X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Global War on Terror Version 6 - Perpetual Motion Machine

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Except I didn't say anything like that. Men and women have differences, but those difference are irrelevant to their public roles.
    I would also add that many of the differences are overestimated. Take athletic ability. Some people imagine two separate bell curves with little overlap when the reality is more like two significantly overlapping bell curves with minimal differences on the two tails.
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
      I would also add that many of the differences are overestimated. Take athletic ability. Some people imagine two separate bell curves with little overlap when the reality is more like two significantly overlapping bell curves with minimal differences on the two tails.
      I'm actually arguing something a bit different. When people bring up the fireman example, I argue that it proves my point. You want a strong woman rather than a weak man. Having physical strength tests makes sense, and even if it did fall 99% male 1% female so be it. But having a gender test makes no sense, and is just the result of blindly imposing the obsolete gender-based pattern.

Not to mention that the public role gender distinction dates back directly to the idea of a woman being a man's property, and women as a whole being men's as a whole subject for definition and restriction.
      Last edited by Kepler; 02-13-2015, 11:32 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I just love how the "Conservatives" love war so much. It's so "Counter Intuitive". It's like "Conservative" has become meaningless.

Sen. John Cornyn (R., Texas) saying the Senate “eagerly awaits the address of Prime Minister Netanyahu before a joint session of the United States Congress” and reaffirms the U.S. commitment to standby Israel in “times of uncertainty.”
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I'm actually arguing something a bit different. When people bring up the fireman example, I argue that it proves my point. You want a strong woman rather than a weak man. Having physical strength tests makes sense, and if it falls 90% male 10% female so be it. But having a gender test makes no sense, and is just the result of blindly imposing the obsolete gender-based pattern.
          Sorry to take away from your point but I also completely agree with this post as well.

I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
            Sorry to take away from your point but I also completely agree with this post as well.
            No problem; I agree in principle with what you're saying too. I've seen the data for math proficiency and other intellectual characteristics once very wrongly thought to be gender-related. I haven't seen the data on physical strength -- I suspect there is less overlap there, though likely not as much as we might intuit.

Here's one study chosen at random from the internet and thus definitive.

Abstract: (sorry about the hard returns)

Taxometric methods enable determination of whether the latent structure of a construct is dimensional or
            taxonic (nonarbitrary categories). Although sex as a biological category is taxonic, psychological gender
            differences have not been examined in this way. The taxometric methods of mean above minus below
            a cut, maximum eigenvalue, and latent mode were used to investigate whether gender is taxonic or
            dimensional. Behavioral measures of stereotyped hobbies and physiological characteristics (physical
            strength, anthropometric measurements) were examined for validation purposes, and were taxonic by sex.
            Psychological indicators included sexuality and mating (sexual attitudes and behaviors, mate selectivity,
            sociosexual orientation), interpersonal orientation (empathy, relational-interdependent self-construal),
            gender-related dispositions (masculinity, femininity, care orientation, unmitigated communion, fear of
            success, science inclination, Big Five personality), and intimacy (intimacy prototypes and stages, social
            provisions, intimacy with best friend). Constructs were with few exceptions dimensional, speaking to
            Spence’s (1993) gender identity theory. Average differences between men and women are not under
            dispute, but the dimensionality of gender indicates that these differences are inappropriate for diagnosing
            gender-typical psychological variables on the basis of sex.
            Last edited by Kepler; 02-13-2015, 11:38 AM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              I just love how the "Conservatives" love war so much. It's so "Counter Intuitive". It's like "Conservative" has become meaningless.
              Israel crosses political lines.

Do you think history gives a thumbs up our thumbs down to the War Hawks of the mid 1800's?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Here's one study chosen at random from the internet and thus definitive.
                I wish you could know how much I appreciate that sentence.

Comment

"For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city." --Zechariah 14:2

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politi...213-story.html

Also notice how, in the plan for the upcoming war, there's nothing about Jews being one of the groups to be protected.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    "For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city." --Zechariah 14:2

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politi...213-story.html

Also notice how, in the plan for the upcoming war, there's nothing about Jews being one of the groups to be protected.
                    Of course not. God sorts everyone out.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                      Not this whole line of thinking that men and women are exactly the same. I have to accept that nothing, no matter how obvious, is accepted as "fact" anymore if it doesn't suit agendas being pushed. Sheesh!
                      Did it ever occur you, Bob, that you might have an agenda of your own?

Comment

I'm sure if a Muslim had killed three American students in North Carolina, the police and the media would be quick to say it was a parking dispute.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          I'm sure if a Muslim had killed three American students in North Carolina, the police and the media would be quick to say it was a parking dispute.
                          He was just a troublemaker and a little obsessed with parking. Don't know what the big deal is.

Comment

Seriously, anyone who doesn't have one of those much-maligned "agendas" is most likely an apathetic, and dare I suggest, boring (?) individual. It's human nature to have an opinion on how things should be run.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Did it ever occur you, Bob, that you might have an agenda of your own?
                              When it's you it's an agenda. When it's me it's principles.
                              Cornell University

Comment

When it's you it's an agenda. When it's me it's principles.
                                One man's trash, is another man's treasure.

In the immortal paraphrasing of Sen. Dan Quayle, "Potatoe, Potahtoe".

Comment

Working...
                                X