Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 114th Congress: How Low Can They Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 114th Congress: How Low Can They Go?

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Rail is a bad option all the way around for shipping oil. It's only used when other options aren't available.
    I agree with most of your post. I also agree that rail is a bad option. However, I would still argue that if it were profitable, it would still be utilized. I think we can assume that it is profitable (they are doing it now). Although I am no expert on the tar sands, from what I have heard, they are vast enough to produce an amount of product that the XL and the original pipeline have no chance in handling all of it.
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
      I agree with most of your post. I also agree that rail is a bad option. However, I would still argue that if it were profitable, it would still be utilized. I think we can assume that it is profitable (they are doing it now). Although I am no expert on the tar sands, from what I have heard, they are vast enough to produce an amount of product that the XL and the original pipeline have no chance in handling all of it.
      Its still going to go by rail, it goes from ND to New Brunswick to Irvings refinery. That refinery is set up for North Shore Crude and I guess the Shale oil is similar
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Still no answer to number of spills that occurred the first year and after.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          Still no answer to number of spills that occurred the first year and after.
          Is your Google broken?

Comment

FactCheck.org
            Pipelines can be hazardous. An average of 97,376 barrels (4.1 million gallons) of petroleum and other “hazardous liquids” have been spilled each year in pipeline incidents over the last decade, according to the Department of Transportation’s Pipeline & Hazardous Materials Safety Administration. These incidents have claimed an average of two lives per year, and resulted in more than $263 million in annual reported property damage as well.

Those figures include the most expensive onshore oil pipeline spill in U.S. history, caused when 30-inch pipe operated by Enbridge ruptured on July 26, 2010, near Marshall, Mich. That dumped more than 1 million gallons of Canadian diluted bitumen — the same material that would be carried in the proposed 36-inch Keystone pipeline — into the Kalamazoo River. Enbridge is still struggling to complete the cleanup, having failed to meet a Dec. 31 Environmental Protection Agency deadline for dredging remaining oil residue that settled on the bottom of the river. Although Enbridge initially put the spill at about 840,000 gallons, the EPA said last year that 1.15 million gallons had been recovered and 350,000 cubic yards of contaminated river sediment remained to be recovered. Enbridge said in August 2013 that it had spent more than $1 billion on the cleanup and remediation to date, and the figure continues to rise.

A spill from the Keystone could potentially have similar effects. The Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality, in its final evaluation report on the project, found that the properties of the diluted forms of bitumen that would flow through the state in the Keystone pipeline “are similar in many respects to other heavy sour crude oils.” For what it’s worth, TransCanada says it plans to make the Keystone “the safest pipeline ever constructed in the U.S.,” adding more remote shut-off valves and inspections and burying the pipe more deeply than with other pipelines.
            Fox News

Current Keystone Pipeline Leaked 12 Times in Last Year

The pipeline that the Obama administration has rejected the permit for would be an extension of a pipeline that has already leaked -- not just once, but 12 times in the last year.

While TransCanada tried to dismiss these leaks as “minor” averaging “just five to 10 gallons of oil” each, the leak on May 7, 2011 near Millner, N.D., spilled about 21,000 gallons of oil in total.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Is your Google broken?
              I was challenging the assertion they're harmless #####.

Comment

Most of those leaks were 20 gallons or less. Nice scare tactic.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...3efb0d8d1.html
                Originally posted by Priceless
                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                Very well, said.
                Originally posted by Rover
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                  Most of those leaks were 20 gallons or less. Nice scare tactic.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...3efb0d8d1.html
                  Fox News using scare tactics? What are the odds?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    Fox News using scare tactics? What are the odds?
                    Priceless defending Fox News? What are the odds?
                    Originally posted by Priceless
                    Good to see you're so reasonable.
                    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                    Very well, said.
                    Originally posted by Rover
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

For those keeping score at home
                      Liz 1
                      Obama/Hillary 0

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nati...ZJN/story.html
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        For those keeping score at home
                        Liz 1
                        Obama/Hillary 0

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nati...ZJN/story.html
                        I'm keeping score. This is very good.

Also: Mannequins are more lively than that dude.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          I'm keeping score. This is very good.

Also: Mannequins are more lively than that dude.
                          Liz on the 2016 VP ticket is looking better and better!
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Warren is far too important to be president. She needs to stay in a position where she can actually do something.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Warren is far too important to be president. She needs to stay in a position where she can actually do something.
                              A Hillary presidency with a Warren SML and a Dem House I could get behind, particularly for court nominees. It's not that the Clintons are anti-liberal, they're simply pro-Clinton. If the winds are blowing left, they'll sail left.
                              Cornell University
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

This all seems completely reasonable.

"Hoyt told the officer he was Jesus Christ and that he was going to kill Boehner because Boehner was mean to him at the country club and because Boehner is responsible for Ebola," court documents say.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X