Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riots and Racists and Looting...OH MY!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Riots and Racists and Looting...OH MY!!!

Originally posted by omahasioux1 View Post
    What if people actually stopped celebrating thugs, blocking streets, looting, killing cops, robbing and the list goes on.
    What if you actually answered the question? I wont hold my breathe...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      I am 100% okay with a double standard for cops at grand juries. If we didn't have a different standard for cops, every cop who ever arrests (or even detains) somebody would be guilty of assault, kidnapping, unlawful imprisonment, etc. We *expect* cops to act differently than other citizens - we *pay* them to act differently. How in the world, then, would it make sense to hold them accountable to the same standard? That makes no sense to me at all.
      I agree with this 100%.

Their job may require them to kill someone. We pay them to do that dirty job for us. You roll around in the mud with pigs (no pun intended), you're going to get a little dirty. But that's what we ask cops to do.

I feel the same way about the military. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. Not to say I won't keep an eye on them, but I am not going to apply civilian rules to them either.

I always think of Jack's "you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall" speech in A Few Good Men. Of course, in the Hollywood ending we all want, Jack is led away to serve his time because, of course, we as a society are just too good for that type of conduct. Which is all b.s. As a country, we do want them on that wall and need them on that wall, and we are going to look away because it is a dirty, d@mn job.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        I always think of Jack's "you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall" speech in A Few Good Men. Of course, in the Hollywood ending we all want, Jack is led away to serve his time because, of course, we as a society are just too good for that type of conduct. Which is all b.s. As a country, we do want them on that wall and need them on that wall, and we are going to look away because it is a dirty, d@mn job.
        Colonel Nathan R. Jessup (sort of):

Son, we live in a world that has criminals, and those criminals have to be met by cops with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for criminals, and you curse the cops. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That a criminal's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that street, you need me on that street. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very safety that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and walk a beat. Either way, I don't give a **** what you think you are entitled to.

The difference here? No one ordered a "Code Red".
        Last edited by The Sicatoka; 12-24-2014, 09:44 AM.
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

The age-old glee of violence in a good cause. How can anyone doubt we evolved from apes?
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            The age-old glee of violence in a good cause. How can anyone doubt we evolved from apes?
            I hate to be cynical here, but violence, when successful, is always in a good cause.

Winners write the history.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              I hate to be cynical here, but violence, when successful, is always in a good cause.

Winners write the history.
              Our brave lads; their ruthless criminals.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by omahasioux1 View Post
                What if people actually stopped celebrating thugs, blocking streets, looting, killing cops, robbing and the list goes on.
                A few days before the two NY City police officers were assassinated, a crowd was chanting:

"what do we want?"
                "Dead cops."
                "when do we want it?"
                "Now."

and the mayor was celebrating free speech rights. This very situation is before the SCOTUS right now: when does "free speech" become "criminal menacing"?

IMHO, in this case,
                a) the crowd had the right to chant what they said, as repugnant as it might be: they were speaking symbolically and not "directly" inciting an actual person to commit an actual murder (theoretically they would have been satisfied if a meteor fell from the sky or a sinkhole opened up).
                b) the mayor should have made it explicitly clear that repugnant free speech, while "free", is still despicable.
                Last edited by FreshFish; 12-24-2014, 10:02 AM.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

You are no doubt equally outraged by this and would broadly apply it to all policemen?

What's that?

Can't hear you over the crickets.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Bye,bye union
                    At one time, unions actually did "police" their members in order to preserve their reputation for quality. It was primarily in the building trades, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, and the like, where a sloppy job might kill people. The union members actually cared back then, because their good reputation for quality was one of their primary marketing tools.

Something similar is (very quietly) going on today with physician-owned liability insurance companies. They know who is careful and who is not and they won't offer liability coverage to the "bad apples" at any price.
                    Last edited by FreshFish; 12-24-2014, 10:07 AM.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      You are no doubt equally outraged by this and would broadly apply it to all policemen?

What's that?

Can't hear you over the crickets.

That's disgusting. Can't imagine anyone here would say otherwise.

Why should I broadly apply it to all policemen though? You lost me there...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                        Why should I broadly apply it to all policemen though? You lost me there...
                        You shouldn't, just as the knucks shouldn't use a few protesters to discredit them all.

It's ironic that the paranoids on the right who have been jabbering for all these years about tyrannical government conspiracies against peaceful dissent, when confronted with an actual instance, immediately fall over to fellate the government and vilify the protesters. Can't imagine why...
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          You shouldn't, just as the knucks shouldn't use a few protesters to discredit them all.

It's ironic that the paranoids on the right who have been jabbering for all these years about tyrannical government conspiracies against peaceful dissent, when confronted with an actual instance, immediately fall over to fellate the government and vilify the protesters. Can't imagine why...
                          I'm only vilifying the protesters who are breaking the law and/or calling for dead cops. The rest of 'em can march all they want. I'm more than fine with that.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            What if good cops actually stopped protecting bad cops?
                            http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ds-holding-bl/
                            A California police chief is defending his participation in a police brutality protest where he appeared in uniform holding a “#BlackLivesMatter” sign.

“Sure, I would do it again,” Richmond Police Chief Chris Magnus told a local CBS affiliate.

“I looked at [the sign] for a minute and realized this is actually pretty innocuous, the idea that black lives matter is something that I would think that we should all be able to agree upon. Of course, my feeling is all lives matter,” he said. “I thought it was an important gesture of goodwill.”

Chief Magnus said he was surprised by the negative reaction he received after an onlooker snapped a photo of him at the protest. The Richmond Police Officers’ Association accused him of breaking the law for politicking in uniform, the CBS affiliate reported.

“It certainly wasn’t intended to be a political statement — it was intended to be a humane statement,” Chief Magnus explained. “I can understand how it is hard for a lot of police officers, especially given what has gone on in some the protests, the violence, the ugly anti-police sentiment.”

Comment

I agree that it isn't a political statement, however due to the media coverage and national attention this issue has created, the union will probably disagree. The media and society HAVE turned this into a political issue, which is unfortunate.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                                A few days before the two NY City police officers were assassinated, a crowd was chanting:

"what do we want?"
                                "Dead cops."
                                "when do we want it?"
                                "Now."

and the mayor was celebrating free speech rights. This very situation is before the SCOTUS right now: when does "free speech" become "criminal menacing"?

IMHO, in this case,
                                a) the crowd had the right to chant what they said, as repugnant as it might be: they were speaking symbolically and not "directly" inciting an actual person to commit an actual murder (theoretically they would have been satisfied if a meteor fell from the sky or a sinkhole opened up).
                                b) the mayor should have made it explicitly clear that repugnant free speech, while "free", is still despicable.
                                What crowd was that? Perhaps that was part o that protest that the Faux affiliate doctored to make it sound like the protesters were saying things like that only to then have to mea culpa? (link is in the other thread)

And lets not pretend the police arent making this just as political as anyone...both sides are making a point to be very vocal and out there.
                                Last edited by Handyman; 12-24-2014, 07:51 PM.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X