• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlagDUDE08
    replied
    Re: Global War on Terror Version 6 - Perpetual Motion Machine

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    I go with the boots on the ground option as soon as the children of the 1% and members of Congress sign up to be in the first wave.
    Not sure they'll do that. They wanted to get a draft going for Iraqi Freedom because the Millennials are Baby Boomers' kids, and with there being too many of those, gotta control the population with war (reference: Dr. Day's warning). It backfired. And now, the millennials are past the draft age. So what do you do? You aren't going to have enough.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Hey thinking is bad, how dare you expect supposedly learned people to think about things and not just take their ideas from entertainment news. (see also: anyone that sounds like they watch too much MSNBC)
    I'm afraid of ISIS. I must watch too much FOX.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I go with the boots on the ground option as soon as the children of the 1% and members of Congress sign up to be in the first wave.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Don't dodge the question. Beyond acknowledging what their objectives are, do you have any specific ideas for dealing with ISIS? How are we supposed to know that your plan is any different or better than Obama's?
    How could he? Drudge hasn't posted that yet.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    Well, isn't the first step to acknowledge what it is and what it's ambitions are? We aren't even there yet. The theologist-in-chief is still unwilling to admit the obvious, and until that happens we are kind of stuck, no?
    Don't dodge the question. Beyond acknowledging what their objectives are, do you have any specific ideas for dealing with ISIS? How are we supposed to know that your plan is any different or better than Obama's?

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Wait wait wait... you actually went out with someone with Harvard in the family?!
    The sins of the parent should not be visited upon their offspring.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The Mom of an ex-GF watched nothing but MSNBC. Even though she was a Harvard History PhD I still couldn't stand talking to her -- she was nothing but a playback device for Rachel. (And I got nuthin' against Rachel, but the entire point of education is to be able to think for yourself.)
    Wait wait wait... you actually went out with someone with Harvard in the family?!

Leave a comment:

• busterman62
    replied

The Mom of an ex-GF watched nothing but MSNBC. Even though she was a Harvard History PhD I still couldn't stand talking to her -- she was nothing but a playback device for Rachel. (And I got nuthin' against Rachel, but the entire point of education is to be able to think for yourself.)
    [Sarcasm]Thankfully no one around here links to Rachel routinely[/Sarcasm]

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Hey thinking is bad, how dare you expect supposedly learned people to think about things and not just take their ideas from entertainment news. (see also: anyone that sounds like they watch too much MSNBC)

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Your hatred of Obama is blinding you to the fact that everything he's said jibes completely with what's going on over there. He just has the additional responsibility to not screw up our diplomacy with the rest of the Muslim world, so he can't throw those NY Post style bombs that seem to turn you on.

TDS ran a great story a couple days ago juxtaposing Obama's rhetoric and actions against everything the GOP rump in Congress wants us to do. They are identical. All the whining from the right is just the empty sloganeering of the HE'S TEH ANITCHRIST!!!!! crowd.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Well, isn't the first step to acknowledge what it is and what it's ambitions are? We aren't even there yet. The theologist-in-chief is still unwilling to admit the obvious, and until that happens we are kind of stuck, no?
    Your hatred of Obama is blinding you to the fact that everything he's said jibes completely with what's going on over there. He just has the additional responsibility to not screw up our diplomacy with the rest of the Muslim world, so he can't throw those NY Post style bombs that seem to turn you on.

TDS ran a great story a couple days ago juxtaposing Obama's rhetoric and actions against everything the GOP rump in Congress wants us to do. They are identical. All the whining from the right is just the empty sloganeering of the HE'S TEH ANITCHRIST!!!!! crowd.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    That's great. So what do you propose we do about ISIS?

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Oooh, ISIS, I'm scared.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Here is a fantastic article about the theology that motivates ISIS:

some highlights:

Paraphrase from a related article whose link I've misplaced.

ISIS is a brand of fundamentalism that is highly Islamic: their goal is to restore Islamic rule. They are killing Muslims as well as non-believers because to them, heresy / apostasy is a more serious sin than non-belief. They believe that terrorizing non-believers is merciful because it causes them to surrender more quickly, shortening the conflict and saving lives (assuming they then convert). Other Muslims are heretics because they believe in co-existence with non-believers.

To say that ISIS is "not Islam" is like saying "fundamentalist Christians" are "not Christian." To ISIS leaders, they are the only pure form of Islam that exists, and it is their sacred duty to impose Islamic law on the entire world.

Nothing will stop them except force. The more land they take over, the stronger they get. It is like gangrene: "oh, so what if my toe has gangrene, I don't really need my toe to walk, I'll just ignore it and hope it doesn't spread any further."

Yeah, how well does that work?
    That's great. So what do you propose we do about ISIS? "Boots on the ground" was clearly an expensive, drawn-out failure that ousted the existing, neutered leadership and created a vacuum that was filled with new leaders who are far worse.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

Here is a fantastic article about the theology that motivates ISIS:

some highlights:

Paraphrase from a related article whose link I've misplaced.

ISIS is a brand of fundamentalism that is highly Islamic: their goal is to restore Islamic rule. They are killing Muslims as well as non-believers because to them, heresy / apostasy is a more serious sin than non-belief. They believe that terrorizing non-believers is merciful because it causes them to surrender more quickly, shortening the conflict and saving lives (assuming they then convert). Other Muslims are heretics because they believe in co-existence with non-believers.

To say that ISIS is "not Islam" is like saying "fundamentalist Christians" are "not Christian." To ISIS leaders, they are the only pure form of Islam that exists, and it is their sacred duty to impose Islamic law on the entire world.

Nothing will stop them except force. The more land they take over, the stronger they get. It is like gangrene: "oh, so what if my toe has gangrene, I don't really need my toe to walk, I'll just ignore it and hope it doesn't spread any further."

Yeah, how well does that work?
    I saw this article in The Atlantic, which sounds similar to the article you may be referencing. It's an important angle that this isn't just some crazy group of fanatics who don't have plans, goals, etc. While I don't agree with everything in the article, it was quite an interesting read and stuff like setting up the caliph was the kind of stuff that westerners don't seem to generally understand, but that seems to be very significant to the overall equation.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/...-wants/384980/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X