Their horror stories make for sobering reading. And I reiterate, what good is health insurance if you can't get/don't have ready access to a physician or a health care professional?

So let's stop talking about the # of insured and start asking about access to docs and HCP's? Maybe PPACA went about solving the problem bassackwards?
                      Again, this is an anecdotal account not representative of the whole so its nonsense. You and your ilk have constantly been proven wrong with dire predictions and since you won't supply an actual study just "Oh Dr D said this" why should anybody believe you? No offense to Dr D but I don't think he represents the entire medical community. I would also point out, no offense to you, that critics of this law including several of the posters you mentioned (except for les who I'm not sure is against the ACA) tend to be people in their 60's-70's, the very people most opposed to ANYTHING Obama related.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

I happen to be a software developer who attended a fairly no name college in the Twin Cities and I'd like to think I hold my own .
                        I'm brilliant AND I went to a name college, so there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          Originally posted by joecct View Post

While I have no reason to doubt that their concerns are legitimate and that their experiences are a fair basis for discussing the problems with the ACA, none of this supports the blanket assertion that Flaggy made.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            One of the sillier tropes in this country today is the hyperventilating and posturing over where the average person went to college.
                            I would caveat this by saying there is a huge difference between any non-profit college or university, and the for-profit colleges which are essentially scams to collect as much federal student loan money as possible. If you're coming to me with a piece of paper that has Kaplan or University of Phoenix on it, I will be scrutinizing you more than others.

I still wouldn't trade my own education for anything, but I won't knock someone just because they went somewhere else instead.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              I would caveat this by saying there is a huge difference between any non-profit college or university, and the for-profit colleges which are essentially scams to collect as much federal student loan money as possible. If you're coming to me with a piece of paper that has Kaplan or University of Phoenix on it, I will be scrutinizing you more than others.
                              This I will agree with. Also, if you plan to get a PhD and go into academia, it makes sense that you should be trying to attend the most prestigious schools that you can, if only to have access to the best research and fellowship opportunities.

Otherwise, I care more about a person's ability to do the work, than I care about where they went to school.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                Again, this is an anecdotal account not representative of the whole so its nonsense. You and your ilk have constantly been proven wrong with dire predictions and since you won't supply an actual study just "Oh Dr D said this" why should anybody believe you? No offense to Dr D but I don't think he represents the entire medical community. I would also point out, no offense to you, that critics of this law including several of the posters you mentioned (except for les who I'm not sure is against the ACA) tend to be people in their 60's-70's, the very people most opposed to ANYTHING Obama related.
                                Rover: I do not represent the entire medical community at all. But I do represent someone who has practiced medicine for 45years and is board certified in 3 separate specialties. I am fortunate enough to be semi retired at this stage. I am fairly sure i have not made any direct comments about whether I am for or against any law including the ACA. What I am against, is anyone, and i do mean anyone, practicing medicine and making medical decisions that affect patients lives, who is not qualified to do so. When you take your car in for service, you want a mechanic who knows what he is doing to fix it. When you have electrical work in house performed, i would hope you opt for a certified electrician. I merely expect medicine to be practiced the same way. Your body and your life is just too precious to be treated by anyone who is not adequately trained and experienced. Bad advice is worse than no advice. Bad medicine is worse than no medicine. The last time i looked, there have been prosecutions for practicing medicine without a license. Yet for some odd reason, we have allowed medical decisions that deal with saving lives to be made by insurance companies, governments, and non physicians. For those who do not mind, let them seek and take medical advice and treatment from whoever they want and if they think cheapest is the answer, then so be it. As for me, i still practice the best medicine I have been trained for, I fight for my patient's rights to the absolute best care by the best people possible. And you can bet before i or my wife go for any medical attention for ourselves, I look up credentials and experience. And wherever possible(at least for important indications) we take brand name medications rather than generics).
                                please do not take this wrong since I have followed much of your postings for some time. You make some very valid points, but so do many others on this thread. I am just one of those old time physicians(I am not simply as the government would prefer to call me, a provider) who believes that the first tenet in medicine is do no harm. If you are not going to make a situation better, at least do nothing to make it worse. I also strongly believe that the most important phrase in medicine is the phrase " I don't know."
                                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                                X