Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 114th Congress: How Low Can They Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 114th Congress: How Low Can They Go?

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    You post this kind of stuff and I ask myself, is this Kepler guy the reasonable guy he comes across as sometimes, or does he really believe the rabidly partisan stuff he posts sometimes. Puzzling.
    You're objecting to somebody being both reasonable and observant at the same time?

The right wasn't always the dire threat it is today, and an intelligent right is in principle as essential to a free society as an intelligent left. The problem has been what the right has let itself become: plutocratic, belligerent, and proudly ignorant. Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      You're objecting to somebody being both reasonable and observant at the same time?

The right wasn't always the dire threat it is today, and an intelligent right is in principle as essential to a free society as an intelligent left. The problem has been what the right has let itself become: plutocratic, belligerent, and proudly ignorant. Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
      And we saw it with the challenge for Boner becoming speaker, and he immediately threw people off committees that didn't bow to him. Both sides have become equally fascist. The left is the exact same way.

Comment

Insert "left" where you say "right" and that's roughly how the other side sees your side. Making the other side out to be so totally horrible does no good to anyone, and is generally destructive to a nation. I think the left is way off base on a lot of things, but I think they generally think they're doing the right thing and mean well in their own way. Though I doubt you hard lefties would give any credence to the right in general thinking they're doing the right thing.
        Originally posted by Priceless
        Good to see you're so reasonable.
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
        Very well, said.
        Originally posted by Rover
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Yesterday we learned that the Tories' junk science includes stomachs that are magically connected to the vagina. Today we learn that cancer is a fungus.
          http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...d=sm_fb_maddow

"This new learning amazes me Sir Bedevere. Tell me again how we know the earth to be banana-shaped."

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            And we saw it with the challenge for Boner becoming speaker, and he immediately threw people off committees that didn't bow to him. Both sides have become equally fascist. The left is the exact same way.
            I actually think that's a different thing. One of the ways a party keeps its caucus together is by controlling committees. Intra-party politics is a hierarchy. That in itself isn't a sign of the undemocratic elements creeping into our government.

tl;dr: I don't blame Boehner for doing that. It's his only way of maintaining discipline. It's very different from playing games with amendments and roll call votes (which both parties also do, but they shouldn't).
            Last edited by Kepler; 02-25-2015, 11:00 AM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
              Insert "left" where you say "right" and that's roughly how the other side sees your side. Making the other side out to be so totally horrible does no good to anyone, and is generally destructive to a nation. I think the left is way off base on a lot of things, but I think they generally think they're doing the right thing and mean well in their own way. Though I doubt you hard lefties would give any credence to the right in general thinking they're doing the right thing.
              There are sincere people on all sides; even sincere radicals. Coburn is the classic example of a guy who is so far right he could be in Nazi Germany, but who I respect because he's honest and forthright about his principles. (Wellstone was the classic example of a left equivalent. Franken may be one too, I don't know his record well enough.)

The problem is a particular strain of radicalism that has grown up on the right and whose motto is "I have the One Truth and I'll smash anybody who disagrees with me by one inch in the face." There's nobody on the left like that, and pretending there is is just false equivalency. The bomb throwers are all on the right side of the aisle.
              Cornell University

Comment

The problem is a particular strain of radicalism that has grown up on the right and whose motto is "I have the One Truth and I'll smash anybody who disagrees with me by one inch in the face." There's nobody on the left like that, and pretending there is is just false equivalency. The bomb throwers are all on the right side of the aisle.
                Do you know how many high-ranking military officers have been "retired" by this administration because they dared disagree with Obama?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  Yesterday we learned that the Tories' junk science includes stomachs that are magically connected to the vagina. Today we learn that cancer is a fungus.
                  http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...d=sm_fb_maddow

"This new learning amazes me Sir Bedevere. Tell me again how we know the earth to be banana-shaped."
                  And vaccines are bad. Don't forget. Science is like History, it all depends on the slant of the writer.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    And vaccines are bad. Don't forget. Science is like History, it all depends on the slant of the writer.
                    I bet the jester has never heard of Trofim Lysenko.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      I bet the jester has never heard of Trofim Lysenko.
                      I'll take "stunning lack of self-awareness" for $500, Alex.

Comment

Write the two new constitutions and then have each state vote which of the three to join: the Old US, the New Union, or the New Confederacy.
                        I vote for Option 4: I move back to the UP, it secedes from Michigan to form the long pined-for State of Superior, then votes to join Canada as the 11th Province.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          I vote for Option 4: I move back to the UP, it secedes from Michigan to form the long pined-for State of Superior, then votes to join Canada as the 11th Province.
                          And I move to Puerto Rico. All the benefits of the US and none of the BS.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Just wear a bombproof vest if you go near the beach

Comment

In today's Junk Science lesson we learn that the "snow blizzard" is just one kind of blizzard. And the existence of snow blizzards on the east coast disproves climate change. no, Dairy Queen blizzards don't count

Here is a map I shared in the winter thread about global temperatures in January.
                              http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/servic...ntp/201501.gif
                              I love that huge red blob over China.

Comment

So when are you moving?

Comment

Working...
                                X