X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zudnic
    replied
    Re: Router recommendations?

I don't think N is worth the money unless you're a gamer. Skip 802.11n and wait for 802.11s

Leave a comment:

• amherstblackbear
    replied

I have a cheap Belkin G router. Might have been called "G+" or some such marketing ploy.

Anyway, it's not even N, but it's fast enough for my broadband connection, and I don't really have a home network. I just use it for wireless internet. Works perfectly for me.

If I had to do it again, I'd spend $20-30 and buy it again. Rather than pay extra, I'd use "spare" money to pay down principal on a car loan or credit card.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied

My router was working fine where it was. I was online most of the day Sunday and about 6pm, I started having trouble with websites loading. So, whatever happened, just happened. I didn't do anything, didn't move it, did nothing different or out of the ordinary. And $35 to answer one question is way too much for my time and aggravation. If it was a service call to my house, different story. So, I went to Best Buy and bought a linksys. I was actually able to set it up all by myself!

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

Scarlet, I had this same exact problem. The problem was that I had my router on top of my modem. Somehow the modem and wireless router didn't play well together and when I separated them by about 3 feet, they worked perfectly. Might not work for you, but I suppose it's the cheapest option!

Leave a comment:

• Tundra
    replied

I use linksys (cisco). I think it cost $45 works pretty good.

I would never pay $35 for a tech support... they should pay me to call them. #@$@

Looks like this guy is saying the orange light means you're connecting at 10mb instead of 100m makes sense if you can still connect to it.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=475
    All the ports are 10/100. When you have an orange light it is communicating at 10 and when it is green, it is communicating at 100.

On the computer that has the orange light, go to the properties of your local connection. Click on configure, then the advanced tab, make sure that link speed and duplex is set to Auto Detect.

Peace
    http://resnet.uci.edu/config/NETGEARConfiguration.asp

this will access your router if it's working.

# Open Internet Explorer (with the computer connected to the Router)
    # Enter 192.168.1.1 into the Address Bar, push Enter
    # If 192.168.1.1 does not appear to work, try 192.168.0.1
    # Under the Username field enter “admin”
    # Under the password field enter “password”
    # Click “OK”
    *****http://resnet.uci.edu/config/images/clip_image015_000.gif******

Hmm I think I need to change my router security feature I think my IP address is at default 192.168.1.1

# On the desktop goto “START” >>> “RUN”, type “cmd” under the Open field, and click “OK”
    # Type “ipconfig” into the black screen and push “Enter”
    # Your IP Address should now begin with 128.195.xxx.xxx, if this is NOT the case go back to Step 1 and try again.

Leave a comment:

• sagard
    replied

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    It's not the modem lights - sorry if I made it seem that way. It's the lights on the router itself. They're usually all green. Now one of them is orange when I hook up the ethernet cable from the modem to the router.
    Does it work anyway?

You should be able to open a web page on the Router and do some diagnostic tests through the modem to the Interwebs. Look for a ping or traceroute utility and point the router to a common web site.

The orange vs. green could be a speed indicator and not indicative of a problem. If your PC plugs into your orange router port and goes green, check to see if it is connected at 1Gig. Then check if the router connects to the modem with only 100MB. There is no reason for a cable modem to need a 1Gig connection to your LAN when it has only a several meg connection out to the Cable Co. Similarly you can plug your PC into the cable modem and figure out if it is limited to a 100MB port.

The tech support call is par for the course. Depending on how they run their call center, it may cost the company around $25 to take the call, so $35 for a trouble ticket isn't too bad.

Leave a comment:

• gregg729
    replied

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
    LOL! My first thought was that Scarlet did woodworking.
    Perhaps she does.... That's none of your dam business though!

Leave a comment:

• ScottM
    replied

I would also nominate the Apple Airport if you need a new one. I set mine up in a few minutes without too many problems, and didn't burn down the house.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
    the modem lights should not be affected by the router. if the modem lights are out/orange that is a problem with comcast. however, if you wired around the router and it actually worked then what do i know... (i guess it could be the pc activity light that shows its making a connection)

maybe the wire from the router to the computer is bad? did you try using that wire to connect the modem directly to the computer? or are you using wireless?

and the belkin n+ was recommended by cnet.com based on performance vs cost. obviously there are better ones that will cost more than the $90 this one did.

It's not the modem lights - sorry if I made it seem that way. It's the lights on the router itself. They're usually all green. Now one of them is orange when I hook up the ethernet cable from the modem to the router.

Leave a comment:

• SteveF
    replied

I did that about three times. Then I called Comcast and we figured out that if I hard wired the modem to my laptop it worked. The modem has this one light that is orange, when it's usually green. All I wanted was for someone from NetGear to tell me what that meant. I'm going to package it back up and take it Best Buy and ask the Geek Squad. If I have to buy a new one, I will. I just don't think I should have to pay for someone to tell me that.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

the modem lights should not be affected by the router. if the modem lights are out/orange that is a problem with comcast. however, if you wired around the router and it actually worked then what do i know... (i guess it could be the pc activity light that shows its making a connection)

maybe the wire from the router to the computer is bad? did you try using that wire to connect the modem directly to the computer? or are you using wireless?

and the belkin n+ was recommended by cnet.com based on performance vs cost. obviously there are better ones that will cost more than the $90 this one did.

Leave a comment:

• theprofromdover
    replied

Originally posted by gregg729 View Post
    Craftsman.
    LOL! My first thought was that Scarlet did woodworking.

Leave a comment:

• Zudnic
    replied

I did that about three times. Then I called Comcast and we figured out that if I hard wired the modem to my laptop it worked. The modem has this one light that is orange, when it's usually green. All I wanted was for someone from NetGear to tell me what that meant. I'm going to package it back up and take it Best Buy and ask the Geek Squad. If I have to buy a new one, I will. I just don't think I should have to pay for someone to tell me that.

I wouldn't even bother. Replacing your router shouldn't be more than a $35 problem.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
    Sometimes this can just be fixed by some magical combination of unplugging/resetting the router and modem. Things like unplug the router/let it sit for a minute/replug it in, unplug the router and modem/let it sit/plug in the modem and let it get started up/plug in the router.

If you do end up replacing it, I've never had any major problems with Linksys (at least nothing I wasn't able to eventually fix with the above unplug/replug method).

Leave a comment:

• gregg729
    replied

Craftsman.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
    belkin n+
    I second Belkin, more expensive but I've had a Belkin Pre-n for 5 years or so with few issues, always fixed by unplug-plug

Leave a comment:

Working...
X