Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 114th Congress: How Low Can They Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BassAle
    replied
    Re: The 114th Congress: How Low Can They Go?

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    To the extent the government both owns the cemeteries and cemeteries not being traditional places of public expression (like say, a state capitol), it has the right to express its own speech or limit the expression of contrary speech.

This was the issue in the license plate case that came up a year or two ago before SCOTUS. The Court found that license plates were the government's speech, not the driver's, and the state could limit, our allow, pretty much whatever it deemed appropriate.

In Maine they recently decided long time restrictions on vanity license plates were limiting people's free speech rights, so now lots of things that were previously banned from license plates are now allowed.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I don't think the government should be in the business of banning any form of speech. It just makes my skin crawl.

That last paragraph is exactly the scenario I was picturing.
    To the extent the government both owns the cemeteries and cemeteries not being traditional places of public expression (like say, a state capitol), it has the right to express its own speech or limit the expression of contrary speech.

This was the issue in the license plate case that came up a year or two ago before SCOTUS. The Court found that license plates were the government's speech, not the driver's, and the state could limit, our allow, pretty much whatever it deemed appropriate.
    Last edited by unofan; 05-20-2016, 11:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Further information:
    http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...nal-cemeteries

Oddly enough, my Rep Betty McCollum voted "present."

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I think the ban is wrong unless we actually go the whole way and ban the flag like the Germans banned the swastika (and I don't think we should do that, unless we ban the old union flags as they were also associated with slaveholding).

I can see not having the states have the symbol in their modern flags. But if it's a confederate soldier's grave, and the flag is not illegal, then this regulation seems unconstitutional to me, or at least A Bad Idea.
    I don't think the government should be in the business of banning any form of speech. It just makes my skin crawl.

That last paragraph is exactly the scenario I was picturing.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I despise the symbolism behind this, but I despise the ban on it even more:
    http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Upd...meteries-video

ETA: To clarify, I don't think the government should be placing the flags in cemeteries, but if someone wants to do it themselves, we're crossing into dangerous freedom of speech issues here.
    I think the ban is wrong unless we actually go the whole way and ban the flag like the Germans banned the swastika (and I don't think we should do that, unless we ban the old union flags as they were also associated with slaveholding).

I can see not having the states have the symbol in their modern flags. But if it's a confederate soldier's grave, and the flag is not illegal, then this regulation seems unconstitutional to me, or at least A Bad Idea.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

I despise the symbolism behind this, but I despise the ban on it even more:
    http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Upd...meteries-video

ETA: To clarify, I don't think the government should be placing the flags in cemeteries, but if someone wants to do it themselves, we're crossing into dangerous freedom of speech issues here.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 05-20-2016, 08:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    They Also Dont Think Discrimination Matters Much

The GOP just loves to make themselves look like bigots...so afraid to lose that Jesus Money!
    The GOP would have defended the "religious liberty" to burn witches at Salem.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

They Also Dont Think Discrimination Matters Much

The GOP just loves to make themselves look like bigots...so afraid to lose that Jesus Money!

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied
    So, Congress thinks Zika is nothing to worry about. Good to know.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Awesome. Love it.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

He needed to retire after the '08 election, so I won't be shedding any tears for the guy if he's forced out.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Good God. John McCain might get primaried.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Oh please, please, please...

Tim Canova, the upstart liberal who’s challenging Democratic National Committee chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz for her congressional seat, is about to become a million-dollar candidate.

Fueled by small-dollar donors who give to Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders, Canova said that, by the weekend, he’ll be on pace to have raised $1 million since he officially entered the race Jan. 7.
    DWS must go down, and she must go down hard.

What I would not give for a post-DWS DNC.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-11-2016, 10:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

This seems unlikely.

Paul Nehlen, a Wisconsin businessman and one-time Ryan supporter, found himself so aggrieved by the Speaker’s endorsement of the Trans-Pacific Partnership that he’s now hoping to take control of Wisconsin’s 1st congressional district in the August primary. The TPP is a trade agreement that seeks to stoke economic growth among the 12 countries involved, though critics say it will harm U.S. workers by moving jobs to developing countries.

In the video, the sleeveless shirt-wearing, woman-toting, motorcycle-cruising Nehlen offers Ryan the chance to “come back to Wisconsin and debate me man to man, face to face, on the realities of TPP. And if you don’t want to debate me, maybe we can arm wrestle.”

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
    One step forward, two steps back...
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b01a5ebde596da
    What a despicable bunch of aholes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X