Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Thread Part III - Let's have a healthy debate!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA Thread Part III - Let's have a healthy debate!

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    People who impress me solely based on their jobs:

1. Mathematicians and theoretical physicists at 1st tier universities
    2. Any doctor
    3. ... Nah, that's basically it.

I just cannot fathom how you folks are able to store and use that much insanely complicated information, in a rigorously logical context, with f-cking death on the line.
    I think you need to work with more chemical engineers based on that last paragraph
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      I think you need to work with more chemical engineers based on that last paragraph
      I'm impressed by plenty of people after working with them. That's not the trick.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Based on my experiences with Insurance Companies this year and their money grubbing system I'd have to say our Health Care system sucks. I get better service and more care about my needs from my home/auto insurer.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
          There are some doctors who aren't that impressive. I've had a few. Mostly I agree on doctors...especially surgeons. A special, gifted breed who can do those things. the folks who well deserve the big bucks in my opinion.

The vast majority in the medical field are the most caring, compassionate people you'll ever meet.
          I'm reminded of the following joke (Disclaimer: you might have to be in the field to see the humor):

Three physicians are out duck hunting. A bird flies by and the Pathologist stands up, shoots once and the bird drops. The dog retrieves the bird and the Pathologist states "A duck. Anas platyrhynchos"
          Another bird flies by and the Internist takes a shot. Upon retrieval by the dog, the Internist states "A duck. Rule out Goose. Rule out Swan. Rule out Loon." Another bird flies past and the Surgeon stands up and unloads all six shots into the air. Feathers and parts fly everywhere and there is nothing for the dog to retrieve. The Surgeon states "I have no idea what the Hel-l that was but I got it"
          "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
          Groucho Marx
          "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
          Ron White
          "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
          Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
            I'm reminded of the following joke (Disclaimer: you might have to be in the field to see the humor):

Three physicians are out duck hunting. A bird flies by and the Pathologist stands up, shoots once and the bird drops. The dog retrieves the bird and the Pathologist states "A duck. Anas platyrhynchos"
            Another bird flies by and the Internist takes a shot. Upon retrieval by the dog, the Internist states "A duck. Rule out Goose. Rule out Swan. Rule out Loon." Another bird flies past and the Surgeon stands up and unloads all six shots into the air. Feathers and parts fly everywhere and there is nothing for the dog to retrieve. The Surgeon states "I have no idea what the Hel-l that was but I got it"
            That's awesome but I like the idea of the surgeon using an RPG. "Give a man a knife, he wants to cut."
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
              I did a decade of dialysis combined between a first transplant and a 2nd. During that time several fellow dialysis patients suffering from acute failure came and then went for having recovered kidney function. Never heard of anyone being able to come off dialysis with chronic failure. Every Nephrologist I've ever had has told me function per chronic failure never returns to allow a patient coming off dialysis. Never witnessed that happening in those ten years. I have only known one reason a fellow patient stops coming to dialysis. Make that two...including transplant recipients.

I put off starting until I was too sick...not starting wasn't an option any longer, when my Nephrologist said it's time in no uncertain terms. I had fought him on it for quite awhile.
              Not being a nephrologist myself, I have never had the longitudinal follow up to see a ESRD come off of dialysis (nor used my medical license to put a patient on dialysis). By definition, ESRD means you should be dialysis dependent for life (pending transplant of course). However, I trained with several excellent nephrologists (and a few who were not) including a former president of the American Association of Nephrology, and I was told that although rare, it has happened. Judge that at face value I guess.

You are not alone in putting of dialysis. Hope things are going well with the transplant!
              Last edited by WisconsinWildcard; 08-12-2016, 07:42 PM.
              In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
              I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Aetna (AET) is sharply cutting its participation in Obamacare exchanges for 2017. The health insurer said it will offer individual Affordable Care Act (ACA) exchange plans in just four states, down from 15 this year, in an effort to reduce its losses.

"As a strong supporter of public exchanges as a means to meet the needs of the uninsured, we regret having to make this decision," Marc Bertolini, Aetna chairman and CEO, said in a statement.

The insurance giant says it will offer ACA exchange plans in Delaware, Iowa, Nebraska and Virginia, slashing its Obamacare footprint by 70 percent next year. It will offer ACA plans in just 242 counties, nationally, down from nearly 780 this year.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/healt...IOq?li=BBnb7Kz
                A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                  Aetna (AET) is sharply cutting its participation in Obamacare exchanges for 2017. The health insurer said it will offer individual Affordable Care Act (ACA) exchange plans in just four states, down from 15 this year, in an effort to reduce its losses.

