Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riots and Racists and Looting...OH MY!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Riots and Racists and Looting...OH MY!!!

I don't know that I would agree with that cause/effect proposal. In fact, there's nothing in that article that directly shows which is the cause and which is the effect. Did the money create the jerk attitude or does having a jerk attitude make the person more apt to become rich? The article only stated that they observed rich people being selfish. Congrats, we see that all the time in life. We have a self-proclaimed rich person on this very site who likes to brag about his income compared to others on here and takes absolute glee in acting like a jerk. Did becoming rich (assumption) make him that way or was it the other way around?
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      I don't know that I would agree with that cause/effect proposal. In fact, there's nothing in that article that directly shows which is the cause and which is the effect. Did the money create the jerk attitude or does having a jerk attitude make the person more apt to become rich? The article only stated that they observed rich people being selfish. Congrats, we see that all the time in life. We have a self-proclaimed rich person on this very site who likes to brag about his income compared to others on here and takes absolute glee in acting like a jerk. Did becoming rich (assumption) make him that way or was it the other way around?
      I have to think it can happen both ways. Just my opinion, but some people who "make it" seem to develop the attitude that they earned it because they are better and start to resent the less fortunate/driven for being less motivated or whatever. IMO if some of those same people had stayed poor they would have held on to their empathy.
      edit: I'm a little surprised this discussion hasn't gone full-bore partisan yet, but if anyone is tempted to go there, I would assert that there are just as many "liberal elites" as there are "fat cat Republicans". Income inequality reversal, like personal liberties, should be a nonpartisan cause.
      Last edited by geezer; 01-05-2015, 01:07 PM.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
        Income inequality reversal, like personal liberties, should be a nonpartisan cause.
        It should and insofar as conservatives want to see barriers to people lifting themselves out of poverty, it can be. The problem is the super rich become a rentier class with a symbiosis with government: they bribe, er I mean contribute to officials who then use the money to brainwash, er I mean educate, voters. For whatever reason most conservatives turn a blind eye to this obvious corruption of the democratic process.

Real conservatives should want to break down the largest concentrations of wealth because it is by tapping those concentrations that government intrudes into the supposedly free market. Bless their heart, conservatives think capitalism works, so why do they sometimes tacitly, sometimes explicitly support the very forces that are undermining it? The only answer I can see is that they are being cynical: they know those forces are most likely to push government in directions they more or less agree with.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          You seem to have missed the essential element of "the deal": it is a trade-off of one tax for another, there is no tax avoidance. Either you have an estate tax + step up in basis or you have a capital gains tax + carryforward basis and no estate tax.

The step-up in basis plays no role in how the mega-rich transfer money between generations since the estate tax has been 50% - 55% for that entire time period, with a low exemption. Only after the 2008 election did the estate tax exemption get raised and the estate tax rate lowered to 40%.
          No, I understood it completely. I'd rather have an estate tax AND remove the step up.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            For whatever reason most people turn a blind eye to this obvious corruption of the democratic process.
            FYP. I don't think someone can say "the problem is the other party" on this issue, Mr. Soros. For partisans of either stripe, corruption seems to be OK as long as we agree with the ends.
            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

FYP. I don't think someone can say "the problem is the other party" on this issue, Mr. Soros. For partisans of either stripe, corruption seems to be OK as long as we agree with the ends.
              Let's say for a moment that the parties are equally culpable (I don't think that's true because the GOP has a built-in tie to big business through their pro-capital, anti-labor positions, but let's say for a moment it is true.) Even if the Dems have the same disease, it still invites the question: why, and what can be done to stop it?
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Let's say for a moment that the parties are equally culpable (I don't think that's true because the GOP has a built-in tie to big business through their pro-capital, anti-labor positions, but let's say for a moment it is true.) Even if the Dems have the same disease, it still invites the question: why, and what can be done to stop it?
                You're correct that it's a bigger problem on the right. But "Hollywood", "environmentalism" etc are among the powerful corrupt liberal institutions that keep the kickbacks flowing to the Democrats. And Wall Street is feeding both sides of the trough.
                The veneer of altruism for "my side" only holds if you're trying really hard to put faith in it. Think about Albert Gore Junior and his well-traveled private jet. Nobody but a fool would believe he personally cares about environmentalism. Follow the money.
                As to the questions, 1) greed, 2) I was hoping to hear alternatives. I think step one is for the peasants to agree that fixing it would benefit both sides and join forces.

