Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2015: Define Yourself.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2015: Define Yourself.

So, it's 2015... what are your fitness goals for this year? Mine are as follows:

1. Maintain this weight of 220. I'm registered for the Grand Rapids Triathlon and Tri Del Sol as a Clydesdale (male athlete 220 and over), and I want to stay that way.

2. Lose a couple more inches off my waist and hips. I'd like to wear a size 36 pair of jeans again and squeeze back into my size large shirts.

3. Finish my first two sprint triathlons (0.5 mile swim/12.75 mile bike/3.1 mile run).

4. Finish the Groundhog Marathon Whole Hog (1/6 moonlight marathon, 26.2 the next morning), the Fifth-Third River Bank Run 5K/25K combination, the Old Farts Trail Marathon, and the Twin Cities Marathon Ultra Loony Challenge (5K/10K/Marathon).

5. Keep up the yoga and cross-training. Cross-Training will be essential in keeping resolution #1.

6. Bring more whole food snacks to work instead of relying on Clif bars for breaks.

7. Curb caffeine after noon.

8. Stop dining out as much. I have a slow cooker, and I can use it for nights I close at work, instead of going to the Subway or Panera Bread across the street from work.

That's it for me... you?
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2015: Define Yourself.

I just want to stay healthy. whatever else I do is gravy
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I did reasonably well in 2014.

I'd say my goal is just a little bit more consistency and to keep mixing things up so as to avoid any of the overuse tweaks / pains / minor injuries that seem to occur more now in my 40's than they did in my 20's.

Comment

I weighed in at fat man camp yesterday, 235lbs. I was 358lbs back in February, and I'd like to get down to 215-220lbs this year as my maintenance level. That'll leave me with a healthy body fat percentage. I think that I can get there sometime in March, maybe early April. Then the challenge starts.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I'm looking into situations where I can get both physical training and emotional support. I don't want to pay out the wazoo but I fear that's probably something that needs to happen. In an ideal world I find a gym buddy I can rely on... but if I do I'd be waiting forever and ever and ever.

That being said, I still want it to be within the barbell paradigm or interval work... the only time the two streams cross is the world of cross-fit... which is mondo expensive.

Either way I'm coming to a realization that I really need to get on to this sooner in my life. Being back home or in Lowell or with my buddy in CT has made me realize I need better support structures and I need to find people. Because I have plenty of supportive people in those realms. If I have to pay for that support, it sucks but it may be necessary. The only issue is the money vacuum that's my therapist. I'm sure he'd be all for me looking to improve... and I feel I'm getting help for the money I'm paying... but tradeoffs are still tradeoffs. I'll take a look.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

1. I'd like to lose about another 5-8 lbs and get to ~170.

2. Run at least five 5K's

3. Run a 10k

4. Eat less carbs. I'm a carb whore.

5. Completely give up meat. This won't an issue until Thanksgiving. That is the only day this past year I had any. **** turkey.

6. Continue to cut back on dairy. This isn't a big problem except for cheese. I haven't found a substitute that I like yet. For any other dairy product I have found a subsitiute I like.
            My Four Favorite teams:
            RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
            Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
              1. I'd like to lose about another 5-8 lbs and get to ~170.

2. Run at least five 5K's

3. Run a 10k

4. Eat less carbs. I'm a carb whore.

5. Completely give up meat. This won't an issue until Thanksgiving. That is the only day this past year I had any. **** turkey.

6. Continue to cut back on dairy. This isn't a big problem except for cheese. I haven't found a substitute that I like yet. For any other dairy product I have found a subsitiute I like.
              If you have five minutes and a food processor, try this: macadamia nut "ricotta" from Nom Nom Paleo
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

1. Get my fat *** back in shape. Improve my cardio and endurance.
                2. Target weight = 180 lbs by 12/31/2015
                3. Eat a GD salad once in a while. Call it once a week. At least.
                4. Eat breakfast. Oatmeal four days a week, minimum. The other day I'll probably have to wing it and do something else that's quick and tasty.
                5. Eat smaller portions at dinner. I really need to figure out how to control portions without dying of hunger.

I have completely regressed and I'm back to my starting weight. Oddly enough it's because I'm playing soccer. Bear with me.

When I first started last year I had soccer on Sundays. Since it was outdoor soccer, I was usually in good enough condition and injury-free by Monday. I could then do the P90X routine all week and be fine by the following Sunday. With it being indoor soccer season now, I'm taking longer to recover from the increased wear and tear. So by the time I'm ready for P90X again, it's too late to make it in before Wednesday without being so stiff and sore. It's a horrible cycle.

I think I'm going to try and get in just the plyo and/or kenpo on a Friday weekend where the Goofs are off to get those two routines back in. If I can do that I can start to work them in more frequently since I'll be less sore by the Wednesday after. It will then allow me that extra day or two a week where I can start shedding again. I was down to 190 within a month or two (and a major injury in between).

Excuses, excuses, I know. But I have to be realistic or I'm going to get completely burned out trying to balance work, soccer, additional workouts, and life.
                Last edited by dxmnkd316; 01-05-2015, 05:18 PM.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  5. Eat smaller portions at dinner. I really need to figure out how to control portions without dying of hunger.
                  Eat lean protiens, vegetables with low glycemic index values (won't spike your blood sugar) and healthy fats. If you're going to eat some bread, make it whole wheat, and keep it to one slice. This will help keep your hunger in control.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Cut down on the beer after hockey games/during rounds of golf.
                    cut down on the pop to no more than 2 per day, esp. on weekends.
                    Hopefully get back to hovering around 190 rather than the 200 I've been at this winter.

Hit the treadmill twice/wk while the weather sucks
                    Once the weather gets better, rollerblade 4x/wk instead of 3 like last year.
                    Do the Minnesota Half Marathon skate in August.
                    improve my time at the Northshore Inline Marathon in Duluth in September (did 2:21 last year, hoping to get to 2:10 or better this year).

Comment

I didn't know you lived in Minnesota.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                        These are some great vegan cheeses: http://miyokoskitchen.com/products-miyoko/
                        Old Monster Records

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          I didn't know you lived in Minnesota.
                          Iowa. But plenty of friends and family in the twin cities.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                            If you have five minutes and a food processor, try this: macadamia nut "ricotta" from Nom Nom Paleo
                            Thanks Bob! I will give it a shot. The two cheeses that I can't find good substitutes for are ricotta and mozzarella. Hard cheeses, yogurt, and milk are not a problem.

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
                            These are some great vegan cheeses: http://miyokoskitchen.com/products-miyoko/
                            I'll look into this also. Thanks!
                            Last edited by MattS; 01-06-2015, 07:56 AM.
                            My Four Favorite teams:
                            RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                            Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              cut down on the pop to no more than 2 per day, esp. on weekends.
                              This is a big one....and reducing / eliminating soda is on my list too.

I read in Men's Health magazine a while back, that if the average American male made no changes in their lifestyle / diet other than to replace soda consumption with water, they would lose over 10 lbs in a year.

Comment

Working...
                              X