Happy Birthday, Dr. King !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday, Dr. King !

Had he lived, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. would be celebrating his 86th birthday today.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. King !

I remember hearing Dr. King speak when I was in elementary school. While a bit young at that time to understand everything that was going on, I was really affected by how much everyone hearing him was moved, not only by his words, but by the cadence and passion with which he expressed himself. The tears in the eyes of so many grownups around me during his speech was really striking.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Nice. Now there's a worthy tribute.

I love change and compassion. And not sure if anyone has ever epitomized both better.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

I remember quite clearly the day Dr. King was murdered.

There were big, billowing black clouds of smoke filling the air less than a mile from our house.

Neighborhood kids that we grew up with, used to play with, went to school with, without any of us ever giving it a second thought, suddenly were cold, removed, distant.

Their moms, who had invited us inside, made it clear we were no longer welcome. When we invited our erstwhile friends home with us, we learned that they no longer wanted to come inside.

Sad days and weeks and months. In some ways, our nation still hasn't recovered.

Comment

While the federal holiday is Monday, today is the actual anniversary of the Reverend's birthday.

Had the good Doctor lived, he would be 87 today.

I suspect the world would have been a better place for that.

Comment

Working...
          X