Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 114th Congress: How Low Can They Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 114th Congress: How Low Can They Go?

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    He needed to retire after the '08 election, so I won't be shedding any tears for the guy if he's forced out.

Comment

Awesome. Love it.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• So, Congress thinks Zika is nothing to worry about. Good to know.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

They Also Dont Think Discrimination Matters Much

The GOP just loves to make themselves look like bigots...so afraid to lose that Jesus Money!
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            They Also Dont Think Discrimination Matters Much

The GOP just loves to make themselves look like bigots...so afraid to lose that Jesus Money!
            The GOP would have defended the "religious liberty" to burn witches at Salem.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I despise the symbolism behind this, but I despise the ban on it even more:
              http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Upd...meteries-video

ETA: To clarify, I don't think the government should be placing the flags in cemeteries, but if someone wants to do it themselves, we're crossing into dangerous freedom of speech issues here.
              Last edited by dxmnkd316; 05-20-2016, 08:40 AM.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                I despise the symbolism behind this, but I despise the ban on it even more:
                http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Upd...meteries-video

ETA: To clarify, I don't think the government should be placing the flags in cemeteries, but if someone wants to do it themselves, we're crossing into dangerous freedom of speech issues here.
                I think the ban is wrong unless we actually go the whole way and ban the flag like the Germans banned the swastika (and I don't think we should do that, unless we ban the old union flags as they were also associated with slaveholding).

I can see not having the states have the symbol in their modern flags. But if it's a confederate soldier's grave, and the flag is not illegal, then this regulation seems unconstitutional to me, or at least A Bad Idea.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I think the ban is wrong unless we actually go the whole way and ban the flag like the Germans banned the swastika (and I don't think we should do that, unless we ban the old union flags as they were also associated with slaveholding).

I can see not having the states have the symbol in their modern flags. But if it's a confederate soldier's grave, and the flag is not illegal, then this regulation seems unconstitutional to me, or at least A Bad Idea.
                  I don't think the government should be in the business of banning any form of speech. It just makes my skin crawl.

That last paragraph is exactly the scenario I was picturing.
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Further information:
                    http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...nal-cemeteries

Oddly enough, my Rep Betty McCollum voted "present."
                    Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      I don't think the government should be in the business of banning any form of speech. It just makes my skin crawl.

That last paragraph is exactly the scenario I was picturing.
                      To the extent the government both owns the cemeteries and cemeteries not being traditional places of public expression (like say, a state capitol), it has the right to express its own speech or limit the expression of contrary speech.

This was the issue in the license plate case that came up a year or two ago before SCOTUS. The Court found that license plates were the government's speech, not the driver's, and the state could limit, our allow, pretty much whatever it deemed appropriate.
                      Last edited by unofan; 05-20-2016, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        To the extent the government both owns the cemeteries and cemeteries not being traditional places of public expression (like say, a state capitol), it has the right to express its own speech or limit the expression of contrary speech.

This was the issue in the license plate case that came up a year or two ago before SCOTUS. The Court found that license plates were the government's speech, not the driver's, and the state could limit, our allow, pretty much whatever it deemed appropriate.

In Maine they recently decided long time restrictions on vanity license plates were limiting people's free speech rights, so now lots of things that were previously banned from license plates are now allowed.

Comment

Working...
                        X