Router recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router recommendations?

So, my NetGear router, which is less than 1 year old, has apparently pooped out on me. At least I think it has. I called Comcast and was ableto determine that it is not the modem by hooking the ethernet cable from the modem directly to my laptop. Problem is, my modem is set up behind the television in my 2nd bedroom. At the moment I am sitting on the floor while typing this. I called NetGear and they told me the only support they could give me was email support. Which I would have to do while sitting here on the floor, and not talk to a live person, unless I wanted to pay $36.50 for the support call. Are the *ing kidding?????? So, I hung up on them. I want to replace this piece of crap router from this piece of crap company with something different. Any recommendations?

Re: Router recommendations?

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    So, my NetGear router, which is less than 1 year old, has apparently pooped out on me. At least I think it has. I called Comcast and was ableto determine that it is not the modem by hooking the ethernet cable from the modem directly to my laptop. Problem is, my modem is set up behind the television in my 2nd bedroom. At the moment I am sitting on the floor while typing this. I called NetGear and they told me the only support they could give me was email support. Which I would have to do while sitting here on the floor, and not talk to a live person, unless I wanted to pay $36.50 for the support call. Are the *ing kidding?????? So, I hung up on them. I want to replace this piece of crap router from this piece of crap company with something different. Any recommendations?
    Sometimes this can just be fixed by some magical combination of unplugging/resetting the router and modem. Things like unplug the router/let it sit for a minute/replug it in, unplug the router and modem/let it sit/plug in the modem and let it get started up/plug in the router.

If you do end up replacing it, I've never had any major problems with Linksys (at least nothing I wasn't able to eventually fix with the above unplug/replug method).

Comment

So you don't need a modem, you just need a router for wireless/cabled connections?

You might consider an Apple Airport. I've had mine several years without a problem. Works with both Mac+PC (I'm using windows PC currently).

Cheaper one is $99, and the nicer one is $179.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
        So you don't need a modem, you just need a router for wireless/cabled connections?

You might consider an Apple Airport. I've had mine several years without a problem. Works with both Mac+PC (I'm using windows PC currently).

Cheaper one is $99, and the nicer one is $179.
        I'll agree I have no problems but it is less than optimal... my TV can link to the internet to stream movies but i need a wired connection to do so.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I've always liked, used, Linksys. Had a lot of luck/success with them.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I am working on a thing for work that will result in me shipping out about a dozen routers to field personnel. So I have been hammering on this test router (TP-LINK WR541G) for about six weeks now, and it's worked great.

I chose that model because of a high score on NewEgg and a very low cost. I can definitely recommend it. But act soon, they are discontinued so they're hard to find.
            Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

belkin n+
              “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
              Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
              Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
              National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                belkin n+
                I second Belkin, more expensive but I've had a Belkin Pre-n for 5 years or so with few issues, always fixed by unplug-plug
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Craftsman.
                  PAUL THOMPSON FOR HOBEY!www.thompsonforhobey.com

Vote for Hope and Change in 2010!

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                    Sometimes this can just be fixed by some magical combination of unplugging/resetting the router and modem. Things like unplug the router/let it sit for a minute/replug it in, unplug the router and modem/let it sit/plug in the modem and let it get started up/plug in the router.

If you do end up replacing it, I've never had any major problems with Linksys (at least nothing I wasn't able to eventually fix with the above unplug/replug method).
                    I did that about three times. Then I called Comcast and we figured out that if I hard wired the modem to my laptop it worked. The modem has this one light that is orange, when it's usually green. All I wanted was for someone from NetGear to tell me what that meant. I'm going to package it back up and take it Best Buy and ask the Geek Squad. If I have to buy a new one, I will. I just don't think I should have to pay for someone to tell me that.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Comment

I did that about three times. Then I called Comcast and we figured out that if I hard wired the modem to my laptop it worked. The modem has this one light that is orange, when it's usually green. All I wanted was for someone from NetGear to tell me what that meant. I'm going to package it back up and take it Best Buy and ask the Geek Squad. If I have to buy a new one, I will. I just don't think I should have to pay for someone to tell me that.

I wouldn't even bother. Replacing your router shouldn't be more than a $35 problem.
                      Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by gregg729 View Post
                        Craftsman.
                        LOL! My first thought was that Scarlet did woodworking.
                        Originally posted by mookie1995
                        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

the modem lights should not be affected by the router. if the modem lights are out/orange that is a problem with comcast. however, if you wired around the router and it actually worked then what do i know... (i guess it could be the pc activity light that shows its making a connection)

maybe the wire from the router to the computer is bad? did you try using that wire to connect the modem directly to the computer? or are you using wireless?

and the belkin n+ was recommended by cnet.com based on performance vs cost. obviously there are better ones that will cost more than the $90 this one did.
                          “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                          Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                          Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                          National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                            the modem lights should not be affected by the router. if the modem lights are out/orange that is a problem with comcast. however, if you wired around the router and it actually worked then what do i know... (i guess it could be the pc activity light that shows its making a connection)

maybe the wire from the router to the computer is bad? did you try using that wire to connect the modem directly to the computer? or are you using wireless?

and the belkin n+ was recommended by cnet.com based on performance vs cost. obviously there are better ones that will cost more than the $90 this one did.

It's not the modem lights - sorry if I made it seem that way. It's the lights on the router itself. They're usually all green. Now one of them is orange when I hook up the ethernet cable from the modem to the router.

Comment

I would also nominate the Apple Airport if you need a new one. I set mine up in a few minutes without too many problems, and didn't burn down the house.
                              "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X