• MissThundercat
    replied
    Re: 2009 MLB Thread, Part II: Claimed Off The Waiver Wire

Mariners lock up King Felix

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

PITTSBURGH -- Outfielder Ryan Church has reached a preliminary agreement with the Pittsburgh Pirates on a $1.5 million, one-year guaranteed contract that could pay him an additional $1.32 million in performance bonuses.

The Pirates also agreed to minor league contracts with right-hander Brian Bass, catcher Luke Carlin and outfielder-first baseman Brian Myrow. Bass, 28, was 5-3 with a 4.90 ERA while pitching 86 1-3 innings for Baltimore last season, the second most among AL relievers. Carlin played in 10 games with Arizona last season and 36 games with San Diego in 2008.

---HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!!!!

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    So what, $20 million? That doesn't make a huge difference when supposedly we can't afford to spend more than $75 million per year as you say. If you think Mauer will take much more of a discount than that well then you need to put the bong down
    I read in the paper a couple weeks ago that the writer (one of the sports guys at the strib, and not the crazy old man) believed that with signing Mauer at $20mil per, and the other current contracts, the Twins will be pushing the payroll to around $100 mil per year. I hope they actually do up the payroll like he suggested.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

So what, $20 million? That doesn't make a huge difference when supposedly we can't afford to spend more than $75 million per year as you say. If you think Mauer will take much more of a discount than that well then you need to put the bong down

Leave a comment:

• UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
    replied

That isnt the point, you make it sound like they cant sign people and that is a crock and you know it. What was their salary last year? How much of it was subsidized by revenue sharing and other league mandates. Now they are handed a stadium...they can spend whatever they want, the only thing holding them back is themselves.

And for the record, I dont want them spending that kind of money but look at what they supposedly offered Washburn, 1 year $5 million. This is a team that needs pitching and they try and lowball the one dude they go after? (not to mention they didn't even make a real effort at any of the mid-range free agents out there depsite the rumors)

Well whatever it will be funny when they sign Mauer for $25 million a year and it is an anchor on the franchise for 10 years because they are gonna continue to pretend they are the little sisters of the pour.
    Nobody is financially incapable of signing whatever players they want, but the reality of the game right now dictates the high price free agents are out of Minnesota's reach much like they are the Braves, Reds, Astros, etc. etc. And for what it's worth, I don't think Mauer's going to demand 25 mil per. I suspect he'll be a little more reasonable than that. Not that the kid isn't worth it in today's market. I think the Twins get a hometown discount.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

That isnt the point, you make it sound like they cant sign people and that is a crock and you know it. What was their salary last year? How much of it was subsidized by revenue sharing and other league mandates. Now they are handed a stadium...they can spend whatever they want, the only thing holding them back is themselves.

And for the record, I dont want them spending that kind of money but look at what they supposedly offered Washburn, 1 year $5 million. This is a team that needs pitching and they try and lowball the one dude they go after? (not to mention they didn't even make a real effort at any of the mid-range free agents out there depsite the rumors)

Well whatever it will be funny when they sign Mauer for $25 million a year and it is an anchor on the franchise for 10 years because they are gonna continue to pretend they are the little sisters of the pour.

Leave a comment:

• UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
    replied

Originally posted by Bronco View Post
    That, and he's probably already a 35 year old.
    The Reds will probably try and trade him for Bronson Arroyo.

Leave a comment:

• UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
    replied

Remotely afford? They can afford a lot they CHOOSE not to spend a lot. That is not about affording anything, it is about being cheap. They know they can get away with signing no one and the new stadium will be sold out for this season. It is greed and laziness plain and simple.
    They're not going to make a run at Holliday for 7/120. Sorry. Very few teams can make that kind of commitment without overextending their budget. Especially since the free agent pool was thin this year, and they still have Mauer to deal with. So, not really about being cheap, it's about having some priorities. You really think they were going to offer something on Lackey or Figgins? Maybe Jason Bay? Come on.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by jen View Post
    in other breaking news, the earth is round.
    That's news in Kansas

Leave a comment:

• jen
    replied

in other breaking news, the earth is round.

Leave a comment:

• Terrierbyassociation
    replied

McGwire admits steroid use.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4816607

NEW YORK -- Mark McGwire finally came clean Monday, admitting he used steroids when he broke baseball's home run record in 1998.

McGwire said in a statement sent to The Associated Press on Monday that he used steroids on and off for nearly a decade.

"I wish I had never touched steroids," McGwire said in a statement. "It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era."

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing View Post
    Considering the lack of free agent talent that the Twins could remotely afford, it's not surprising. Also, they'll need to break the bank to resign Mauer next winter.

That and the Pohlad family is not known for being free spenders.
    Remotely afford? They can afford a lot they CHOOSE not to spend a lot. That is not about affording anything, it is about being cheap. They know they can get away with signing no one and the new stadium will be sold out for this season. It is greed and laziness plain and simple.

Leave a comment:

• Bronco
    replied

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
    His arm will end up falling off because of the gross incompetence of the Reds pitching coaches anyway.
    That, and he's probably already a 35 year old.

Leave a comment:

• Dude Love
    replied

His arm will end up falling off because of the gross incompetence of the Reds pitching coaches anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Malts18
    replied

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    ??????? nyy or bos couldn't do better than $30MM for a flyer?!?
    If he were gonna be THAT GOOD, the would have gone for more than $6m per yr... the kid has some nice stuff apparently, but if the Reds got him, he ain't all that and a bag of chips, right?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X