Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riots and Racists and Looting...OH MY!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Riots and Racists and Looting...OH MY!!!

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Yeah, I'd say that sums up what we're all saying.
    Welcome to our world, where people have been arguing that any time somebody mentions poverty in connection with crime that is exactly the same as a hopelessly naive, blind, blanket amnesty for any poor person committing any crime, a position held in the real world by... exactly nobody.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
      Well clearly it exists, it just doesn't exist unless the story involves a person in a white robe shouting racial epithets. There's no such thing as subtle or unconscious racism
      We all know that rich white males are the real victims here.
      Cornell University
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

37 years later, SSDD.
        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

"Oh ****! He broke! Can you break a N?"

Pryor was so great.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Welcome to our world, where people have been arguing that any time somebody mentions poverty in connection with crime that is exactly the same as a hopelessly naive, blind, blanket amnesty for any poor person committing any crime, a position held in the real world by... exactly nobody.

A Fair(ish) point.

Some could be better at articulating that poverty doesn't excuse behavior as much as help to explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              "Oh ****! He broke! Can you break a N?"

Pryor was so great.
              "The ultimate test: can you survive death? So far, nobody's passed the ultimate test, least of all this n-word here. And if you think we're gonna bury you with all them diamonds and sh*t on you've got another think coming."

"West down to the court house to get a little justice. And that's who was there, just us."
              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

As difficult as it is (and convenient for trouble makers) we should make an effort to view these incidents as separate matters, with separate facts and individuals. It is, IMO, very lazy thinking to conclude incidents with very little in common, except for the race of the victim, as being "proof" of something or other.

I thought the jury in Simi Valley got it wrong. At some point, those cops were just teeing off on Rodney King for sh*ts and giggles. I thought the jury in the "loud music" case got it right. Who in h*ll shoots up a car full of teenagers in a 7/11 parking lot because he doesn't like their musical choices? Despite a full court press from the MSM, the Zimmerman jury got it right.

Since I believe grand jury indictments shouldn't be handed up to placate a mob, it seems more likely than not that the grand jury in St. Louis got it right. Too much ambiguity. Too many conflicting witness statements. A case reeking with reasonable doubt.

The Garner video tape is very ugly. And while I fully support "broken windows" policing (murders in NYC down from over 2400 annually to fewer than 400, and the vast majority of those whose lives were saved don't live in Scarsdale), this one looks excessive. And so does the tape of the 12-year old shot to death in Cleveland.

I also thought a criminal jury got it wrong in the case of a former NFL star accused of killing two white people But he was acquitted, and that ends it.

it seems to me we should look at these episodes as discreet events and try to base our opinions on the facts, and not prejudice. And try to avoid fitting those opinions into already existing theories.
                Last edited by Old Pio; 12-04-2014, 03:23 PM.
                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Protesters in Minneapolis shut down the interstate into downtown (I-35W) this afternoon. Reports are it was a combining of fast food workers demonstrating for higher wages and folks protesting the Garner case.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                    As difficult as it is (and convenient for trouble makers) we should make an effort to view these incidents as separate matters, with separate facts and individuals. It is, IMO, very lazy thinking to conclude incidents with very little in common, except for the race of the victim, as being "proof" of something or other.

I thought the jury in Simi Valley got it wrong. At some point, those cops were just teeing off on Rodney King for sh*ts and giggles. I thought the jury in the "loud music" case got it right. Who in h*ll shoots up a car full of teenagers in a 7/11 parking lot because he doesn't like their musical choices? Despite a full court press from the MSM, the Zimmerman jury got it right.

Since I believe grand jury indictments shouldn't be handed up to placate a mob, it seems more likely than not that the grand jury in St. Louis got it right. Too much ambiguity. Too many conflicting witness statements. A case reeking with reasonable doubt.

The Garner video tape is very ugly. And while I fully support "broken windows" policing (murders in NYC down from over 2400 annually to fewer than 400, and the vast majority of those whose lives were saved don't live in Scarsdale), this one looks excessive. And so does the tape of the 12-year old shot to death in Cleveland.

I also thought a criminal jury got it wrong in the case of a former NFL star accused of killing two white people But he was acquitted, and that ends it.

it seems to me we should look at these episodes as discreet events and try to base our opinions on the facts, and not prejudice. And try to avoid fitting those opinions into already existing theories.
                    I generally agree with this.

