• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unofan
    replied
    Re: Global War on Terror Version 6 - Perpetual Motion Machine

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    who said anything about an amphibious assault? since when has AQ or ISIS fought conventionally? please read what I actually said again.

They're on the move, they've stated their goals and thusfar no-one anywhere has stopped them.
    How else are they going to get straight from Libya to Italy (perhaps by way of Cyprus)? Because if you think they're going to get to France and/or Spain in 2 years by going the land route through Turkey and the Balkans and Germany and the Alps, then you're really nuts.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

In retrospect, historians will probably say that by now, World War III has already started.
    -- in Europe, with Russia "annexing" Crimea and sending ground troops into eastern Ukraine
    -- in the Middle East, with Iran sending special forces troops and weapons into Syria, Iraq, Gaza, Lebanon, and Yemen

It will be interesting to see how China responds. On one hand, you'd think they'd like to supplant the US as the world's major superpower, on the other hand, if the US gets too weak, then it won't keep buying Chinese goods and their economy will stagnate. They are both hard-headed business people and long-term realpolitik strategists, which side of that split personality will eventually take the upper hand?

When we are attacked, refusing to fight back does not mean that we are avoiding war, we are merely delaying it.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    I don't like Obama.
    Brevity is the soul of wit.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

After an epiphany, one sometimes wonders how one could have missed the obvious for so long....

Obama's foreign "policy" makes sense to me now. It seems very simple and direct: "we are not going to spend money overseas. I have delusions of grandeur domestic policy ambitions that are my highest priority, and I don't want to divert any money away from them to people outside the US, no matter how much they are suffering or how much danger 'down the road' the situation might bring. My highest priority is US domestic policy and everything else doesn't really matter too much to me one way or the other."

Were he merely to say so outright, I could accept that as a defensible point of view. However, his unwillingness to state his policy so clearly leads to what otherwise would seem mind-boggling denial of the obvious. I have little doubt that privately he does acknowledge that Islamic extremism is indeed a serious problem, but if he said so publicly then he'd face pressure to do something about it, and so it is "easier" from a political standpoint to pretend that "violent" extremists are not motivated by Islam.

Same thing with allowing Iran to develop a nuclear bomb. I have little doubt that privately he knows that Iran will not stop until they have one, but for him to acknowledge that publicly, he knows he'd then have to do something to stop them, and so he pretends that it's not a problem. After all, he'll be out of office in two years, so why let overseas problems distract him from his domestic priorities? his successor can just deal with the situation then, meanwhile he has more important things to do.

As I said, such a viewpoint does not bother me in itself, it is merely the obfuscation and pretense surrounding it that is frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

who said anything about an amphibious assault? since when has AQ or ISIS fought conventionally? please read what I actually said again.

They're on the move, they've stated their goals and thusfar no-one anywhere has stopped them.
    Have faith, kind sir or madam. In the rural areas, there are still, as the Japanese put it during WWII, guns behind every blade of grass. Await in prepared patience, for when they come, they shall not pass.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    How about infiltration of government, with many areas in Europe now instituting Shariah law?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Leave a comment:

• solovsfett
    replied

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    Bwhahahaha. The article has one correct geographical fact, so the whole thing must be true?

You clearly have no clue how much material and command-and-control infrastructure it takes to launch an amphibious assault. How's that ISIS Navy looking these days?

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

It's already claimed a number of heads.
    That it has.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by burd View Post
    ISIS will cause painful sores to appear on various parts of the body; it won't claim a limb.
    It's already claimed a number of heads.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

There are more weapons being used than the combat ones you're used to seeing. How about mental/emotional weapons through religion, as seen by the higher presence of Islam? Or did you forget what the first I in ISIS stood for? How about infiltration of government, with many areas in Europe now instituting Shariah law? How about another mass exodus of Jews back to Israel? There comes a time when coincidence is too small of a probability to stand on its own.

Will it happen in exactly two years? I don't know. At the rate things are going, will it happen within a generation? Yes.
    ISIS will cause painful sores to appear on various parts of the body; it won't claim a limb.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    Bwhahahaha. The article has one correct geographical fact, so the whole thing must be true?

You clearly have no clue how much material and command-and-control infrastructure it takes to launch an amphibious assault. How's that ISIS Navy looking these days?
    There are more weapons being used than the combat ones you're used to seeing. How about mental/emotional weapons through religion, as seen by the higher presence of Islam? Or did you forget what the first I in ISIS stood for? How about infiltration of government, with many areas in Europe now instituting Shariah law? How about another mass exodus of Jews back to Israel? There comes a time when coincidence is too small of a probability to stand on its own.

Will it happen in exactly two years? I don't know. At the rate things are going, will it happen within a generation? Yes.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied
    China invading or not invading Taiwan is irrelevant to this situation. I have no idea how that is apropos.

As for you saying that I think "ISIS will romp over Western Europe in two years" for the record (again), here is what I said

absolutely terrifying stuff: http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...rom-libya.html

If no-one (read: U.S., UK, Germany, Australia) stands up to ISIS militarily (meaning boots on the ground, not video game pilots) they'll carve their way up to France or Spain within 2 years.

If that article is correct (and we know that part about ISIS being close to Sicily is correct) in the quote about their desire to take Rome and it's description of Italy's national defense situation or lackthereof, than how can it be absurd to think ISIS won't march into France in short order after arriving in Italy?

Leave a comment:

• solovsfett
    replied

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    You said they'd be in Spain and France in two years. In order to do that, they'd have to establish a foothold in western Europe and go from there.

That's farking insane. China, a country with infinitely more resources, can't even invade Taiwan if they wanted to, but you think ISIS will romp over western Europe in two years.
    China invading or not invading Taiwan is irrelevant to this situation. I have no idea how that is apropos.

As for you saying that I think "ISIS will romp over Western Europe in two years" for the record (again), here is what I said

absolutely terrifying stuff: http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...rom-libya.html

If no-one (read: U.S., UK, Germany, Australia) stands up to ISIS militarily (meaning boots on the ground, not video game pilots) they'll carve their way up to France or Spain within 2 years.

If that article is correct (and we know that part about ISIS being close to Sicily is correct) in the quote about their desire to take Rome and it's description of Italy's national defense situation or lackthereof, than how can it be absurd to think ISIS won't march into France in short order after arriving in Italy?

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    I don't know Bob or flaggy (???).

And no I'm not saying ISIS will have a d-day like foothold in Western Europe, but let's analyze that analogy a minute. Have you read about d-day? Exactly what type of foothold did the U.S., Canada, Britain et al have at 0600 the following morning? Precarious. It seems you see June 6, 1944 in the lens of the final outcome of the war and not the outcome of that day solely.

I pointed at an article that describes ISIS wanting to take Rome and I'll add if you're not alarmed that ISIS has not been thwarted anywhere, if you're not alarmed they're talking about Rome now when they're a scant what, 2 hours from Sicily at this point? I'll ask, at what point WOULD you be alarmed?
    You said they'd be in Spain and France in two years. In order to do that, they'd have to establish a foothold in western Europe and go from there.

That's farking insane. China, a country with infinitely more resources, can't even invade Taiwan if they wanted to, but you think ISIS will romp over western Europe in two years.
    Last edited by unofan; 02-20-2015, 12:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    I want to take Rome, too.
    TERRORIST!!!!! Hit the deck!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X