Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riots and Racists and Looting...OH MY!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Can you point out where I said that? I sure didn't mean to, and I'm pretty sure I didn't.
    Was referring to this: The fact is you need hard work and luck. But if somebody points that out, people react defensively and say, "whaddya mean luck, I worked hard!"*

Comment

• Re: Riots and Racists and Looting...OH MY!!!

I'd guess most have some sort of mental problem. A small portion just had some bad luck, and an even smaller portion actually choose that life. There was one guy around the area where I grew up (Crystal MN) who was known as The Crystal Bum. Everyone knew who he was, and he apparently had a substantial amount of money (relatively; he could have had a place to live and such) but chose the life because he didn't want to have any responsibility. He was around for quite a few years.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I'll allow it.
        I read up on the massive homeless problem in Honolulu a few years ago, travelling back and forth you notice homelessness is a very big problem in that city. The state has found that it takes some pretty big incentives to get very many to come inside and work for a living, even after they pushed them out of Waikiki into the tarp cities by the airport. Much of the blame fell on drugs and mental illness, often working in tandem.
        Sure, it wouldn't take a fully furnished apartment and three squares a day for most of the homeless to come inside in Flint MI. But for some of them, that still wouldn't do it. The agencies always tie it to drug testing and counseling, which some people will avoid at the literal cost of their life.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          Was referring to this: The fact is you need hard work and luck. But if somebody points that out, people react defensively and say, "whaddya mean luck, I worked hard!"*
          I don't think that's condescending at all (also, I was not trying to call you out -- I think you know my callouts are pretty explicit). Plus I do think that people who work hard and dig themselves out of a hole react defensively when it's pointed out that working hard, while necessary, is not sufficient. And I don't understand this, because pointing that out doesn't tarnish the value of their hard work at all.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Fair enough, but since I was the only one of recent note saying as much...

And I recognize it's not always that simple and that hard working people still fail. But I'm more inclined to believe that outright failure (living below the poverty level with no prospects for recovery in sight) is far less about opportunity than effort on the whole.

That's not saying we can't or shouldn't do more to help, starting with companies where salary disparities are obscene.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              Fair enough, but since I was the only one of recent note saying as much...
              Yeah, I can see that, and I apologize for giving that impression.

We'll just have to disagree about the degree to which irreparable poverty is about effort.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I think the discussion should start there and I'm not unwilling to consider being wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Yep. No debt here, 5 weeks vacation every year (IIRC, I'll get bumped up to 6 weeks in 2016, since I'll have been with my company for 15 years). Good benefits, and heckuva retirement plan.

There is also the stereotype that blue collar workers are generally more loyal to their company, and change jobs less often, but that could be a dated concept, even for them.

My biggest complaint about my (white collar) job is that I only get 3 weeks of vacation a year (going to get a 4th week next year for my 10th year of service - I really think a 4th week should be awarded at 5 years and a 5th week at 10). The good thing is it is a laid back atmosphere. If it's really nice out and we're reasonably caught up on projects, we might just head out of the office and go for a hike (a National Park is literally our neighbor - I can leave my desk and be at a hiking trail in 10 minutes). Or if I need to pick my 6 yr old son up at school its not a big deal. Good health insurance, a wellness program with onsite fitness classes & 24 hour gym, tuition reimbursement, 5% base + 5% match employer retirement contribution (so they contribute 10%). The work-hours flexibility is a big perk, and not all jobs at the company lend themselves to that kind of arrangement.

But we're also a strange company. Lots of PhDs and other white collar workers, but also large numbers of blue collar workers. We're a genetics research lab but we also have a business component selling research services (contract experiments/tests) and mouse models. Producing and selling millions of mice per year (many with specific mutations that cause disease) requires a lot of hands. We have animal care workers, forklift drivers, plumbers, electricians, hvac/facilities engineers, cleaning/sterilization workers, accountants, customer service reps, sales reps, software engineers, systems administrators, research assistants, statisticians, veterinarians, histologists, biomedical engineers, research scientists, principal investigators, etc. HUGE diversity in education and backgrounds (the blue collar workers tend to be locals from "Downeast", white collar workers come from all over the world).

