X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Global War on Terror Version 6 - Perpetual Motion Machine

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I'm surprised there isn't a more effective movement to end the lotteries. From the left, it's obviously just an ugly type of regressive revenue collection. From the right, the idea of "striking it rich" undermines their whole (for the most part, delusional) association of wealth as a reward for hard work.
    You sound like Art Link!!! (Google him if you must). Ol' Art must have spent the last 10 years of his life publicly politicking against lotteries.

I have a theory, one that I stole from John Marinacci. Marinacci was a little known character actor who shows up in mob movies and shows, and most recently went down as part of a sports gambling group in NY, as I recall. His theory -- We are all just looking for action, in gambler's parlance.

Marinacci was a "talking head" in a documentary that I really liked, called "ALL IN: The Poker Movie". Marinacci's theory is that gambling is hardwired into Americans. We are all descendents of gamblers. People who sold everything and hopped on a boat with no real plan, who swam across a river or stowed away to get here, and then once here headed out on a series of gambles. Much of what made the country resulted from "gambles" people took, for the most part no more than a handful of generations ago.

We can't resist, and have no desire to give it up.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

A moderate Muslim leader calls out Obama's unwillingness to call radical Islam "radical Islam":

By denying that this is about Islam, “President Obama does us a disservice, because doing so deprives the Muslim community of its responsibility to fight this radical monster,” says Muslim democrat Naser Khader, a former member of the Danish Parliament....“By doing that, the West fails to understand that the Muslims will be the most crucial soldiers to fight this Islamic terrorism.” Mr. Khader calls for a revolution in Islam that would reinterpret the sacred texts in a way that is “compatible with modernity.”
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        You sound like Art Link!!! (Google him if you must). Ol' Art must have spent the last 10 years of his life publicly politicking against lotteries.

I have a theory, one that I stole from John Marinacci. Marinacci was a little known character actor who shows up in mob movies and shows, and most recently went down as part of a sports gambling group in NY, as I recall. His theory -- We are all just looking for action, in gambler's parlance.

Marinacci was a "talking head" in a documentary that I really liked, called "ALL IN: The Poker Movie". Marinacci's theory is that gambling is hardwired into Americans. We are all descendents of gamblers. People who sold everything and hopped on a boat with no real plan, who swam across a river or stowed away to get here, and then once here headed out on a series of gambles. Much of what made the country resulted from "gambles" people took, for the most part no more than a handful of generations ago.

We can't resist, and have no desire to give it up.
        In the old days there were losers in the lottery. Now everybody has to be a winner and get a trophy. If they don't win, they blame the system.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          In Potsdam, Ogdensburg and Olean?
          Ogdenville, Brockway, and North Haverbrook?
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Ogdenville, Brockway, and North Haverbrook?
            What about us lazy slobs?
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              What about us lazy slobs?
              You'll all be given cushy jobs.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                You'll all be given cushy jobs.
                Were you sent here by the Devil?
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  Were you sent here by the Devil?
                  No good sir I'm on the level!
                  Code:

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    A moderate Muslim leader calls out Obama's unwillingness to call radical Islam "radical Islam":
                    In my best Michael Savage impression, it's because it's raaaaaaaaaa-cist...

Comment

Breed baby, BREED! (especially Europeans)
                      http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/...like-a-rabbit/
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

(especially Europeans)
                        In other words...
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Honestly - yea. Remember Africa and the Middle East used to be colonies. And when my son was in France he was told he wouldn't have problems if he overstayed his visa because he was white.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Honestly - yea. Remember Africa and the Middle East used to be colonies. And when my son was in France he was told he wouldn't have problems if he overstayed his visa because he was white.
                            Very simple solution.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

No no no, we don't eat the Bibles; we READ them. Remember, reading Bible plus accepting Jesus equals FOOD!

Comment

Never heard of that fear. Lots of others, but not that one. It's not like Africa is about to approach Asia in terms of population. Asia is over four times as populated as Africa and has well over half of the world's population. Even in this country, Hispanics are growing rapidly and I've seen article about conflict between blacks, who see their piece of the minority pie shrinking. There was an interesting article awhile back about a city council seat in Phoenix that had traditionally gone to a black person, but was now at risk of being held by a Hispanic, due to a fast-growing Hispanic population in the district.
                                Originally posted by Priceless
                                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                                Very well, said.
                                Originally posted by Rover
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X