Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 114th Congress: How Low Can They Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 114th Congress: How Low Can They Go?

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Yes he was a moron but he had an ability to connect with both the base of angry white people and the big money campaign contributors looking for tax cuts or defense spending dollars. The problem now is even if a candidate could unite those two factions, they've dwindled too much to get you over the finish line.
    They can still deliver a House majority, though. The Great Dying of hard righties is an existential threat to the knucks, but it proceeds on a glacial time scale. In the meantime, as long as voter suppression measures are upheld by the courts, the Republicans ought to be able to hold on to a large enough bloc in each chamber to sabotage the country, and then turn the anger caused by that inaction into more resentment and more votes form its base. It's a terrible long-term strategy, but at the tactical level it works (kind of).
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Ryan may want to rethink becoming Speaker.

Earlier this week, Boehner and other GOP leaders were prepared to start the inevitable game of legislative volleyball with the Senate: They would put a bill on the floor as soon as Friday that would raise the debt ceiling through early 2017, plus make sweeping changes to the annual congressional budget process.

That proposal, dubbed the “Terms of Credit Act,” bore the imprimatur of the Republican Study Committee and appeared to be an ideal conservative starting point for demanding concessions as a condition of extending the nation’s borrowing authority — before Republicans would ultimately have to swallow a “clean” bill.

However, a whip count Wednesday night showed the RSC measure didn’t have the GOP votes to proceed.
      That's bad news, folks.
      Cornell University
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        They can still deliver a House majority, though. The Great Dying of hard righties is an existential threat to the knucks, but it proceeds on a glacial time scale. In the meantime, as long as voter suppression measures are upheld by the courts, the Republicans ought to be able to hold on to a large enough bloc in each chamber to sabotage the country, and then turn the anger caused by that inaction into more resentment and more votes form its base. It's a terrible long-term strategy, but at the tactical level it works (kind of).
        Regarding the House, Dems need to play hardball. States of Florida, Ohio, and Michigan allow for citizens ballot initiatives. Put question on ballot in time for 2016 general election to take redisctricting out of partisan hands and into independent commission. Lawsuit in FL has thus far been successful. Keep pursuing VA and TX ones. Netting a seat or two here and there is crucial, given that there's 26 Goopers sitting in Obama seats in a 30 seat majority.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Regarding the House, Dems need to play hardball. States of Florida, Ohio, and Michigan allow for citizens ballot initiatives. Put question on ballot in time for 2016 general election to take redisctricting out of partisan hands and into independent commission. Lawsuit in FL has thus far been successful. Keep pursuing VA and TX ones. Netting a seat or two here and there is crucial, given that there's 26 Goopers sitting in Obama seats in a 30 seat majority.
          None of it matters of we don't capture state legs. I wish we had non-partisan district drawing in every state, but in the short term at least it's foolish to pin all our hopes on what is a very slow, politically vicious, trudge through blood and quicksand.

Here is the composition of current legs.

Here are the 2016 swing states:

NV: straight R
          CO: Split, D adv
          IA: Split, R adv
          OH: Straight R
          VA: Split, no adv
          FL: Straight R
          NH: Split, no adv

Bad news for the good guys. Overall it's even worse. In state legs, R controls 30, D controls 11, the rest are split. That's a huge systemic advantage for the bad guys when it comes time to draw districts, and it results in stuff like the Democrats having a one million vote advantage in Congressional elections in 2014 and still being a voiceless minority in the House. Likewise R has 31 governorships, and we've seen how that is shortening the Dem bench both for president and also Senate races.
          Cornell University

Comment

You're shortchanging W's political skills. Yes he was a moron but he had an ability to connect with both the base of angry white people and the big money campaign contributors looking for tax cuts or defense spending dollars. The problem now is even if a candidate could unite those two factions, they've dwindled too much to get you over the finish line.
            Not to mention, he had the Xtians believing he was a godfearing bible thumper despite being a coked out partier. The man could play the game...
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Not to mention, he had the Xtians believing he was a godfearing bible thumper despite being a coked out partier. The man could play the game...
              None of that was him. It was all turd blossom.
              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                None of that was him. It was all turd blossom.
                While that is true, Rubio has none of that. Rubio is a darker skinned Scott Walker who is a bit less of a mouth breather. He will get trounced.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  None of it matters of we don't capture state legs. I wish we had non-partisan district drawing in every state, but in the short term at least it's foolish to pin all our hopes on what is a very slow, politically vicious, trudge through blood and quicksand.

Here is the composition of current legs.

Here are the 2016 swing states:

NV: straight R
                  CO: Split, D adv
                  IA: Split, R adv
                  OH: Straight R
                  VA: Split, no adv
                  FL: Straight R
                  NH: Split, no adv

Bad news for the good guys. Overall it's even worse. In state legs, R controls 30, D controls 11, the rest are split. That's a huge systemic advantage for the bad guys when it comes time to draw districts, and it results in stuff like the Democrats having a one million vote advantage in Congressional elections in 2014 and still being a voiceless minority in the House. Likewise R has 31 governorships, and we've seen how that is shortening the Dem bench both for president and also Senate races.
                  In fairness, lots of states have only 1-2 seats, so it's tough to gerrymander any of those. Who cares if the Wyomings of the world are deep red?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    In fairness, lots of states have only 1-2 seats, so it's tough to gerrymander any of those. Who cares if the Wyomings of the world are deep red?
                    A couple of follow up points:

1) I completely agree that Dems need to do a better job on a statewide level in several places. In certain states I don't think there's a structural problem and would expect a bounceback. Remember how Tim Pawlenty was supposed to turn Minny red after his two terms? So, states like WI, MI, NV I'd expect to bounce back. I share the concern about a place like Florida where the state party seems atrocious and has been for years, no small wonder given that it yielded the world Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

2) Having said that, my proposal (well, I didn't come up with it) eliminates the wait for a 10 year state legislature reclamation project to bear fruit. Already states like CA, AZ, IA have independent commissions. The easiest way to get more is a ballot initiative. Lets get that done, pronto.

