X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Global War on Terror Version 6 - Perpetual Motion Machine

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Is it just me or does China's new J-31 stealth fighter looks suspiciously like the US's F-35?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0IV0WY20141111
    You're confused. The Chinese would never do anything like that.

http://www.carscoops.com/2012/02/chi...ord-f-150.html
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      You're confused. The Chinese would never do anything like that.

http://www.carscoops.com/2012/02/chi...ord-f-150.html
      I've seen that before with car manufacturing, and I just chalk that up to doing business in China. The clones there use cheaper parts than the US version, so there's a huge quality and/or performance disparity, but something tells me the Chinese government didn't skimp on any of the components when copying the F-35.

If I were running a company like Lockheed, I'd take a long, hard look at keeping company secrets that impact US defense capabilities like that on non-networked PCs, or a network that's not in anyway hooked up to any network that extends beyond a single building. Sure, it would raise the costs of doing that business, but I think most people would allow such considerations in these matters.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

If I were running a company like Lockheed, I'd take a long, hard look at keeping company secrets that impact US defense capabilities like that on non-networked PCs, or a network that's not in anyway hooked up to any network that extends beyond a single building. Sure, it would raise the costs of doing that business, but I think most people would allow such considerations in these matters.
        Not related to China, but...
        One of my wife's clients is a small medical device manufacturer. They hold several patents for a particular line of a device with a limited but growing market. They are continually working to improve the product and the manufacturing process. They have several computers in their small office and ONE computer connected to the internet. There is nothing related to design, production, accounting, or personnel on the machine with internet. A pain for my wife who has to go on the'net for certain things, but he hasn't been hacked yet.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          If we ever decide that a Presidential candidate "must have" certain pre-requisites on his/her resume before we can be induced to vote for him/her, one pre-requisite that would be high on my list would be a basic level of competence in chess.

Chess started as a training exercise for generals and diplomats, on how to structure your resources while anticipating attacks from your opponents so that you also could prepare adequate defenses. I'm not sure about the statistics but I think that the plurality of outcomes at a high enough level is a draw, which is a perfectly fine outcome in many cases.

Anyway, so Russia invades another sovereign country and we respond by imposing economic sanctions. Let's say that the sanctions start to "bite." What kind of response might we anticipate?

For example, if sanctions are working, might that not increase the chances of a broader invasion, to gain control of more territory more quickly before the sanctions diminish your abilities? Might effective sanctions drive Russia to shore up an alliance with an otherwise-natural, historical enemy? and so if Russia engages in either of these actions, which one might anticipate if one actually had the capacity for forethought, what would our response be, given that we've already had a chance to think it through and have several ready on a contingency basis, just in case?

If your opponent is a skilled chess player and you are ignorant of the game, might it make sense to have a good chess player or two on your team and then, you know, actually listen to him/her from time to time?

Interesting you pick a game of attrition as opposed to a game like go. A game considered far more complex than chess.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Interesting you pick a game of attrition as opposed to a game like go. A game considered far more complex than chess.
            Sun-Tzu vs. Clausewitz?
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Tim Kaine, coming off a much closer than expected re-election bid, speaks his mind on boots on the ground.

http://rare.us/story/this-democrat-s...-one-sentence/

And there once was a Mullah in Birmingham. ...

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/james-delingpole/9361702/the-islamic-sermon-that-taught-me-whats-happened-to-my-old-home-town/
              Last edited by joecct; 11-12-2014, 08:35 PM.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I prefer my President's to be well verse in Magic The Gathering. I'm not gonna vote for somebody who just sits around waiting to combo off!

U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Pat on the US and the oil weapon.
                  http://m.townhall.com/columnists/pat...hands-n1918458
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'm fine with alternate qualifications. The main point was that we need leaders who can think strategically and long-term.

I would actually choose backgammon ahead of both chess and go, since backgammon requires both a good strategic aptitude as well as a keen assessment of probabilities. Life has lots of random events, just like each throw of the dice is random; yet a good strategy leads to patterned responses to said randomness that are likely to be effective in the long run in the majority of situations.

OTOH, Chess does seem to have a far wider following, I haven't heard anything in the news about the world go championships lately.
                    Last edited by FreshFish; 11-14-2014, 08:18 AM.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Probably because 'Murica! Seriously.
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

IOTOH, Chess does seem to have a far wider following, I haven't heard anything in the news about the world go championships lately.
                        I've never heard of a game called "go."
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I've only played it a few times and it was against a person who has played it many times.

I'm not certain but it wouldn't surprise me if I flipped the table over and swore off that ****ed game.
                          Code:

Comment

I've never heard of a game called "go."
                            I Googled it. Here in the US, they have a congress for it...

http://www.usgo.org/what-go
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I flipped the table over and swore off that ****ed game.
                              I often feel that way about checkers. Someone once told me that if both players were good enough, checkers is just a more complicated version of tic-tac-toe, in that it is only possible to win if the other player makes a mistake. I have no idea whether that is true or not.

I am reminded of War Games, if I am not mistaken one of Matthew Broderick's first movies, after the computer had simulated every possible version of Thermo Nuclear War: "The only way to win is not to play."

Edit: IMDB lists it as the second movie role in his career.
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I often feel that way about checkers. Someone once told me that if both players were good enough, checkers is just a more complicated version of tic-tac-toe, in that it is only possible to win if the other player makes a mistake. I have no idea whether that is true or not.
                                It is. If played perfectly, I think the player who goes first would always win. I remember reading it a number of years ago when some guy broke the record for most games of checkers played at once.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X