Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 114th Congress: How Low Can They Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 114th Congress: How Low Can They Go?

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    I don't think this country has last seen a division like this since slavery.
    Slavery's a bad example because that was all or nothing, and the "nothing" option on abortion only polls at 19%.

This seems to follow the typical social splits on issues of sexuality. It's a significant split, but it's not going to start any civil wars.

I think the only thing that could come to the level of slavery would be repeal of the second amendment or removal of the tax exempt status for churches, neither of which will happen in the next fifty years.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-05-2015, 08:11 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I can understand dark humor - when I worked, I used it a lot of times to defuse tense situations. But I wonder what a morgue is like? However, this was an innocent human being just a few minutes/hours ago that just had its life terminated without ever having a chance at taking a full breath or nursing at its mother's breast.

I think the pro aborts are making excuses to excuse a horrific practice. But, that's my take - they will have an opposite view. The two views are not reconcilable and I doubt they ever will be.

I don't think this country has last seen a division like this since slavery.
      I still have yet to meet a "pro-abortionist"...I'm starting to think they don't exist at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
        I still have yet to meet a "pro-abortionist"...I'm starting to think they don't exist at all.
        What's even more maddening is that they'll fight tooth and nail insisting every pregnancy is brought to term only to tell the newborn, "you're on your own now good luck".

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Slavery's a bad example because that was all or nothing, and the "nothing" option on abortion only polls at 19%.

This seems to follow the typical social splits on issues of sexuality. It's a significant split, but it's not going to start any civil wars.

I think the only thing that could come to the level of slavery would be repeal of the second amendment or removal of the tax exempt status for churches, neither of which will happen in the next fifty years.
          Kep

Not sure about that one. A lot of people were against the expansion of slavery to the new territories / states (Bleeding Kansas & the various compromises), but were tolerant of it where it was. Those firebrand abolitionists in the Northeast are probably analogous to the current 19%. Heck, even Lincoln was not a firebrand abolitionist when he was running for the Senate.

It took a while, but the Civil War/War for Southern Independence changed the views for most of the nation.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

But I wonder what a morgue is like?
            From the few days I have spent in the medical examiners office...they are pretty weird. I sincerely advise to not get an autopsy on a loved one unless you have a pretty good reason.

However, this was an innocent human being just a few minutes/hours ago that just had its life terminated without ever having a chance at taking a full breath or nursing at its mother's breast.
            The same could be said about a significant number of normal periods. I just question the utility of using graphic visuals.

I think the pro aborts are making excuses to excuse a horrific practice. But, that's my take - they will have an opposite view. The two views are not reconcilable and I doubt they ever will be.
            I think many are far detached from who the providers actually are. I have met >75% of the doctors that provide in Wisconsin and I can say they all want to see zero abortions. They are among the most compassionate physicians I have met. They have seen their colleagues terrorized, attacked, murdered, etc for providing a legal medical procedure. But they are also the ones taking the effort to improve women's health to reduce the number of abortions. I can say I do not see this kind of evidence based effort from the "opposition."

Anyone can describe a late term abortion and make it sound "horrific." But I could do the same for the mother who is bleeding to death in front of your eyes because she can no longer tolerate her pregnancy. Or one who has ecclampsia and has to be put into a medically induced coma to save her life because status epilepticus is causing hyperthermia and rhabdomyolysis. Only one cure, delivery (regardless of the gestation time).

I would just caution describing a "horrific practice" when you have next to no information on a situation that rightfully takes place in the privacy of a doctor patient relationship.
            In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
            I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Kep

Not sure about that one. A lot of people were against the expansion of slavery to the new territories / states (Bleeding Kansas & the various compromises), but were tolerant of it where it was. Those firebrand abolitionists in the Northeast are probably analogous to the current 19%. Heck, even Lincoln was not a firebrand abolitionist when he was running for the Senate.

It took a while, but the Civil War/War for Southern Independence changed the views for most of the nation.
              Where are you going with this analogy? Do you think there will be events, forces, or movements that will change most people's views to pro-life? Cause I don't see that at all.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                From the few days I have spent in the medical examiners office...they are pretty weird. I sincerely advise to not get an autopsy on a loved one unless you have a pretty good reason.

The same could be said about a significant number of normal periods. I just question the utility of using graphic visuals.

I think many are far detached from who the providers actually are. I have met >75% of the doctors that provide in Wisconsin and I can say they all want to see zero abortions. They are among the most compassionate physicians I have met. They have seen their colleagues terrorized, attacked, murdered, etc for providing a legal medical procedure. But they are also the ones taking the effort to improve women's health to reduce the number of abortions. I can say I do not see this kind of evidence based effort from the "opposition."

Anyone can describe a late term abortion and make it sound "horrific." But I could do the same for the mother who is bleeding to death in front of your eyes because she can no longer tolerate her pregnancy. Or one who has ecclampsia and has to be put into a medically induced coma to save her life because status epilepticus is causing hyperthermia and rhabdomyolysis. Only one cure, delivery (regardless of the gestation time).

I would just caution describing a "horrific practice" when you have next to no information on a situation that rightfully takes place in the privacy of a doctor patient relationship.
                Hate to ask, but could you translate the medical terms to stuff this poor retired accountant could understand? Thanks.

And, like I said earlier, East is East and West is West, and never the two shall meet.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

A lot of people were against the expansion of slavery to the new territories / states (Bleeding Kansas & the various compromises), but were tolerant of it where it was.
                  That's a great point. I stand corrected.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                    Where are you going with this analogy? Do you think there will be events, forces, or movements that will change most people's views to pro-life? Cause I don't see that at all.
                    I don't see an armed insurrection, either. Equally, I don't see a reconciliation.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I don't see an armed insurrection, either. Equally, I don't see a reconciliation.
                      The reconciliation will happen when medicine and pharmacology make abortion OBE. 100% effective male contraception and morning after pills will make abortion class-linked, and once it's only the poors it'll be easy to re-criminalize it.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

The former will happen soon, albeit via the back door. United Nations proposals have been sent to the Senate, the most recent one of which received above 1/2 yes votes (although less than the 2/3 required for ratification), and that may have trumped the second amendment. There's no such thing as sovereign nations any more, in fact associating yourself with the word sovereign will earn you a one-way ticket to the gulag, as military exercises in California have displayed.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                          There certainly have been movements to cause viewpoint changes in at one direction, so it is entirely possible to push it in another direction, especially if we start to come to a point where our species is dying out. It's one of the basic principles of evolution.

Comment

Go to a Koch Brothers event and look what comes out...

I'm sorry people, I can't believe my state elected this guy...
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

AIPAC. It's a hell of a drug.
                              Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Pat agrees with you. It's UFC 2015 between Obama and Bibi.

http://m.townhall.com/columnists/pat...inish-n2035674
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X