X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Global War on Terror Version 6 - Perpetual Motion Machine

I'm sure if a Muslim had killed three American students in North Carolina, the police and the media would be quick to say it was a parking dispute.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Not this whole line of thinking that men and women are exactly the same. I have to accept that nothing, no matter how obvious, is accepted as "fact" anymore if it doesn't suit agendas being pushed. Sheesh!
    Did it ever occur you, Bob, that you might have an agenda of your own?

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    "For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city." --Zechariah 14:2

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politi...213-story.html

Also notice how, in the plan for the upcoming war, there's nothing about Jews being one of the groups to be protected.
    Of course not. God sorts everyone out.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

"For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city." --Zechariah 14:2

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politi...213-story.html

Also notice how, in the plan for the upcoming war, there's nothing about Jews being one of the groups to be protected.

Leave a comment:

• WisconsinWildcard
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Here's one study chosen at random from the internet and thus definitive.
    I wish you could know how much I appreciate that sentence.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I just love how the "Conservatives" love war so much. It's so "Counter Intuitive". It's like "Conservative" has become meaningless.
    Israel crosses political lines.

Do you think history gives a thumbs up our thumbs down to the War Hawks of the mid 1800's?

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
    Sorry to take away from your point but I also completely agree with this post as well.
    No problem; I agree in principle with what you're saying too. I've seen the data for math proficiency and other intellectual characteristics once very wrongly thought to be gender-related. I haven't seen the data on physical strength -- I suspect there is less overlap there, though likely not as much as we might intuit.

Here's one study chosen at random from the internet and thus definitive.

Abstract: (sorry about the hard returns)

Taxometric methods enable determination of whether the latent structure of a construct is dimensional or
    taxonic (nonarbitrary categories). Although sex as a biological category is taxonic, psychological gender
    differences have not been examined in this way. The taxometric methods of mean above minus below
    a cut, maximum eigenvalue, and latent mode were used to investigate whether gender is taxonic or
    dimensional. Behavioral measures of stereotyped hobbies and physiological characteristics (physical
    strength, anthropometric measurements) were examined for validation purposes, and were taxonic by sex.
    Psychological indicators included sexuality and mating (sexual attitudes and behaviors, mate selectivity,
    sociosexual orientation), interpersonal orientation (empathy, relational-interdependent self-construal),
    gender-related dispositions (masculinity, femininity, care orientation, unmitigated communion, fear of
    success, science inclination, Big Five personality), and intimacy (intimacy prototypes and stages, social
    provisions, intimacy with best friend). Constructs were with few exceptions dimensional, speaking to
    Spence’s (1993) gender identity theory. Average differences between men and women are not under
    dispute, but the dimensionality of gender indicates that these differences are inappropriate for diagnosing
    gender-typical psychological variables on the basis of sex.
    Last edited by Kepler; 02-13-2015, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• WisconsinWildcard
    replied

I'm actually arguing something a bit different. When people bring up the fireman example, I argue that it proves my point. You want a strong woman rather than a weak man. Having physical strength tests makes sense, and if it falls 90% male 10% female so be it. But having a gender test makes no sense, and is just the result of blindly imposing the obsolete gender-based pattern.
    Sorry to take away from your point but I also completely agree with this post as well.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

I just love how the "Conservatives" love war so much. It's so "Counter Intuitive". It's like "Conservative" has become meaningless.

Sen. John Cornyn (R., Texas) saying the Senate “eagerly awaits the address of Prime Minister Netanyahu before a joint session of the United States Congress” and reaffirms the U.S. commitment to standby Israel in “times of uncertainty.”

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
    I would also add that many of the differences are overestimated. Take athletic ability. Some people imagine two separate bell curves with little overlap when the reality is more like two significantly overlapping bell curves with minimal differences on the two tails.
    I'm actually arguing something a bit different. When people bring up the fireman example, I argue that it proves my point. You want a strong woman rather than a weak man. Having physical strength tests makes sense, and even if it did fall 99% male 1% female so be it. But having a gender test makes no sense, and is just the result of blindly imposing the obsolete gender-based pattern.

Not to mention that the public role gender distinction dates back directly to the idea of a woman being a man's property, and women as a whole being men's as a whole subject for definition and restriction.
    Last edited by Kepler; 02-13-2015, 11:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• WisconsinWildcard
    replied

Except I didn't say anything like that. Men and women have differences, but those difference are irrelevant to their public roles.
    I would also add that many of the differences are overestimated. Take athletic ability. Some people imagine two separate bell curves with little overlap when the reality is more like two significantly overlapping bell curves with minimal differences on the two tails.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    Guess the party of the politician who said this: "Women are a lesser cut off meat.".
    That whole article is dumb, except this alone made it worthwhile:

sausage a thing.
    I doubt it was original, but it was new to me and I groaned. Beautiful; worthy of Spider Robinson.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Not good history. History stays out of the good/bad game, because historians know that good/bad changes right along with what they're being applied to.

It's been a long time since the division between the public roles of men and women made any sense. It is a pattern that matched the facts of a different time. All history does is record the changing of the facts and the patterns; but the idea that any pattern is eternal is completely ahistorical.
    Guess the party of the politician who said this: "Women are a lesser cut off meat.".

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Not this whole line of thinking that men and women are exactly the same. I have to accept that nothing, no matter how obvious, is accepted as "fact" anymore if it doesn't suit agendas being pushed. Sheesh!
    Except I didn't say anything like that. Men and women have differences, but those difference are irrelevant to their public roles.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

Not good history. History stays out of the good/bad game, because historians know that good/bad changes right along with what they're being applied to.

It's been a long time since the division between the public roles of men and women made any sense. It is a pattern that matched the facts of a different time. All history does is record the changing of the facts and the patterns; but the idea that any pattern is eternal is completely ahistorical.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X