Comment

I think step one is for the peasants to agree that fixing it would benefit both sides and join forces.
                  Well, I'm all about the peasants.

The only way to unite the peasants is to ignore the Culture War. That means everybody puts their gay marriage, abortion, prayer in schools hobbyhorse on the back burner and starts talking about wealth inequality, social mobility, taxation, debt forgiveness, etc. There's a reason the economy stagnated for the majority at the very time the Culture War started -- that was a brilliant feint to divide the forces who could have stopped the plutocrats.

Here's an interesting cross-national comparison over a shorter timeframe. As the wealthy draw more wealth from the middle class, investment rates for things that help narrow income inequality, like education and social programs, drop, thus pushing even more wealth to the upper class, and so on. The trend is further reinforced as economies and government policies retool to where the money is, essentially becoming courtiers to the wealthy. The only way to put a brake on this and turn the tide back is politically, so one would expect to see efforts to curtail the franchise for the poor and lower middle class. And right on schedule come voter suppression laws, particularly in states that are more under the thrall of the top class.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 01-05-2015, 03:50 PM.
                  Cornell University

Comment

And right on schedule come voter suppression laws, particularly in states that are more under the thrall of the top class.
                    I'm coming around in general, but is there any hint anywhere that asking people to show their ID to vote has ever affected an election (I assume this is what you're talking about)? This smells like a class warfare-type red herring.

Comment

Income inequality reversal, like personal liberties, should be a nonpartisan cause.
                      Must respectfully disagree; it is not "income" inequality that is a problem, it is persistent wealth inequality that is by far the more important concern.

People's incomes vary tremendously from year to year, especially the way that it is reported. You are an employee at a start up and take some pay in stock rather than in cash. Your company goes public and you sell some shares. That gives you a big blip in income, for that one year. This is a "problem"? I don't see how.

If you look at income mobility statistics, there is quite a bit of movement of actual individual people from one income band to another over time. If it were exactly the same people in every income band in every year, I might agree that income inequality might be a problem, but the evidence indicates that it is not really that serious. Any time a person cashes out a successful investment, it is reported as "income" all in that one year, which distorts the picture tremendously. It is hard even to get reliable data because the definition of "income" has changed several times over the past 30 years.

Persistent wealth inequality is a totally different matter. There is strong empirical evidence that ameliorating persistent wealth inequality, if done "properly", really does have salutary economic results.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I have no where else to put this since I didn't want to have any political debates in the movies thread:

But has anyone noticed the huge influx of movies like Selma, Black or White, etc. recently? Is it because February is fast approaching or just the topic du jour?
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          Persistent wealth inequality is a totally different matter. There is strong empirical evidence that ameliorating persistent wealth inequality, if done "properly", really does have salutary economic results.
                          Those words are way too hard for me; You must be much smarter at stuff.
                          Or else you're a blowhard.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            I have no where else to put this since I didn't want to have any political debates in the movies thread:

But has anyone noticed the huge influx of movies like Selma, Black or White, etc. recently? Is it because February is fast approaching or just the topic du jour?
                            It's the topic du jour, just like gay people movies were really popular (or at least being made) a couple years ago. I found that it generally works in a sort of three-year ramp up process with these topical/agenda movies, where you'll see one or two movies in a given year, then there'll be a bunch more the next year, and then they tail off the next year. By the fourth year Hollywood is on to a completely new topic.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              It's the topic du jour, just like gay people movies were really popular (or at least being made) a couple years ago. I found that it generally works in a sort of three-year ramp up process with these topical/agenda movies, where you'll see one or two movies in a given year, then there'll be a bunch more the next year, and then they tail off the next year. By the fourth year Hollywood is on to a completely new topic.
                              Um...these release dates are calculated months, even years, in advance. "Selma" has been planned since December 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                                Um...these release dates are calculated months, even years, in advance. "Selma" has been planned since December 2009.
                                So they planned it out a few years in advance before getting bored of planning out more of them. Same net effect.

Comment

Working...
                                X