X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Global War on Terror Version 6 - Perpetual Motion Machine

Originally posted by burd View Post
    The golf thing. Much like the fallacy regarding OB's excessive use of executive orders compared to prior Presidents, the hysteria from the right about OB's excessive time away from the office is just that. According to White House Correspondent Mark Knoller, Mr. Counter on all things Presidential, OB had taken 19 vacations for a total of 125 days as of August 2014. At the same stage of his presidency, Dubbya had taken 65 vacations for a total of 407 days . This does not count trips to Camp David, of which OB took 33 for 84 days and Dubbya took 84 for 341 days.

One might conclude that the economy is doing so much better now than it was when the prior pres left because the new guy is not afraid to come in to work.
    "'Tis but a scratch." Thank you, Black Knight.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

The golf thing. Much like the fallacy regarding OB's excessive use of executive orders compared to prior Presidents, the hysteria from the right about OB's excessive time away from the office is just that. According to White House Correspondent Mark Knoller, Mr. Counter on all things Presidential, OB had taken 19 vacations for a total of 125 days as of August 2014. At the same stage of his presidency, Dubbya had taken 65 vacations for a total of 407 days . This does not count trips to Camp David, of which OB took 33 for 84 days and Dubbya took 84 for 341 days.

One might conclude that the economy is doing so much better now than it was when the prior pres left because the new guy is not afraid to come in to work.
      OK, he was to busy playing a game of pick up Bball
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        Well, since he does play way more golf than prior presidents, he was probably sitting at this desk daydreaming about how to cure that slice or, in the tradition of prior dem presidents, playing with his putter.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Even your attempts at snark fail.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
            I don't believe security concerns played any role in this cluster bleep. This president, this administration, has done everything it can to downplay the nature, extent and reality of Islamic extremism. This snub to the world's sensibilities is merely part of that effort.
            This whole incident struck me like the situation where you get a party invite, and it looks like it's going to be a bore, so you blow it off, and then the next day when you find out who was there, you're like "crap, I knew I should have gone."
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Comment

I don't care for Cruz. But there is a huge difference between him and Obama not being in France.

That tweet isn't making a worthwhile point.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                  I don't care for Cruz. But there is a huge difference between him and Obama not being in France.

It's making the point that Cruz is a huge hypocrite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    It's making the point that Cruz is a huge hypocrite.
                    Except in this case there's not really any hypocrisy. He wasn't expected to be there.
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Except in this case there's not really any hypocrisy. He wasn't expected to be there.
                      You're right. This is much better.

Of course, if he had gone the message would be that he was wrong in going, was trying to make political hay out of a terror attack...etc.

Comment

Well, since he does play way more golf than prior presidents, he was probably sitting at this desk daydreaming about how to cure that slice or, in the tradition of prior dem presidents, playing with his putter.
                        I can't believe he played more golf than Eisenhower did while he was in office. There are some reports out there logging all of his rounds, and it was something like two or three rounds each week. If you add in the time he spent recovering from his surgeries/illnesses, and a good portion of his term was not spent "doing the peoples' work." Then again, it was certainly a different time in the 1950's with all but the first six months of his eight-years in office spent in peace and an economy that was humming along nicely for most of it, too.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Editorial in Nature concerning the close links between freedom of thought, freedom of speech and rationality.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I agree. Cruz is nothing but an opportunist slimebag, but there is no comparison between his (invalid) criticism of Obama and his own absence. The President is the symbolic face of America. Although incorrect, there is at least some meaning in questioning whether the president should be at an event like this. Cruz is protected from the criticism of hypocrisy precisely because Cruz is a zero, and therefore symbolic of nothing.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Agreed.

Obama botched not having a meaningful presence in France, either himself or Biden or someone meaningful (or even have Holder head over from his meeting in Paris to join the march), which is surprising, as he usually hits the easy look good appearance type events. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it was a surprisingly obvious botch.
                              Originally posted by Priceless
                              Good to see you're so reasonable.
                              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                              Very well, said.
                              Originally posted by Rover
                              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                This whole incident struck me like the situation where you get a party invite, and it looks like it's going to be a bore, so you blow it off, and then the next day when you find out who was there, you're like "crap, I knew I should have gone."
                                What popped into my head when I saw the video was the gathering of world figures after JFK's assassination. DeGaulle found time to stop by. If the president didn't want to go he could have sent Biden. Isn't that what vice presidents are for?
                                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Working...
                                X