Billet Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Billet Family

Also seriously, I assume that the team can provide you with the names of families that are currently billeting so that you could talk to them. And if you know someone personally who’s currently doing it or has done it before, that’s even better, since the team isn’t likely to give you names of families for which it isn’t working (or didn’t work) out well. I’d have a list of questions rather than just a “how did it work out,” because there may be some issues that are no problem to them, but insurmountable to you.

And of the subject of a teenage girl in the house that’s been brought up primarily in jest, my sister and her husband (who had a teenage daughter at the time) hosted a male exchange student with no problems at all. In fact the organization that ran the exchange program said that they’d never had a problem with host families with an opposite sex child, but they’d had many problems (not the vulgar type of problems, just an inability to get along) with female exchange students when there was already a girl in the house. I don’t know about boy exchange students with a boy in the house, because that didn’t apply to them; this could very well be unique to teenage girls.

Comment

Re: Billet Family

I have a friend who's son is with a billet, on the other side of the country from where the kid's parents live. We talk about it alot. It is a big commitment for everyone involved. Of course you have to be a hockey family. Hopefully your son in HS gets along well with him in all aspects. You have to think about all scenarios - what if your son's HS team tanks, falls to last place and maybe he loses interest in the sport or gets benched - while the billet kid's team is in first place and he's the top goal scorer? You might see some emotional extremes like that. Most kids at the Billet level adjust pretty well though. Constant communication with his parents is also a must. As far as disciplining the billet kid, it sounds like the coaches help alot in that regard. He needs his own room, own wifi, and car if applicable.
      I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

Working...
      X