Comment

Bass:

My company has always been very good to its workers. Do I have some complaints? Sure, who doesn't? However, if a person loves what s/he does, and is treated well, consider it a blessing.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The interviews in this radio story this morning were illuminating. One small example of how much it sucks to be in poverty and how difficult it can be to escape.
                      "This basically ruined my life," she says. "I mean, I was to the point that I'm building my business. I'm growing. And now I'm back to depending on public assistance."
                      I just realized this is part 2.
                      Last edited by geezer; 01-05-2015, 08:15 AM.
                      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                        The interviews in this radio story this morning were illuminating. One small example of how much it sucks to be in poverty and how difficult it can be to escape.

I just realized this is part 2.
                        This is an interesting problem. I have some tangential experience with exactly this.

My wife's oldest brother has a kid who's 21-22. Generally good kid. But his family is a pretty blue collar family, and the kid will be blue collar all his life. Graduate from high school, manual labor/truck driver type jobs are his destiny.

Got a car at 19. Racked up a few speeding tickets, etc... Didn't bother to pay the fines. This is in Illinois, where eventually his license was suspended. But he keeps driving. Reason? He has to get to his job.

I admit, he's got a problem. Doesn't have a license and needs to get to his job. Not sure if he has public transportation or car pool opportunities, but if he does he doesn't appear to take advantage of them.

What I do know is that driving with a suspended license for 9 months, hoping he doesn't get caught, is not a good solution, and one likely to work.

On the other hand, what is the solution? People violate traffic offenses, rich and poor. (Of course, in these stories it's always "just a broken taillight.") Do the poor get to skip paying because they are poor? Doesn't seem like a good plan. People will say that we should hold them accountable, but not by taking away the one thing they need to get to work. Ok, so how do we hold them accountable?

I know in Minnesota there is a system called "revenue recapture" where money owed to public agencies can be recovered by a process where they submit the proper documentation, then the department of revenue withholds that amount from any tax refund.

That's probably the best system available, although it can probably only be used to collect relatively small amounts at best.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Seattle had a wonderful homeless problem...some were of course mentally ill but many of them were just white bourgious liberals who wanted to slum it to show they had it rough too! They would walk up and down The Ave. (the main drag at UW) smoking copious amounts of weed, playing drums and never working/showering. They had kids and dogs and would harass you for cigarettes while scoping free drinks/internet from the local coffee house and sleeping in an alley. They gamed the system as best they could...

Put it this way, my girlfriend's heart bleeds and even she could not stand it there and sounded like a Faux News Pundit after a couple of days.

Me, I just had to go back to bartending part time because my 9-5 is not enough to save anything. I made more in 6 hours yesterday than I will by noon Wednesday at the day job...it sucks not having a weekend but I dont want to struggle for ever. I am lucky no doubt.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I'll recommend another read on why growing income inequality is bad: "What Wealth Does to Your Soul." It's not new information, but compellingly presented.
                            "As you move up the class ladder," says Keltner, "you are more likely to violate the rules of the road, to lie, to cheat, to take candy from kids, to shoplift, and to be tightfisted in giving to others. Straightforward economic analyses have trouble making sense of this pattern of results."

THERE IS AN OBVIOUS chicken-and-egg question to ask here. But it is beginning to seem that the problem isn't that the kind of people who wind up on the pleasant side of inequality suffer from some moral disability that gives them a market edge. The problem is caused by the inequality itself: It triggers a chemical reaction in the privileged few. It tilts their brains. It causes them to be less likely to care about anyone but themselves or to experience the moral sentiments needed to be a decent citizen.

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              I'll recommend another read on why growing income inequality is bad: "What Wealth Does to Your Soul." It's not new information, but compellingly presented.
                              Then ethics and/or morality was not taught to said individuals in their formative years.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                The step up in basis is how the mega rich have hoarded their money from generation to generation. Time for that to change.

I guess I'd be OK with a primary residence being exempted and allowed to step up in cost basis. But stocks? No. And just because you can't find that information doesn't exempt you from the law. Up until recently you were required to keep track of your costs bases.
                                You seem to have missed the essential element of "the deal": it is a trade-off of one tax for another, there is no tax avoidance. Either you have an estate tax + step up in basis or you have a capital gains tax + carryforward basis and no estate tax.

The step-up in basis plays no role in how the mega-rich transfer money between generations since the estate tax has been 50% - 55% for that entire time period, with a low exemption. Only after the 2008 election did the estate tax exemption get raised and the estate tax rate lowered to 40%.
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X