Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riots and Racists and Looting...OH MY!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Riots and Racists and Looting...OH MY!!!

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...ck-man-n261836

Round 3...FIGHT!
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Those "Forever Selma" tees are big sellers in the fever swamps. But nowhere else.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
        Protesters in Minneapolis shut down the interstate into downtown (I-35W) this afternoon. Reports are it was a combining of fast food workers demonstrating for higher wages and folks protesting the Garner case.

Related: haven't found any charges against that driver who ran over protesters recently. Huh.

If I were on 35 today, there might have been a few injured people, if they didn't get the F outta my way. I wouldn't have been doing the speed limit, but I would have been moving forward.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
          It's Round 4:

Ferguson
          Staten Island
          Cleveland
          Phoenix
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              A Fair(ish) point.

Some could be better at articulating that poverty doesn't excuse behavior as much as help to explain it.
              Yet if one were to say that being four years old doesn't excuse a tantrum as much as explain it, how would people react in the current context?

Making excuses for unacceptable behavior is a subtle way of condoning it, which in turn suggests that the people who engage in such behavior are incapable of controlling it, which in turn is another example of the soft bigotry of low expectations.

You can expect that people are frustrated by many, many things in their lives. A person's girlfriend uses him and then dumps him. We can understand the rage he must feel...but we cannot condone him then taking out a gun and going to her workplace and shooting her and several of her co-workers.

As Kepler said, how much sense does it make to burn your own house down when you are "protesting"?
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Explaining why things happen = condoning something

Comment

Political protests consist of about 50% locals sincerely exercising their political rights because SOMETHING IS WRONG, 10% Professional Dissidents who hop from protest to protest the way people used to follow the Dead, 10% bored kids who drove in from the suburbs because they want to be on TV, 10% government COINTELPRO infiltrators and saboteurs, 10% media talking hair-dos posing for each other, 5% pickpockets, and 5% young, dumb males who want to burn stuff because that's what young, dumb males do.

The game for forces opposed to the protest is to get the public to obsess about all the other groups and imply that NOTHING IS WRONG.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    If I were on 35 today, there might have been a few injured people, if they didn't get the F outta my way. I wouldn't have been doing the speed limit, but I would have been moving forward.
                    Yeah, Ok

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                      Wow. A Phoenix police foundation sponsors a 5k "Run from the Cops" race? Are you kidding me?

I wish we had more cops who posted here. I would really like their input on all this.

We can sit here and say or agree that a bunch of white, college guys from the northern U.S. don't have any perspective on being black in America, but I think it's also true we don't have any perspective on being a cop in America.

What has struck me about all these incidents is this. We put cops into dangerous, difficult positions. We arm them. We give them the right to use those weapons. In certain instances we even allow them to use deadly force.

What I don't think we do, or at least it appears so to me, is a very good job of helping cops make decisions about whether they should use that deadly force in those occasions when it's justified.

I think of the Ferguson or the Iowa state cases as examples. In both instances I think the officers involved can at least make a reasonable claim, one that's difficult for anyone not present to second guess, that deadly force was justified. But I believe police used to do a better job of deciding, once in that spot, whether they should go ahead and use that force. A better job of waiting just that extra moment to see how it plays out. Especially in instances where you don't see a weapon.

But I don't know. I've never had to make that decision.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                        You can expect that people are frustrated by many, many things in their lives. A person's girlfriend uses him and then dumps him. We can understand the rage he must feel...but we cannot condone him then taking out a gun and going to her workplace and shooting her and several of her co-workers.
                        And yet many on here attempt to justify cops killing unarmed persons for any reason they can find. That logic applies to all sides, not just the protestors.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          And yet many on here attempt to justify cops killing unarmed persons for any reason they can find. That logic applies to all sides, not just the protestors.
                          Two realities:

- Just because you are unarmed does not mean you are not dangerous.
                          A 6'4" 300 pound guy about to punch me in the face is not armed, but he poses "an immediate threat of great bodily harm or death" to me.

- Just because you are armed does not make you dangerous.
                          Carrying concealed on the way to the shooting range, I'm looking to go peacefully on my way and bother no one: Dangerous I am not (except to paper targets and a backstop).
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post

Who exactly is justifying the choke hold killing or the boy in Cleveland?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              Who exactly is justifying the choke hold killing or the boy in Cleveland?
                              Well, the prosecutor certainly did, seeing as how there was no indictment.

Sean hannity is, claiming it wasn't a chokehold and he would know as a martial arts student.

Anyone who tries to excuse it because garner was "resisting arrest" is doing so.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                Two realities:

- Just because you are unarmed does not mean you are not dangerous.
                                A 6'4" 300 pound guy about to punch me in the face is not armed, but he poses "an immediate threat of great bodily harm or death" to me.

- Just because you are armed does not make you dangerous.
                                Carrying concealed on the way to the shooting range, I'm looking to go peacefully on my way and bother no one: Dangerous I am not (except to paper targets and a backstop).
                                Garner was not acting dangerously or attempting to punch anyone. The people who escalated that situation were the cops, and specifically the cop grabbing him from behind and then putting him in a chokehold.

One 300 pound man, and let's be honest here, that was fat, not muscle, is not dangerous when outnumbered 5-1 by people with an assortment of weapons and training.

Comment

Working...
                                X