Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015 Open Wheel Racing - The Devil comes to Ferrari & the return Wayward Driver!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Open Wheel Racing - The Devil comes to Ferrari & the return Wayward Driver!!!

I figured it was time for 2015 thread.

I received an email today from Caterham that:

....negotiations in respect of the teams future are still ongoing at this time
    Although I highly doubt it, maybe they will make the grid for this upcoming season.

Also did anyone see that Perrinn who is currently in the process of finishing their design and eventual build of a 2016 WEC car, is going to start a design of a F1 car with the possibility of starting a new team. The new team will probably never happen but the car design and possible sale to a new (or current team) is interesting.
    My Four Favorite teams:
    RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
    Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Re: 2015 Open Wheel Racing - The Devil comes to Ferrari & the return Wayward Driver!!

Maybe marussia team is not dead.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Maybe marussia team is not dead.
      They're only mostly dead?

Comment

Re: 2015 Open Wheel Racing - The Devil comes to Ferrari & the return Wayward Driver!!

Apparently the Indycar's aerokits rules are very open to updating as frequently as you want, and are more open than F1's. I love the idea of an aerokit war.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Saw a news article that some of the day Asian races will start one hour earlier to ensure that there is 4 hrs of sunlight at race start.
          http://wtop.com/motorsports/2015/01/...ier-this-year/

And, sadly, Robert Manzon, last surviving driver from the 1950 Championship has died:

McClaren and CNN have partnered up: http://wtop.com/motorsports/2015/01/...ier-this-year/

Sayonara to Korea: http://wtop.com/motorsports/2015/01/...f-f1-calendar/
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Already wins the award for the most non-shocking news of the year even though it's only January...
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

F1 talking 1000 hp is awesome. Now bring back the noise

Indycar - they really cannot get out of their own way. I bet for people under 30 it's impossible to imagine that Indycar was once a major player in sports. First they re-hire Brian Barnhart, then they lose Brazil, not to mention 12 cars in a 22 car field are from 3 teams...I think when all is said and done they'll have to fold and if they return from the ashes it will be the INDY 500 as a stand alone event with open rules and whatever the other races are will be run under a separate sanctioning body
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                F1 talking 1000 hp is awesome. Now bring back the noise

Indycar - they really cannot get out of their own way. I bet for people under 30 it's impossible to imagine that Indycar was once a major player in sports. First they re-hire Brian Barnhart, then they lose Brazil, not to mention 12 cars in a 22 car field are from 3 teams...I think when all is said and done they'll have to fold and if they return from the ashes it will be the INDY 500 as a stand alone event with open rules and whatever the other races are will be run under a separate sanctioning body
                Just remember, Tony George needed to fix the sport. And all his minions and Indy 500 stooges went "Rah, Rah, Tony."

And out the other end came excrement.

They all got exactly what they deserved ... a dead sport.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  Just remember, Tony George needed to fix the sport. And all his minions and Indy 500 stooges went "Rah, Rah, Tony."

And out the other end came excrement.

They all got exactly what they deserved ... a dead sport.
                  Here's something that sucks for me- I figured it would be a good ideal to get interest in the sport by moving to a more stock based engine formula, but TG did that. Ouch for me.

Still- there are major problems with top end of open wheel racing- while it's always, always been expensive, there have been really strong times where one could get a pretty decent car by buying a package of stuff and putting it together. The 70s in F1 were helped a lot by companies who knew where to get a good collection of off the shelf parts and putting in a Cosworth engine. Can't do that now. The 80's were good for Indy car becuase you could buy either a March or Lola for a reasonable price, and put a Cosworth or later an Illmore engine in it. Now that's even out of range.

Now that I think about it- if I were running Indycar, I would totally abandon any races outside of North America- huge money savings. While it's great to race in Brazil- we were getting money and drivers from there LONG before they raced down there. I would also space out the races to make sense to the teams- so that IF there were accidents, there's time between races to do something. I would also totally go to Sunday afternoon for virtually all of the races- the leave Saturday night to the locals, as it's always been. Plus, having a consistent time to race helps the fans a lot.

I always thought racing was more fun when aero was less- and one of the best races was when they ran a superspeedway package on a mile oval. So make that the normal, and make the SS package even less. (keeping the nominal ground effects).

For now, I'd leave the engines alone- just to keep them stable, and to make sure who is making them can supply the field. Would like to figure out if there was a way to have the unique "stock block" engines so that the one offs can come and run Indy with an interesting package- that would be tough, seeing what Mercedes did for the pushrod engine rule. But those Buick V6's were fun, if they could only survive.

Not sure if that would work. But it would be simpler, somewhat, and attract more teams to try IN the US. Let's re-establish Indy car in the US before trying to do what CART was briefly able to do.

Comment

Check out Chevy's aerokit, pics are online. My initial gut reaction was "cool". It's a little "wingy", but it's quite a departure from the standard Dallara, which looked boring. Now let's see what Honda's looks like.

Ferrari looked good in testing, but Mercedes had by far the highest speedtrap speed, so they could have been sandbagging in the corners.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      Check out Chevy's aerokit, pics are online. My initial gut reaction was "cool". It's a little "wingy", but it's quite a departure from the standard Dallara, which looked boring. Now let's see what Honda's looks like.

Ferrari looked good in testing, but Mercedes had by far the highest speedtrap speed, so they could have been sandbagging in the corners.
                      I really like the Chevy aero kit's affect on the look of the car. Now it looks quite a bit more racy

Did you see the Ferrari F1 future concept? http://www.racer.com/f1/item/113512-...future-concept

ugh...may as well enclose the cockpit and have no difference between nascar and the former open-wheel series, eh?

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

I really like the Chevy aero kit's affect on the look of the car. Now it looks quite a bit more racy

Did you see the Ferrari F1 future concept? http://www.racer.com/f1/item/113512-...future-concept

ugh...may as well enclose the cockpit and have no difference between nascar and the former open-wheel series, eh?
                        Wouldn't this concept be more closely related to a LMP1 than a NASCAR car?
                        SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                        UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                        Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                        Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                        UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                        UMD Men: 2011

Comment

I kinda liked it, but I'm not sure where it would race. Now what I loved is the Ford GT that I saw from the Chicago Auto Show. Freaking amazing car.

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
                            yep,...I should have said sports cars

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
                              I went back and looked at it and the release says it's a futuristic F1 car.

The FIA people must be bored, they just banned in season helmet design changes....talk about over-thinking it.

Comment

Working...
                              X