Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 114th Congress: How Low Can They Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Jack, Malcolm, Martin, Bobby, ... Liz?

Wonder if the owl still has his claws?
    I've thought for a while that if Liz starts winning public opinion, she'll be politically neutralized. As history tells us, the safest way is to put somebody in an important sounding job that has little impact - hence the Vice Presidency.

At least she'll never win the Throttlebottom Award.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: The 114th Congress: How Low Can They Go?

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      I've thought for a while that if Liz starts winning public opinion, she'll be politically neutralized. As history tells us, the safest way is to put somebody in an important sounding job that has little impact - hence the Vice Presidency.

At least she'll never win the Throttlebottom Award.
      I never understood why people think the VP side of a ticket is worth a lick. There's only been a handful of times in our history (five times?) where the VP has been a factor in our nation's leadership with the president kicking the bucket while still in office (and Nixon's bit). The idea of balancing a ticket is just absurd to me. Guy at the top of the ticket is a raging lunatic, but you really like the VP candidate, what good will that really do you?
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Has a bill where the VP broke a tie ever gotten vetoed?
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          That is a great question. The only time it would make sense was in the first few administrations when the Veep was the guy who finished second in EV and could be a political opponent of the president.

Edit: tie breaker votes have only been cast 225 times. Adams did so 29 times as Washington's vice president; Washington may have vetoed one of them, though had only 2 during his entire 8 years. There have been about 2500 vetoes.
          Last edited by Kepler; 05-18-2015, 07:37 PM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Always knew the blood suckers were big around here!

http://wtop.com/dc/2015/05/d-c-ranks...uitoes-in-u-s/
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              That is a great question. The only time it would make sense was in the first few administrations when the Veep was the guy who finished second in EV and could be a political opponent of the president.

Edit: tie breaker votes have only been cast 225 times. Adams did so 29 times as Washington's vice president; Washington may have vetoed one of them, though had only 2 during his entire 8 years. There have been about 2500 vetoes.
              Thanks. But 225 times? I never realized it was that rare. A veto is ten times more common.

I figured it was from the infancy of the country as well. Either that or when we lost a president in office.

Can you imagine today if we had a VP tiebreaker get vetoed? Man, that would make for brilliant television. It would be something out of House of Cards.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                I never understood why people think the VP side of a ticket is worth a lick. There's only been a handful of times in our history (five times?) where the VP has been a factor in our nation's leadership with the president kicking the bucket while still in office (and Nixon's bit). The idea of balancing a ticket is just absurd to me. Guy at the top of the ticket is a raging lunatic, but you really like the VP candidate, what good will that really do you?

I think its rare for a VP candidate to swing a state. However a good VP pick can help give a ticket a little bit of a better perception. You can also get some good press in the middle of the campaign which is always nice.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Probably was more likely prior to the 12th Amendment, when the person with the 2nd most electoral votes was VP and there were no "running mates". BTW, it is still technically possible, based upon that amendment, that you could have a President from one party and a VP from another, especially if there's a deadlock (House chooses President, Senate chooses VP in a tiebreak).

Comment

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/02/us...773522000&_r=0

In all sorts of awesomeness Rand Paul made Itch McConnell (aka Turtle Boy) look like an idiot yesterday. And they're from the same state.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/02/us...773522000&_r=0

In all sorts of awesomeness Rand Paul made Itch McConnell (aka Turtle Boy) look like an idiot yesterday. And they're from the same state.

I have to give credit where credit is due. Even if he's purely doing this to bolster his campaign, it was a ballsy move to own the expiration of the Patriot Act. The guy is still nuts, but he's now made it safe to question the Patriot Act without having your patriotism questioned unless a move is underway to start doing that now...

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        I have to give credit where credit is due. Even if he's purely doing this to bolster his campaign, it was a ballsy move to own the expiration of the Patriot Act. The guy is still nuts, but he's now made it safe to question the Patriot Act without having your patriotism questioned unless a move is underway to start doing that now...
                        You do know that there will be another attack within the next few months (false flag of course), and Rand Paul will be blamed for it based on his desire to expire the PATRIOT Act.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          You do know that there will be another attack within the next few months (false flag of course), and Rand Paul will be blamed for it based on his desire to expire the PATRIOT Act.
                          I can never keep track of who's running the conspiracy. If its Obama, why would he want an attack on US soil?

Comment

I can never keep track of who's running the conspiracy. If its Obama, why would he want an attack on US soil?
                            Lindsey and McCain are. They're the Hawks. Itch and Boner are in on it.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I'd try to explain it to you, but you're so gaga brainwashed over him that any efforts would be futile.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                Lindsey and McCain are. They're the Hawks. Itch and Boner are in on it.
                                Actually, it's Yellen and the Federal Reserve, as well as the "assistants" of folks that seem to always get either elected or appointed to office, such as Hillary. Don't forget the Rothschilds, who funded both World Wars.

Comment

Working...
                                X