Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riots and Racists and Looting...OH MY!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Riots and Racists and Looting...OH MY!!!

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    You have a lot of experience living in the "real world" of minority neighborhoods, going to houses in poverty-stricken areas and listening to people's stories and concerns, visiting schools and seeing text books that are decades old?

Please, share your wealth of experience in this regard.
    My hand is raised. Been there; done that. Didn't buy the t-shirt; donated the money to the school PTA (what there was of it) instead.

"Mont Pleasant" in Schenectady is a misnomer. Then again, Arbor Hill in Albany and the projects in Troy make it look half decent. Sad thing is there are a couple of neighborhoods in Fargo that are veering toward Mont Pleasant status, and those kids go to, you guessed it, Fargo South HS.
    Last edited by The Sicatoka; 12-03-2014, 02:59 PM.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

It's OK for cops to kill people.

Now, go lecture China about human rights abuses.
      Apparently so. I hope never to give a cop a reason to think it's a good idea.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
        No indictment for the NYPD chokehold officer.

Here we go again.
        6 PM. Union Square.

I wonder if they'll burn down the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center before the lighting ceremony, or wait until after it's lit.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          I don't get this one. I understand why the Ferguson one went the way it did but this one makes no sense to me at all.

Agreed. This one is hard to explain.

Will be interesting to hear the evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

They have live video for this one. I've seen it. It's bad.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Live video of what? The choke?

I don't get it. From what was reported, sure seemed like a case of excessive force.

Comment

Apparently so. I hope never to give a cop a reason to think it's a good idea.
                Too many people don't live by a simple quote from the long forgotten television show "Riptide". I'd say you understand it and act accordingly.

Nick Ryder: "It's Ryder's Law: People generally get out of the way of crazies."

Cops have high-stress jobs. Cut them a wide berth.

PS - Cops are paid to break Ryder's Law. Fun job, eh?
                Last edited by The Sicatoka; 12-03-2014, 03:08 PM.
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

6 PM. Union Square.

I wonder if they'll burn down the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center before the lighting ceremony, or wait until after it's lit.
                  If they time it ju-u-u-ust right ...

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Live video of what? The choke?

I don't get it. From what was reported, sure seemed like a case of excessive force.
                    Yeah, it's been a while but I saw the video on the news back when it happened.

Comment

I have years of experience being a parent and sending my kids to schools where a very small percentage of the student body takes up a large percentage of the faculty's time - which is what my comment was in regards to.

I see what's going on in public schools and the challenges that educators face everyday. The challenges that non-disruptive kids face, just trying to have a normal school experience.

I see it on a weekly basis in the halls of my kid's middle school as I'm dropping him off. At the bi-annual band and chorus concerts. At school dances and other functions.

Of course, you're going to excuse it all because of the home environment that the disruptive kids kids come from, right?

The rest of us should put up with their BS at school because society and life aren't fair?

Understanding where it stems from and being blindly tolerant and accepting of it out of PC BS are two different things.
                      Oh, I'm sorry. I thought when you suggested we need to get a dose of the "real world" you meant the real world, not just the world of the suburban white guy who sends his kids to public schools. I thought you meant someone who has lived in a minority neighborhood, like say, Dorcester. Who went house to house listening to them tell their stories, listening to their concerns and helping them overcome obstacles - like fighting a 9-month battle with City Hall to get a freaking "Slow - Children Playing" sign put up on their street. Or getting everyone together to clean up a vacant lot (because the city sure wasn't going to do it, or make the land owner do it) because it was an eyesore, dangerous, a dumping ground and a hangout for drug dealers. I misunderstood given that the entire discussion up to that point was about race and racism. My apologies.

Comment

The use of "they" throughout this thread is kinda a giveaway.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought when you suggested we need to get a dose of the "real world" you meant the real world, not just the world of the suburban white guy who sends his kids to public schools. I thought you meant someone who has lived in a minority neighborhood, like say, Dorcester. Who went house to house listening to them tell their stories, listening to their concerns and helping them overcome obstacles - like fighting a 9-month battle with City Hall to get a freaking "Slow - Children Playing" sign put up on their street. Or getting everyone together to clean up a vacant lot (because the city sure wasn't going to do it, or make the land owner do it) because it was an eyesore, dangerous, a dumping ground and a hangout for drug dealers. I misunderstood given that the entire discussion up to that point was about race and racism. My apologies.

Accepted.

The discussion was about a disruptive kid in school and his behavior that led to him being forcibly taken to the principal's office and whether he needed to follow the school's rules or not.

You added that other baggage.

Comment

Video is here.

The medical examiner even ruled it a homicide back in August. Plus, the NYPD prohibits choke holds, but you know, choke hold and throwing a man to the ground for simply sticking his hands up is a great response. Also, why are there real (official looking, I should say) cops there, but then the ones that start everything are in tshirts and cargo shorts?
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

What is your suggestion for how high schools should handle discipline then? Let the kids decide when they will or will not go to the principal's office?
                              It's a fair question, and one for which I don't have an answer. But when there's a history of institutionalized imbalance of power in this country, and especially where the incident in question is a white cop telling a young black male to stop acting so black... Man, I just think it's an oversimplification to say "just do what you're told."

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              I disagree when it's things like telling you to step into a room, to step off a street and onto a sidewalk, or produce your drivers license. A cop tells you to kill someone, or rape someone or commit a crime, then absolutely you draw the line. But I don't care if you think the cop is telling you to step into the principal's office because you are black, or pulls you over for speeding just because you are driving a corvette. You obey.

Cops are in power because we put them in power. We want them to be in power. We expect them to use the power. You think it's unjustified, or harassment. Fine, obey, but then fight the speeding ticket in court or file a harassment complaint with the school board or the state human rights department. You want to disobey, or mouth off, or tell the cop to eff off, or some other aggressive, non-compliant response, be prepared to pay the consequences.
                              I think "we put them in power... we expect them to use the power" is an oversimplification, both in that A) I don't know that it's accurate to say "we put them in power" in situations where a police force isn't a reasonable representation of its community (as was the case in Ferguson) and B) saying "we expect them to use the power" means we expect them to use the power vested in them reasonably, not to abuse their power to harass and assault with impunity.

What I'm saying is, what you're suggesting is great in theory but blind to the realities of the situation.

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                              No indictment for the NYPD chokehold officer.

Here we go again.
                              As others have said: I don't get it.
                              Cornell University Men's Hockey
                              NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                                Video is here.

The medical examiner even ruled it a homicide back in August. Plus, the NYPD prohibits choke holds, but you know, choke hold and throwing a man to the ground for simply sticking his hands up is a great response. Also, why are there real (official looking, I should say) cops there, but then the ones that start everything are in tshirts and cargo shorts?
                                Generally "homicide" is just medical examiner lingo for "death caused by someone else" and doesn't really make judgement on justification of said act.

Maybe you already know this but just thought I'd clarify.

Comment

Working...
                                X