I was reminded of the incident a year ago on the Iowa State University campus. 19 year old Tyler Comstock gets into a argument with his dad while working the family landscaping business. Kid jumps in the pickup truck and trailer, with the lawn equipment still on board, and heads off across town with the police following.

The kid drove very dangerously, including intentionally backing into or hitting some police vehicles. When they got his truck stopped, there was no "get out of the truck with your hands in the air." It was open fire.

My recollection is these cops walked free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnAW02xU9wQ

https://www.google.com/search?q=tyle...%3B1920%3B1080
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      I generally agree with this.

I was reminded of the incident a year ago on the Iowa State University campus. 19 year old Tyler Comstock gets into a argument with his dad while working the family landscaping business. Kid jumps in the pickup truck and trailer, with the lawn equipment still on board, and heads off across town with the police following.

The kid drove very dangerously, including intentionally backing into or hitting some police vehicles. When they got his truck stopped, there was no "get out of the truck with your hands in the air." It was open fire.

My recollection is these cops walked free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnAW02xU9wQ

https://www.google.com/search?q=tyle...%3B1920%3B1080
                      That was bullshiat too, since the cops were ordered to back off and ignored those orders. Then the kid wound up dead when they pinned his truck and shoot him.

So they disobeyed orders, escalated the situation, and got off Scot free because they feared for their safety in a situation they helped create.

Of course, knowing the county attorney, there was no chance they'd get charged. (I'd say more but for professional discretion).
                      Last edited by unofan; 12-04-2014, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Well you see there's a race issue in our country, but race had nothing to do with the Zimmerman, Wilson, NYPD chokehold, etc.
                        Yeah, there's a race issue in this country. Now demonstrate it led to Wilson being shot.

btw I bet you and I are very much in agreement with what went down with Zimmerman.

btw II - I wonder how many of you consider the level of racism in this country is disproportionate with the rest of the world, haven't spent more than a just a few days in places such as France, Israel, Holland, the Middle East, SE Asia...
                        Last edited by Slap Shot; 12-04-2014, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Wilson was shot

There's more to it than the incident itself. The fact that people actually believe that Brown had superhuman strength instead of just being a (equally) tall, fat person is one example of subtle racism. I doubt Wilson actually believed his own testimony of 5 yr old vs Hulk Hogan (luckily he only had a small red mark on his face after all that!) but if he did that'd be one example of racism leading to the shooting of someone who is 158 feet away.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            I don't owe you squat. I specifically said not to read the link because it would be a waste of your time. You read it anyway, and lo and behold, it was a waste of your time.

You can call me names and say I have white guilt or whatever, but next time you find yourself thinking, "Don't put yourself in that situation" consider the hundreds of thousands of white people who have done the same - or worse - and not suffered any of the consequences. Think if the Bundy ranch had been owned by black man and a bunch of black men showed up and aimed their rifles at LEOs. Consider that a guy who just picked up a toy gun in Wal Mart was shot dead or a 12-year old kid in Cleveland was shot - on film - within 2 seconds of being encountered by a police officer, and he was identified as a 20 year old.

But no, it's white guilt. It's a punch line. It's whatever you want but it sure as hell isn't racism. Nooooo! That's dead and buried. No racism left in the good old US of A.
                            in 2013 blacks committed 5,375 murders. whites committed 4,396. whites are 63% of the population. blacks are 13%

in 2012 cops killed 326 whites with guns. they killed 123 blacks with guns (this number is down 70% in the last 50 yrs).

(all according to fox using fbi, cdc, census material)
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

...but if he did that'd be one example of racism leading to the shooting of someone who is 158 feet away.
                              Who needs racism when we have misinformation to fan the flames.

"Hands up. Don't shoot"

Come on, you're better than this.

Comment

148 feet, my bad. That's not misinformation.

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                in 2013 blacks committed 5,375 murders. whites committed 4,396. whites are 63% of the population. blacks are 13%

in 2012 cops killed 326 whites with guns. they killed 123 blacks with guns (this number is down 70% in the last 50 yrs).

(all according to fox using fbi, cdc, census material)
                                How dare we hold cops to a higher standard than gangs!
                                Last edited by trixR4kids; 12-04-2014, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X