Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riots and Racists and Looting...OH MY!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Riots and Racists and Looting...OH MY!!!

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    So they planned it out a few years in advance before getting bored of planning out more of them. Same net effect.
    And "Black and White" was planned in July 2013. This isn't a "topic du jour." In case you haven't noticed, films that have black people as the focus have been around for decades now...

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      And "Black and White" was planned in July 2013. This isn't a "topic du jour." In case you haven't noticed, films that have black people as the focus have been around for decades now...
      You're missing the mark by stating black people as the focus. It's the events within the movies that are the topic du jour. Friday was a movie that focused on black people, but it's hardly a topical movie to be included with the others.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
        Those words are way too hard for me; You must be much smarter at stuff.
        Or else you're a blowhard.
        Unfair. Each word he used was well chosen. It would have been more clear like this:

OTOH, there is strong evidence that reducing persistent wealth inequality is good for the economy.
        But just because he used longer words does not make him a "blowhard." That's perilously close to the "You use good grammar? You think you're better than me?!" tub thump.

Plus, for once he's actually right. Let's give some positive reinforcement here.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

This discussion of Selma is ridiculous. The whole point of the MLK story is IT'S NOT FOCUSED ON BLACK PEOPLE, IT'S FOCUSED ON JUSTICE. King isn't a "black hero," he's an American hero, and his struggle is one of the greatest stories of heroism in American history. Whites were debased by the apartheid system King helped destroy, just as straights today are debased by legally-enforced homophobia. As we all strike down these hateful laws we all recapture our dignity as Americans.

But not the Irish.
          Last edited by Kepler; 01-06-2015, 11:25 AM.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Unfair. Each word he used was well chosen. It would have been more clear like this:

But just because he used longer words does not make him a "blowhard." That's perilously close to the "You use good grammar? You think you're better than me?!" tub thump.

Plus, for once he's actually right. Let's give some positive reinforcement here.
            Not at all. I'm all about well chosen words. But to me part of the beauty of good writing is the clarity that comes with choosing the most direct route. I know we're not writing essays for "Ploughshares" here, but is there ever a good time to use "salutary" informally? What lack hath "good" or "helpful"?
            It's not all about the length of the words. It's a question of why that word was selected. You better be getting your money's worth for all four syllables of an arcane usage that muddles clarity. Or should I say "which encumbers comprehension"?
            Besides, "ameliorating" isn't accurate. I think he wanted "reducing", which means he wasted six syllables and misstated his meaning.
            Last edited by geezer; 01-06-2015, 12:16 PM.
            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Not at all. I'm all about well chosen words. But to me part of the beauty of good writing is the clarity that comes with choosing the most direct route. I know we're not writing essays for "Ploughshares" here, but is there ever a good time to use "salutary" informally? What lack hath "good" or "helpful"?
              It's not all about the length of the words. It's a question of why that word was selected. You better be getting your money's worth for all four syllables of an arcane usage that muddles clarity. Or should I say "which encumbers comprehension"?
              Hey, I agree. Strunk & White was written at Cornell.

However, as you said we're all just typing with fire and forget here, and we all know the great Benjamin Franklin joke. If people are diligent enough to correct their punctuation and make cogent points, let's not be too hard! That was the first post Fish has written in months that wasn't copy-pasted from Breitbart. He deserves a hug, not a slap.
              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                If you look at income mobility statistics, there is quite a bit of movement of actual individual people from one income band to another over time.
                You keep repeating this as though it is gospel truth, ignoring the fact that the trend is towards less movement overall and the odds of someone moving more than a single quintile, especially upwards, are slim to none.

Comment

Or else you're a blowhard.
                  Eschew sesquipedalian obfuscation ... and loquaciousness.
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    You keep repeating this as though it is gospel truth, ignoring the fact that the trend is towards less movement overall and the odds of someone moving more than a single quintile, especially upwards, are slim to none.
                    Especially when compared to other countries.

Comment

Persistent wealth inequality is a totally different matter. There is strong empirical evidence that ameliorating persistent wealth inequality, if done "properly", really does have salutary economic results.
                      Sorry, I was wearing my old academic hat. I'm no smarter at this stuff than you are.

Continuing wealth inequality is a serious problem. We've seen situations in other countries and at other times that, in societies that had extreme wealth inequality, when that wealth inequality was addressed by a thoughtful, planned redistribution of wealth to a broader base of the population, the results have been an economic boom time that benefited most members of the society afterward.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Sorry, I was wearing my old academic hat. I'm no smarter at this stuff than you are.

Continuing wealth inequality is a serious problem. We've seen situations in other countries and at other times that, in societies that had extreme wealth inequality, when that wealth inequality was addressed by a thoughtful, planned redistribution to a broader base of the population, the results have been an economic boom time that benefited most members of the society afterward.
                        While I still have a kneejerk negative reaction to the word "redistribution", I find myself becoming more and more liberal* and want this to happen somehow. Do you remember an example of a country and year where such a thing happened?

*Soon I hope to reach that blissful state where I know exactly what's best for everyone else and the only problem is explaining it to them in simple enough terms to be understood.
                        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

While I still have a kneejerk negative reaction to the word "redistribution", I find myself becoming more and more liberal* and want this to happen somehow. Do you remember an example of a country and year where such a thing happened?
                          I'd need a refresher on all the details.

One example is from a country in Central America, a few oligarchs owned all the land. They implemented a plan by which the oligarchs were allowed to keep a minority portion of their landholding while the rest of the land was divided up into parcels and ownership transferred more broadly to more people. The economy did much better afterward.

Another example is England under Henry VIII. The Catholic Church had owned a lot of wealth before he split with them; after the split, much of that wealth was spread around more generally, though I don't remember about who or how. Many historians view this event as the seminal moment that led England to the Industrial Revolution well before most other countries.

The estate tax in the US also has worked quite well in redistributing wealth, in that many super-wealthy people bequeathed their estates to foundations: Carnegie Foundation, Ford Foundation, Gates Foundation (he actually transferred billions while still alive), etc. etc. etc.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

The estate tax in the US also has worked quite well in redistributing wealth, in that many super-wealthy people bequeathed their estates to foundations: Carnegie Foundation, Ford Foundation, Gates Foundation (he actually transferred billions while still alive), etc. etc. etc.
                            Did these people actually state that they placed their estates into foundations as a matter of avoiding the excise tax or is that your assumption? Someone like Gates, he's doing this as a way to make the world better, which you can see by his personal actions during life. To ascribe those motivations to a tax avoidance scheme is specious reasoning, IMO.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              Did these people actually state that they placed their estates into foundations as a matter of avoiding the excise tax or is that your assumption? Someone like Gates, he's doing this as a way to make the world better, which you can see by his personal actions during life. To ascribe those motivations to a tax avoidance scheme is specious reasoning, IMO.
                              They're not mutually exclusive. He's making the world better because his foundation can spend the money more wisely than the United States can and sooner. Tax avoidance "plan" sounds better than "scheme."

Comment

Was there an estate tax when Andrew Carnegie and Henry Ford (and Rockefeller) started their foundations?
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X