Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2015: Define Yourself.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Finished my last long run (8 mi) last night before this weekend's BAA half marathon. Put in some nice splits at the back end so it was probably one of my best runs to date.

I'll take it easy this week and throw in a few miles here and there and hopefully I'll be ready to do some damage on Sunday.
    Awesome! Sounds like you did the training so you should be in good shape.

Comment

• Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2015: Define Yourself.

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      Finished my last long run (8 mi) last night before this weekend's BAA half marathon. Put in some nice splits at the back end so it was probably one of my best runs to date.

I'll take it easy this week and throw in a few miles here and there and hopefully I'll be ready to do some damage on Sunday.
      Go get em today! You do not need luck.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Smashing success. Finished about 8 mins higher than expected; a smidge under 2:02:00.

Weather was perfect. Had a very good runner keep with me and pace me. Biggest issue was that I was using Runkeeper and according to that we were going around 9:08 every 5 mins it reported to me and we were expecting to be under 2 hours as a result. Depending on the accuracy of Runkeeper and the course measurement (I assume shortest distance on the course and not middle of the road?), we seemed to run 13.34 miles so the pacing was kinda right but not straight up according to where we were on the course.
        Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 10-13-2015, 09:47 AM.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Smashing success. Finished about 8 mins higher than expected; a smidge under 2:02:00.
          nice work! when's the full marathon?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post

Weather was perfect. Had a very good runner keep with me and pace me. Biggest issue was that I was using Runkeeper and according to that we were going around 9:08 every 5 mins it reported to me and we were expecting to be under 2 hours as a result. Depending on the accuracy of Runkeeper and the course measurement (I assume shortest distance on the course and not middle of the road?), we seemed to run 13.34 miles so the pacing was kinda right but not straight up according to where we were on the course.
            Courses are measured at the shortest possible distance. No one ever actually runs that route, so you will always run some extra tenths of a mile over any significantly long race. That's also why pacers are supposed to check timing at official mile markers and not "Garmin time."

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
              nice work! when's the full marathon?
              Uh... never.

Ugh. Ok maybe next year.
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Fantastic work!

And in a nonstop quest to push myself, I signed up for the Hungerford Games 50 mile trail race on 9/24/2016. It will be my first race beyond the 26.2 mark.
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

You crazy.

Comment

You crazy.
                    But I need to be smart, too. I know a strong core, strong glutes, and strong hamstrings will be needed to pull this off. As for my nutrition, I think that's in line. I just need to eat more.

Comment

I think to run 50 miles in less than 12 hours, I will need to eat 4,000-4,500 calories a day.

Training plans will have me running 30-35 miles as my peak long run.

Comment

That is such a time commitment on the training part of it... I don't know how anyone does it (although I suppose before kids I could pretty much whatever the heck I wanted). My boss is down in Maryland for the regional IronMan this weekend. The time he spent to train is just insane (and he has kids).

Comment

That is such a time commitment on the training part of it... I don't know how anyone does it (although I suppose before kids I could pretty much whatever the heck I wanted). My boss is down in Maryland for the regional IronMan this weekend. The time he spent to train is just insane (and he has kids).
                          That's pretty much it. I don't have kids, and all I have is a part time job, so I have the time.

Comment

What does 4,000 calories look like on a balanced diet?

3.5 cups of fruit.
                            5 cups of vegetables
                            12 oz grains
                            10.5 oz of meat/beans
                            6 cups dairy
                            11 tsp fat/oil
                            462 discretionary calories...

Thus why I need to see a dietitian. I have a general idea of what that looks like, but I need help with meal planning and fleshing out the details.

Comment

Completed my first half trail marathon this weekend. I did it in 3:02...but it was slighly more than 13 miles. Thought I was going to be below 3 hours, another time. I really enjoyed training for it and want to do more running. Would like to do a marathon or 50k someday as well. Trail running > regular running.
                              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

And after two weeks of Les Mills Combat and two weeks of Groundhog Marathon training:

33.5" waist (down from 34")
                                39" hips (down from 40")
                                37" chest (down from 37.5")

No big secret... just hard work, and a lot of it. And in terms of my diet, no shortcuts there, either. Just smarter decision making.

Comment

Working...
                                X