X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Global War on Terror Version 6 - Perpetual Motion Machine

Originally posted by burd View Post
    You apparently think harsher criticism was warranted. In what way?
    There is little need nor desire for me to offer harsher criticism of Obama on this subject.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Based upon the comment and Fishy's lean, I'd say his thought is in the other direction, that said criticism was unwarranted. http://www.michaelsavage.wnd.com/201...s-to-congress/
      I guess I should have used an emoticon of some kind.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
        I guess I should have used an emoticon of some kind.
        Yes, I've found at many times that a "sarcasm alert" is warranted with some people as well. "roll eyes" doesn't quite do it properly. I've pretty much given up on sarcasm in some threads entirely.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

More war. More money for defense contractors. More stock price. Nothing accomplished.

Nice planet.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

If the Iranians want to build a bomb, so be it. If they get close to building one, by the time the Israeli Air Force gets to Tehran they will find smouldering ruins left behind by the Chinese jets on their way back to Beijing.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              More war. More money for defense contractors. More stock price. Nothing accomplished.

Nice planet.
              And I'm sure they'll go through another round of layoffs in a couple months.

Glad I'm out of that business.

Comment

*** would Iran do with one anyway? Are their leaders oblivious to the concept of fallout or Western retribution? And lest anyone trot out suicide for Allah it's never the ruling elite that makes that sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  *** would Iran do with one anyway? Are their leaders oblivious to the concept of fallout or Western retribution? And lest anyone trot out suicide for Allah it's never the ruling elite that makes that sacrifice.
                  gee, so Iran couldn't smuggle a bomb out of its country and supply it to a surrogate? and then deny with a straight face that the bomb came from them? "after all, it might have come from dissidents in Pakistan, or maybe Kim Jong Un sold one of his on the black market for an outrageous sum. You can't prove it came from us, but if you try to attack us in some supposed form of 'retaliation', well, then we'll unleash everything we have at you!"

So you are really that confident that (a) Iran can be trusted, and (b) they actually will honor any agreement they make, and (c) we'll have enough good intelligence to know well ahead of time?? Do you actually have any evidence to support any of those assertions, given the track record we've seen so far?

Some of the evidence captured in the bin Laden raid indicates that Iran let al Qaeda operate covertly inside its borders. Yet that evidence is only coming to light now, even though the raid was two years ago. I hate it as much as you do, I really do. I don't want us to have to deal with them. But it is insane not to do otherwise: think of it like gangrene. You cannot ignore it, it will not go away, it will not stop spreading, it will not respond to antibiotics, it will not respond to any treatment known to humankind. there is only one way and one way only to keep it from killing you. You think anybody wants that???

Comment

It must really suck to live every day in fear of a nuke going off in your backyard.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      It must really suck to live every day in fear of a nuke going off in your backyard.
                      Too bad you didn't live in the 50s and 60s
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        No one fired a nuke at another country in the 50s or 60s due to MAD. Closest it came was the Cuban Missile Crisis, and even then that was mostly a Navy "Game of Chicken", which today gets excessively elevated by history books as a method of beefing up overrated JFK's wimpy resume.

Today? Perhaps there will be a nutty Islamist cult who gets ahold of and fires a nuke "in the name of Allah". I don't think it's likely though.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          That's kind of my point
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            *** would Iran do with one anyway?
                            Not get invaded.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Today? Perhaps there will be a nutty Islamist cult who gets ahold of and fires a nuke "in the name of Allah". I don't think it's likely though.
                              It will happen eventually. It's inevitable, and no doubt America will overreact at a historically unprecedented level, which is saying something considering the nation's incredibly shortsighted and emotionally driven response to 9/11. Probably only a matter of time until random shopping malls start getting shot up at irregular intervals. Was amused at the alarm that concept caused when it hit the news a few (I think) weeks ago. I'm surprised it took the jihad brigade 12 years to figure that idea out, to be honest. Some of these things are going to happen and it isn't going to be fun, and I'm not sure the Western world is capable of reacting rationally when the time comes, which is far more dangerous than most people realize. Point being: I'd be careful when it comes to belittling the possibility certain things. Doing so merely puts oneself in a position to act surprised when they do occur, when in reality they should come as no surprise at all.
                              Last edited by XYZ; 03-08-2015, 04:03 AM.
                              I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                                It will happen eventually. It's inevitable, and no doubt America will overreact at a historically unprecedented level, which is saying something considering the nation's incredibly shortsighted and emotionally driven response to 9/11. Probably only a matter of time until random shopping malls start getting shot up at irregular intervals. Was amused at the alarm that concept caused when it hit the news a few (I think) weeks ago. I'm surprised it took the jihad brigade 12 years to figure that idea out, to be honest. Some of these things are going to happen and it isn't going to be fun, and I'm not sure the Western world is capable of reacting rationally when the time comes, which is far more dangerous than most people realize. Point being: I'd be careful when it comes to belittling the possibility certain things. Doing so merely puts oneself in a position to act surprised when they do occur, when in reality they should come as no surprise at all.
                                There's definite truth to that. Once we hang the "evil" label on a threat, we are capable of very irrational behaviors. ISIS is an evil force, but we watch a handful of beheadings on cable news or youtube and we are ready to sacrifice many lives and spend billions of dollars to kick some arse, while we watch over 480,000 Americans die each year from tobacco related causes. Nobody is saying Phillip Morris is ISIS, but there is no dispute that big tobacco has long known that its products kill and that they are addictive. It is going after our own people and profiting hugely from doing it.

Similar conclusions are being reached about sugar consumption, which is also addictive. The American Heart Association Conf in 2011 announced that 180,000 deaths are caused worldwide from consumption of sugary drinks alone.

Figures can easily be disputed, and American companies selling cigarettes and sugary cereals and drinks are not plotting to blow up orphanages and decapitate aid workers and journalists. They are not evil incarnate. Ours is a free society and they are just making profits in ways we permit them to. But the scale of harm that has already occurred and will continue to occur from those friendlies is thousands of times worse than is being caused by ISIS and other radical groups. But the people making the real bucks are the people selling the image, and once we affix a label to a product or a group, we can be convinced to do some very irrational and destructive things.

Comment

Working...
                                X