Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice Planet #8: You People Make Me Sick.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet #8: You People Make Me Sick.

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    Or, possibly, "all reports" weren't even close to accurate. This woman clearly was not well trained. She may have had training. It may have even been expertly provided. But it didn't stick.

But then again, training had nothing to do with this. You don't need any training to know you don't give a 2 year old a loaded handgun. All you need is the common sense at least as great as a bowl of bean dip.
    Nods.

I'm all for guns. But stupid people need to friggin' learn. Stupid people like this mom.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

So you want it both ways? The fat guy would be alive if he wasn't breaking the law, just like the women would be alive if she wasn't carrying a loaded weapon. Both were their choices and both were totally preventable.
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        So you want it both ways? The fat guy would be alive if he wasn't breaking the law, just like the women would be alive if she wasn't carrying a loaded weapon. Both were their choices and both were totally preventable.
        No, I'm just willing to accept there are shades of grey. Unfortunately the stupidity of this woman was so off the charts it's as close to black and white as you can get on this planet.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Nods.

I'm all for guns. But stupid people need to friggin' learn. Stupid people like this mom.
          I wonder if she's learned. Let's ask her....oh...

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            I wonder if she's learned. Let's ask her....oh...
            I'm sad she died, don't get me wrong. But I will also thank Darwin.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              I'm sad she died, don't get me wrong. But I will also thank Darwin.
              People keep saying that but she already passed on her genes so she doesn't qualify for a Darwin Award...

Comment

People keep saying that but she already passed on her genes so she doesn't qualify for a Darwin Award...
                You do have a point. Hopefully the dad is smarter, and the kid takes after him.

Comment

Why would an presumably intelligent woman (researcher at a national lab) feel that she needs to carry in Walmart in Idaho? I'd say that says as much about the world we're in as her.

Next, what model handgun was she carrying? If she was trained and educated (as it seems she was as she was permitted), did she choose a poor carry weapon for her circumstance? With kids around I'd say she should've been carrying a revolver or a Smith & Wesson M&P series semi-auto or a Ruger semi-auto. Those have thumb switch safeties plus staged triggers.

Me? I carry a Springfield XDM Compact chambered in .40 caliber. The XDM, similar to Glocks, does not have a thumb switch safety. My XDM has a back strap safety (proper grip) and a staged trigger; Glocks only have staged triggers. I like my XDM the way it is: chambered, grip, point, trigger. If I pick it up and point it at something it's purposeful. But I don't have two year olds around me either. And I'm relentless in that if it's not on me it's in the vault.

If she was carrying a semi-auto, why was it chambered ("racked in"). I tend to carry my XDM with a loaded magazine, and a spare magazine, but not racked (meaning there's no round in the firing chamber). I know that I've been "scolded" by many (including cops and former cops) that it's stupid to not have it chambered and ready. I consider not chambered a safety ... and I also know the sound of someone racking a semi-auto, like the sound of actuating the pump on a shotgun, are distinctive sounds that tend to work in your favor.

Basically, what I'm saying is this: if your knee-jerk reaction is a paleo-"gun bad" (and you know who you are) you aren't helping; actually, you're no better than this. I guess I'm saying you don't ask blue hairs driving Buicks to make rules for NASCAR.
                  Last edited by The Sicatoka; 01-01-2015, 12:13 PM.
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

If she was carrying a semi-auto, why was it chambered ("racked in"). I tend to carry my XDM with a loaded magazine, and a spare magazine, but not racked (meaning there's no round in the firing chamber). I know that I've been "scolded" by many (including cops and former cops) that it's stupid to not have it chambered and ready. I consider not chambered a safety ... and I also know the sound of someone racking a semi-auto, like the sound of actuating the pump on a shotgun, are distinctive sounds that tend to work in your favor.
                    Would have to agree with you on that.
                    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Terry Rutledge, Veronica's father-in-law, told The Spokesman-Review that the boy unzipped the special gun compartment in the woman's purse where the weapon was kept while she was looking at clothing.

Terry Rutledge said his daughter-in-law did not put the weapon "loosely into her purse."

Victoria Rutledge had a concealed weapons permit, and guns were a big part of Rutledge's life, her father-in-law said.

"She was not the least bit irresponsible," Terry Rutledge said in a brief interview with The Associated Press. He complained about people using the incident to attack his daughter-in-law.
                      http://www.startribune.com/politics/...287184501.html

So, now it is not irresponsible to carry a loaded gun within reach of a two year old and get shot with it.

What exactly is ANYONE responsible for anymore? Anything?
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Guns in the US have become a fetish. These people are just going through a cultural ritual, nothing more. It's about identity. Their voodoo is if they tap these little dildos together three times they'll be transported back home to a world without gays, minorities, and non-Christians, where women shut up and get them a sammich.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Guns in the US have become a fetish. These people are just going through a cultural ritual, nothing more. It's about identity. Their voodoo is if they tap these little dildos together three times they'll be transported back home to a world without gays, minorities, and non-Christians, where women shut up and get them a sammich.
                          There's a lot of weirdly misplaced rage in this post that makes me hope you don't have access to a gun. But even though there are certainly a lot of fools in the world,
                          1. This owner was actually a woman herself
                          2. Most owners just use guns to kill tasty animals which they eat for food. Delish!
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

As a woman who carries a purse, I don't even take my purse off my arm in a store, much less leave it untended while looking at something, because it's not safe. And I don't even carry a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              There's a lot of weirdly misplaced rage in this post that makes me hope you don't have access to a gun. But even though there are certainly a lot of fools in the world,
                              1. This owner was actually a woman herself
                              2. Most owners just use guns to kill tasty animals which they eat for food. Delish!
                              How much food is left over after the brave hunter uses an assault rifle on a deer?

Comment

How much food is left over after the brave hunter uses an assault rifle on a deer?
                                It'll be pretty much the same as if that hunter had used any other rifle on a deer.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X