• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Re: Global War on Terror Version 6 - Perpetual Motion Machine

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Too bad you didn't live in the 50s and 60s
    No one fired a nuke at another country in the 50s or 60s due to MAD. Closest it came was the Cuban Missile Crisis, and even then that was mostly a Navy "Game of Chicken", which today gets excessively elevated by history books as a method of beefing up overrated JFK's wimpy resume.

Today? Perhaps there will be a nutty Islamist cult who gets ahold of and fires a nuke "in the name of Allah". I don't think it's likely though.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    It must really suck to live every day in fear of a nuke going off in your backyard.
    Too bad you didn't live in the 50s and 60s

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

It must really suck to live every day in fear of a nuke going off in your backyard.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    *** would Iran do with one anyway? Are their leaders oblivious to the concept of fallout or Western retribution? And lest anyone trot out suicide for Allah it's never the ruling elite that makes that sacrifice.
    gee, so Iran couldn't smuggle a bomb out of its country and supply it to a surrogate? and then deny with a straight face that the bomb came from them? "after all, it might have come from dissidents in Pakistan, or maybe Kim Jong Un sold one of his on the black market for an outrageous sum. You can't prove it came from us, but if you try to attack us in some supposed form of 'retaliation', well, then we'll unleash everything we have at you!"

So you are really that confident that (a) Iran can be trusted, and (b) they actually will honor any agreement they make, and (c) we'll have enough good intelligence to know well ahead of time?? Do you actually have any evidence to support any of those assertions, given the track record we've seen so far?

Some of the evidence captured in the bin Laden raid indicates that Iran let al Qaeda operate covertly inside its borders. Yet that evidence is only coming to light now, even though the raid was two years ago. I hate it as much as you do, I really do. I don't want us to have to deal with them. But it is insane not to do otherwise: think of it like gangrene. You cannot ignore it, it will not go away, it will not stop spreading, it will not respond to antibiotics, it will not respond to any treatment known to humankind. there is only one way and one way only to keep it from killing you. You think anybody wants that???

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied

*** would Iran do with one anyway? Are their leaders oblivious to the concept of fallout or Western retribution? And lest anyone trot out suicide for Allah it's never the ruling elite that makes that sacrifice.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    More war. More money for defense contractors. More stock price. Nothing accomplished.

Nice planet.
    And I'm sure they'll go through another round of layoffs in a couple months.

Glad I'm out of that business.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

If the Iranians want to build a bomb, so be it. If they get close to building one, by the time the Israeli Air Force gets to Tehran they will find smouldering ruins left behind by the Chinese jets on their way back to Beijing.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

More war. More money for defense contractors. More stock price. Nothing accomplished.

Nice planet.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

Originally posted by burd View Post
    I guess I should have used an emoticon of some kind.
    Yes, I've found at many times that a "sarcasm alert" is warranted with some people as well. "roll eyes" doesn't quite do it properly. I've pretty much given up on sarcasm in some threads entirely.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Based upon the comment and Fishy's lean, I'd say his thought is in the other direction, that said criticism was unwarranted. http://www.michaelsavage.wnd.com/201...s-to-congress/
    I guess I should have used an emoticon of some kind.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

You apparently think harsher criticism was warranted. In what way?
    There is little need nor desire for me to offer harsher criticism of Obama on this subject.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Based upon the comment and Fishy's lean, I'd say his thought is in the other direction, that said criticism was unwarranted. Dr. Savage is calling the bluff on reading the transcript, though. http://www.michaelsavage.wnd.com/201...s-to-congress/

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    A bit disappointed in Obama's response to Netanyahu's speech: "he didn't offer any new ideas" or however he phrased it.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    A bit disappointed in Obama's response to Netanyahu's speech: "he didn't offer any new ideas" or however he phrased it.

Netanyahu was very clear on a "third way": increase the pressure and intensity of sanctions. They already had bite when oil was $100 / bbl, now at $50 / bbl, ramp them up even more, until the Iranians buckle.

Iran has already proven that it cannot be trusted, and they are arming Shiite groups across the Middle East (probably assisted by special forces operatives as well): in Gaza, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, and Qatar, Iranian-backed forces are in control of substantial territory. Allow Iran to smuggle nuclear weapons to any of them, and boom!
    Hard to say if the new Russia equation has changed the Iran equation.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

Netanyahu was very clear on a "third way": increase the pressure and intensity of sanctions. They already had bite when oil was $100 / bbl, now at $50 / bbl, ramp them up even more, until the Iranians buckle.

Iran has already proven that it cannot be trusted, and they are arming Shiite groups across the Middle East (probably assisted by special forces operatives as well): in Gaza, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, and Qatar, Iranian-backed forces are in control of substantial territory. Allow Iran to smuggle nuclear weapons to any of them, and boom!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X