Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009 MLB Thread, Part II: Claimed Off The Waiver Wire

Originally posted by jen View Post
    Milton Bradley to Mariners for Carlos Silva - http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ml...ory?id=4754761
    I'm not sure who made out worse in that trade. I suppose the Cubs might have done slightly better by getting some money in the deal.
    Last edited by The Paragon of Virtue; 12-18-2009, 02:35 PM.

Comment

The Cubs came out miles ahead, just due to getting rid of Bradley. He's got more baggage than most airlines.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        The Cubs came out miles ahead, just due to getting rid of Bradley. He's got more baggage than most airlines.
        I have the opposite view. The Mariners came out miles ahead because Milton Bradley has the potential to be a positive contributor to the Mariners. He might flame out, but he has the potential to be worth something.

You cannot say the same about Silva who should be out of baseball.
        Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Well, Cleveland, San Diego and Chicago have all had issues with Bradley. The guy's a ticking time bomb where ever he goes. It's just a matter of time until he goes boom, and it's usually sooner rather than later.

If and when Silva flames out, they're out the salary, and the Cubs can move on. They don't have to deal with the cancer that is Bradley.

God, that was fun...

Comment

I don't think I'd pitch Silva on days the wind is blowing out at Wrigley.
            R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by NUJerseyJohn View Post
              Wait, you want to see (and more importantly hear) more of/from Lupica? What's wrong with you?
              You're missing the key phrase:

I don't watch anymore

GLM, I wasn't comparing the size of the city, I was comparing the location. Specifically, the proximity to ESPNHQ in Connect-the-dot.

But I'm sure all you see are Red Sox, and that's OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                GLM, I wasn't comparing the size of the city, I was comparing the location. Specifically, the proximity to ESPNHQ in Connect-the-dot.

But I'm sure all you see are Red Sox, and that's OK.
                Nah, not so much that. I just see someone that's supposed to be the world wide leader in sports being a pack of lazy arses.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                  Nah, not so much that. I just see someone that's supposed to be the world wide leader in sports being a pack of lazy arses.
                  Is it that they're lazy or cheap?
                  Or both

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    Is it that they're lazy or cheap?
                    Or both
                    I'll vote on lazy. They're certainly not cheap.

Comment

If and when Silva flames out, they're out the salary, and the Cubs can move on. They don't have to deal with the cancer that is Bradley.
                      If? When? Have you not watched Carlos Silva pitch lately?

Comment

Originally posted by The Paragon of Virtue View Post
                        Lately?
                        St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Fine. But Bradley is just as likely to slug his 3rd base coach in the mouth trying to score on a sac fly.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Fine. But Bradley is just as likely to slug his 3rd base coach in the mouth trying to score on a sac fly.
                            Maybe so, but he led the AL in OPS in 2008. If the Mariners can keep his head on even remotely straight, they've just picked up a legitimate middle-of-the-order bat for pennies on the dollar, and they don't have to worry about his crappy fielding either.
                            Cornell University Men's Hockey
                            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                              I don't think I'd pitch Silva on days the wind is blowing out at Wrigley.
                              Actually, I don't think I'd pitch Silva unless the Cubs were out of range of winning anyways regardless of wind speed and direction.

Bradley is a nutcase and a moron. He's a locker room cancer and he's not afraid to use the media to make himself look mentally ill. THAT BEING SAID, Bradley is BY FAR the better player.

BY EFFING FAR.

The only thing that was said about Silva's departure from Minnesota was all the neighborhood buffets posting signs say "NOW OFFERING FOOD" apart from the economic depression KFC and other fried chicken joints felt when Matthew LeCroy left town.

Silva's good seasons with Minnesota (I admit I didn't know him from anything before he came to Minnesota from... PIT I believe) were a FLUKE! An absolute FLUKE and everyone but Seattle (and now Chicago) knew it. I think the real reason why Silva was good was: RICK ANDERSON and Ron Gardenhire. PERIOD.

So, I know most of you have stopped reading by now but here's my take overall. Chicago was going to lose regardless of who took the bait. It really didn't matter. Financially, Chicago gets $6 million or so to pursue a CF (too bad Cameron is off the market). So, it's not bad financially really... for both teams.

On the field, I agree with Buster Olney (I think it was)... Bradley is prime for DH duty but he's getting paid to do what I think the M's would want in that case: Someone to spill Junior every now and then. Is Bradley going to be a really expensive bit player for the M's? Where does he fit on the field?

I predict Silva will start the year as the 5th Starter beating out Pinella's whipping boy Sean Marshall and whoever the heck else now that Harden is gone and the Cubs were never really in the running for any big name starters anyhow. He'll quickly be demoted to Marshall's role and someone like Caridad or perhaps Marshall or Samardzinja (sp) moving into the rotation. He'll sport a nice ERA of somewhere between 9 and 9.80 as a starter and finish the year on a roll, getting his ERA down to between 6.00-8.00 range. He will lead the team's relievers in the number of Holds blown. Smart coaching will put him in no more than 2 innings, 3 if absolutely necessary and his leash will be extremely short...

it doesn't matter what Hendry really did. He should have been fired years ago anyways.

On a separate note: Mike Gonzalez signed with Baltimore. If this is the same one that pitched with Atlanta last year, that's too bad. I was hoping the Cubs would make a serious run at him.
                              Last edited by redwing77; 12-18-2009, 10:22 PM.
                              Fire Greg Shepherd!!!!

It's spelled S I O U X

We didn't win a championship, but we won a lot of respect. - Cary Eades, North Dakota Fighting Sioux Assistant Coach (Thanks PCM)

Comment

No one has watched him pitch lately. He made like 8 appearances last year due to injury.

But I'm sure you meant his like 8 ERA the last couple years.
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X