3) Lastly to uno's point, we're not talking that many states. One, two and even 3 district states really don't lend themselves to too much mischief. ME, NH, VT, RI, DE, ND, SD, KS, NE, MT, WY, ID, HI, NM, AK, WVA = 16 states where this is irrelevant. Of the remaining states AZ, CA, IA, NJ and WA have an independent process to some extent. In addition Florida has a law that incumbent protection can't factor into drawing the lines. So, lets pick and choose our battles (and in fairness Goopers should be pushing for this in Illinois). Really you're after 5 states (PA, WI, MI, OH, VA) to start with.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      True
                      Cornell University

Comment

1) ...Remember how Tim Pawlenty was supposed to turn Minny red after his two terms?
                        It wasn't just T-Paw that was influencing that idea within Minnesota. At that point, we'd had two terms of Arnie Carlson (R), then Jesse "The Governor" Ventura (I), and then Tim Pawlenty for two terms. By the end of Pawlenty's second term, it had been twenty years since our last DFL governor - Rudy Perpich.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

1) I completely agree that Dems need to do a better job on a statewide level in several places. In certain states I don't think there's a structural problem and would expect a bounceback. Remember how Tim Pawlenty was supposed to turn Minny red after his two terms? So, states like WI, MI, NV I'd expect to bounce back. I share the concern about a place like Florida where the state party seems atrocious and has been for years, no small wonder given that it yielded the world Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

2) Having said that, my proposal (well, I didn't come up with it) eliminates the wait for a 10 year state legislature reclamation project to bear fruit. Already states like CA, AZ, IA have independent commissions. The easiest way to get more is a ballot initiative. Lets get that done, pronto.

3) Lastly to uno's point, we're not talking that many states. One, two and even 3 district states really don't lend themselves to too much mischief. ME, NH, VT, RI, DE, ND, SD, KS, NE, MT, WY, ID, HI, NM, AK, WVA = 16 states where this is irrelevant. Of the remaining states AZ, CA, IA, NJ and WA have an independent process to some extent. In addition Florida has a law that incumbent protection can't factor into drawing the lines. So, lets pick and choose our battles (and in fairness Goopers should be pushing for this in Illinois). Really you're after 5 states (PA, WI, MI, OH, VA) to start with.
                          All good points.

Speaking of dirty tricks, whatever happened to that GOP scam where they were trying to get Dem stronghold states to go to proportional representation of EV while keeping their red states as winner-take-all?
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            It wasn't just T-Paw that was influencing that idea within Minnesota. At that point, we'd had two terms of Arnie Carlson (R), then Jesse "The Governor" Ventura (I), and then Tim Pawlenty for two terms. By the end of Pawlenty's second term, it had been twenty years since our last DFL governor - Rudy Perpich.
                            Yeah, but tell the rest of the story. How the GOP had gotten elected and controlled both houses and they used their entire political capital on trying to get an amendment to the Constitution banning gay marriage. It failed. If I remember right there was one other social issue that year as well and it also failed.

Then they lost their majorities.

Same thing the clowns are pulling in Washington.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Yeah, but tell the rest of the story. How the GOP had gotten elected and controlled both houses and they used their entire political capital on trying to get an amendment to the Constitution banning gay marriage. It failed. If I remember right there was one other social issue that year as well and it also failed.

Then they lost their majorities.

Same thing the clowns are pulling in Washington.
                              The state house and senate Republicans pushed their agendas after Pawlenty's second term ended, early into Dayton's first term in office. The two items were banning same-sex marriage and creating a voter ID law. Both items failed, the SSM issue went down hard while the voter ID issue was pretty close, IIRC. Still, that caused the Republicans to lose their opposition power and, I believe, secured Dayton his second term in office.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                The state house and senate Republicans pushed their agendas after Pawlenty's second term ended, early into Dayton's first term in office. The two items were banning same-sex marriage and creating a voter ID law. Both items failed, the SSM issue went down hard while the voter ID issue was pretty close, IIRC. Still, that caused the Republicans to lose their opposition power and, I believe, secured Dayton his second term in office.
                                So, to continue the discussion. When Republicans gain power they never really work on the fiscal issues at all. They work on what gets them elected. Which is the 20% minority that pushes social agenda issues like Voter ID and Gay Marriage.

And this doesn't just happen in Minnesota. Voter ID issues are on ballots all over the country. And the amount of Abortion legislation that's worked on and passed by GOP Houses across the country is staggering.

This is why they have lost the popular vote 5 out of the last 6 Presidential elections. If it wasn't for Gerry Mandering they may not have any power at all.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X