• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteveP
    replied
    Re: Global War on Terror Version 6 - Perpetual Motion Machine

Mounties bust more Canadian jihadis
    The RCMP say the latest Ottawa man arrested on terrorism charges is linked to five others already charged in a terrorist conspiracy, and was also involved in a major 2010 bust that brought down the ringleader of a local terror network.

Police arrested Awso Peshdary, 25, Tuesday and charged him with participating in terrorism and facilitating terrorist activity, alleging he financed efforts to send homegrown jihadists Syria to join the ranks of Islamic State fighters.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Less than a day later, Jordan hangs 2 Al-Qaeda (one a woman terror bomber).

Geez, all we do is give them tenure.
    Or a Fox News gig.

Leave a comment:

• SteveP
    replied

Originally posted by burd View Post
    Even Barn'?
    The worst type of Hitler!

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

ISIL kills a Jordanian pilot by burning him to death. Less than a day later, Jordan hangs 2 Al-Qaeda (one a woman terror bomber).

Geez, all we do is give them tenure.
    Last edited by joecct; 02-03-2015, 10:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    If you read Flaggy's other posts, you should know by now that it's each and every police officer to wear the badge. Beat cop? Hitler. Murder detective? Hitler. Meter maid? Yup, that's Hitler, too.
    Schutzstaffel is not Hitler, unless there was some sort of aura of extension.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    If you read Flaggy's other posts, you should know by now that it's each and every police officer to wear the badge. Beat cop? Hitler. Murder detective? Hitler. Meter maid? Yup, that's Hitler, too.
    Even Barn'?

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Who is the domestic Hitler?

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Theocracy: always the life of the party.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Gary Beach or Dick Shawn. You could even push for Henry Gibson.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I'd be more focused on the enemies within. People are so worried about the Hitlers of the rest of the world that they don't notice the one that has slid under the radar domestically.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    I am a big pacifist. But there are cases where isolationism is the wrong choice.

I was one of the few people that I knew that was vehemently against Iraq before the war (only 27% were against at start). On the other hand, Putin has to be managed. There's a big difference between Saddam (as someone leading a small country, who was at the time doing nothing to nobody, and was no threat to any other country) and a Putin who shows traits more similar to Hitler with only a half step less power.

I'm not saying that war is the right course...but unless we're talking nuclear war, blanket anything is usually a bad policy. Continued situation management is the correct action.
    I'd be more focused on the enemies within. People are so worried about the Hitlers of the rest of the world that they don't notice the one that has slid under the radar domestically.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The question is, has the erection of this massive, all-seeing, all-gathering surveillance state actually impeded our ability to mark the threats? Have we kicked up so much dust that we can't see what we're doing?

The other thing is even though budgets have ballooned resources are still, at the end of the day, finite, so all the overreach bleeds focus, energy, time, and money from the effective measures.
    I don't have a strong opinion on this one. But I'm not arguing black or white...I'm suggesting nuance. I don't know that turning off this kind of information is the right course. And I'm not sure that in the end generating reports with red flags that are only used in the case of an emergency isn't a money/time drop in the bucket. It may not be about whether to use the information...but how. And I'm saying this in a complementary fashion...it appears you know far more than I do on the topic.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    It's the Ukraine worth American lives? Pat says no. Not unexpected as he's an isolationist.
    http://m.townhall.com/columnists/pat...raine-n1951846
    I am a big pacifist. But there are cases where isolationism is the wrong choice.

I was one of the few people that I knew that was vehemently against Iraq before the war (only 27% were against at start). On the other hand, Putin has to be managed. There's a big difference between Saddam (as someone leading a small country, who was at the time doing nothing to nobody, and was no threat to any other country) and a Putin who shows traits more similar to Hitler with only a half step less power.

I'm not saying that war is the right course...but unless we're talking nuclear war, blanket anything is usually a bad policy. Continued situation management is the correct action.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

It's the Ukraine worth American lives? Pat says no. Not unexpected as he's an isolationist.
    http://m.townhall.com/columnists/pat...raine-n1951846

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Amen to this. Perhaps the paradigms of politics truly are changing from liberal/conservative to libertarian/authoritarian.
    There was a lot of talk about this is in the late 1970s when the big 'L' Libertarian Party (from the right) and Barry Commoner's various environmental parties (from the left) started to attract people away from the R & D parties. The thinking was there was a new dimension of political participation opening up, and the four quadrants would eventually be represented: Libertarian (right-wing libertarian), Something or Other (left-wing libertarian), Republican (right-wing authoritarian), and Democratic (left-wing authoritarian).

It didn't happen, perhaps because the established parties closed authoritarian ranks and made it impossible for third parties to germinate via campaign finance and ballot laws.

But those quadrants are real, if simplistic, and personally I typically feel equidistant between big 'D' Democratic and small 'l' libertarian voters, with the polar opposite being the big 'R' Republican right-wing authoritarian army of darkness that started to consume the mainstream right beginning with Reagan, and then accelerating to near levels of fascism under Dubya.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X