"As a strong supporter of public exchanges as a means to meet the needs of the uninsured, we regret having to make this decision," Marc Bertolini, Aetna chairman and CEO, said in a statement.

The insurance giant says it will offer ACA exchange plans in Delaware, Iowa, Nebraska and Virginia, slashing its Obamacare footprint by 70 percent next year. It will offer ACA plans in just 242 counties, nationally, down from nearly 780 this year.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/healt...IOq?li=BBnb7Kz
                  They're also trying to consolidate the top 5 players down to 3 to eliminate competition...this is primarily to enforce pricing power over providers (hospitals) and consumers. The move is being contested by the government. No wonder they're lashing out against the same party but on the exchanges - an unrelated matter.

The exchanges allow consumers to shop for insurance with more transparency. No wonder insurance companies that are charging high rates for similar services don't like it. If you can't compete in a marketplace, you shouldn't participate.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Payback because the regulators blocked their merger. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Payback because the regulators blocked their merger. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
                      B.S. Notwithstanding all of your blathering about the "success" of the ACA, we know how it's going to turn out. Badly.

A year ago in Minnesota it was Medica which withdrew from the exchange. Then, a few months later, United Healthcare. Now this summer it was BlueCross BlueShield. Were all of these because some regulator somewhere "blocked a merger?"
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        B.S. Notwithstanding all of your blathering about the "success" of the ACA, we know how it's going to turn out. Badly.

A year ago in Minnesota it was Medica which withdrew from the exchange. Then, a few months later, United Healthcare. Now this summer it was BlueCross BlueShield. Were all of these because some regulator somewhere "blocked a merger?"
                        Does anyone around here have some real insight into this? ACA seemed to be a giveaway to the Insurance Companies. If the public option was available or we went to Medicare for all the insurance companies would be rubble. So, what gives? And if the extra money that everyone is paying into the system now isn't covering things how were they covered before? Cause I guarantee that people who weren't covered before were still getting Health Care. And supposedly in the more expensive Emergency Room variety. So, what gives? I don't get it.

We were told costs were supposed to go down and they're going nothing but up. Everywhere. And what they call affordable coverage is utter and complete BS.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I hate to keep humiliating you like this, but 20M extra people are covered and costs are lower than they would have been had the law not been passed. Only a total idiot or someone with an axe to grind would still be questioning this. If an insurer or insurers wants to leave a market that's their right. Any state that feels they are undercovered on the exchanges should utilize the law's existing provisions and set up their own public option.

So yes, occasionally an insurer will leave a marketplace...just like before the ACA. And sometimes rates will go up....just like before the ACA. The law isn't intended to prevent any of these things ever happening. However, its a simple judgment as to the law's success. Are we better off than before it went into effect? Answer: a clear yes. Even Fishy has given up the ghost on this for chrissakes.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            I hate to keep humiliating you like this, but 20M extra people are covered and costs are lower than they would have been had the law not been passed. Only a total idiot or someone with an axe to grind would still be questioning this. If an insurer or insurers wants to leave a market that's their right. Any state that feels they are undercovered on the exchanges should utilize the law's existing provisions and set up their own public option.

So yes, occasionally an insurer will leave a marketplace...just like before the ACA. And sometimes rates will go up....just like before the ACA. The law isn't intended to prevent any of these things ever happening. However, its a simple judgment as to the law's success. Are we better off than before it went into effect? Answer: a clear yes. Even Fishy has given up the ghost on this for chrissakes.
                            Is there documentation somewhere comparing what the costs would have been for a middle class family of (4) that always had coverage between keeping the old system and the ACA? if there is I'd like to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Is there documentation somewhere comparing what the costs would have been for a middle class family of (4) that always had coverage between keeping the old system and the ACA? if there is I'd like to see it.
                              I know nothing of the organization or the article's authors, but there are a two graphs for you to review. One might incite some people to action while the other may placate those who really want the PPACA to work yet others will note that while the trend is positive, it's not exactly what the country was promised back in 2009.

ETA: Also, read the actual article in which the graphs were presented. There are some important things actually stated by the writers to help their readers get a clearer picture of things.
                              Last edited by St. Clown; 08-17-2016, 09:26 AM.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                I know nothing of the organization or the article's authors, but there are a two graphs for you to review. One might incite some people to action while the other may placate those who really want the PPACA to work yet others will note that while the trend is positive, it's not exactly what the country was promised back in 2009.

ETA: Also, read the actual article in which the graphs were presented. There are some important things actually stated by the writers to help their readers get a clearer picture of things.
                                Never heard of them either but this seems well done. Also like how they pointed out medical care cost control seems to be getting better but prescription drug costs are rising too fast.

Comment

Working...
                                X