Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice Planet #8: You People Make Me Sick.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet #8: You People Make Me Sick.

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    So the fat guy in NY selling butts reaped what he sowed?
    Yeah, that's the "fun" part about life. Sometimes things are totally preventable and sometimes you're just in the path of the tornado. In the fat guy case it's a little of both. More tornado I'd say. In the case of the woman being shot it was 100% totally preventable.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Wow.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I just can't imagine leaving a loaded handgun with the safety off completely unattended in a store, much less near a 2 year old. That said it's still really sad.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          I feel horrible for the kid. I do. The woman is the reaper in this case. She evidently based on her job is a smart woman. So, why the hell was the gun loaded, in her purse, with the safety off, in the reach of a 2 year old. That's stupidity that is off the charts.

Darwin is LAUGHING HIS *** OFF.
          Now that you've scored your political points, when you're done doing your pathetic touchdown dance, I suggest you get professional help.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Now that you've scored your political points, when you're done doing your pathetic touchdown dance, I suggest you get professional help.
            Not interested in the political points. I think I can compartmentalize enough to feel emphatic for the child in this case, and the woman for that matter while at the same time calling her out as one of the stupidest people I've ever seen reported in a news story.

Thanks for the advice though.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

With all due respect, I think this is off the mark.

I don't think SD and I agree on a whole lot with respect to guns. As I've stated often before on this board, I think gun control in general, especially as practiced or proposed in this country, is stupid.

Let people buy as many guns as they want. Keep track, by serial number, who owns them. Make people responsible for what happens as a result of their guns. Let private homeowners or businesses decide whether they want to refuse to allow people onto their property with guns. That's about it.

But this woman was stupid.

It's sad she's dead. It's sad her kid won't have a mom, and will have to go through whatever pain awaits the kid for the rest of it's life. If the two year old had shot another customer, I'd be the first one here demanding prosecution of the mother, if for nothing else, being too stupid to let out in public.

This wasn't the kid's fault. It wasn't the gun's fault. It wasn't society's fault. A woman, in freaking Idaho of all places, decides to take a loaded gun to a WalMart and leave it with her two year old. Why? Couldn't get the chainsaw fired up?

This is no different than the idiot in Arizona who agreed to hand a loaded uzi to a little girl.

There is no joy in her death, John Donne and all. But the message commentators should be writing is this. You want to own a handgun, fine. But if you are going to be stupid with it, don't expect me to come to your funeral.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I don't disagree that she mishandled the weapon. Scooby is just being himself, sadly.

Comment

Too many Americans are well versed in their rights but ignorant of their responsibilities. Guns are a particularly bad example because of the 2nd Amendment. I'm confident the vast majority of (legal) gun owners scrupulously follow the appropriate procedures to keep their weapons safe and out of the hands of children. However, some don't.

Some years ago I interviewed a Houston surgeon who had treated several child victims of shootings. He said since the kids generally examine guns close to their face, when it goes off they suffer head wounds. If they survive they risk hideous facial damage or brain damage or both.

It's clear gun owners need to go the extra mile, every single time, to protect themselves and others from their weapons. Any slip up can result in death or serious injury.
                  2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

I don't disagree that she mishandled the weapon. Scooby is just being himself, sadly.
                    There's a big difference between mishandled and GROSS negligence.

Comment

Gun People crack me up.
                      There's a big difference between mishandled and GROSS negligence.
                      Sorry if I don't agree with your breezy, reflexive opinion that all gun owners are illiterate Neanderthals who deserve what's coming to them, "because Darwin". This isn't the first time you've acted in a hyperbolic manner on the topic, and I know it won't be the last.

EDIT: And that goes for Kepler too, though I know he'll probably laugh it off.
                      Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 12-31-2014, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Sorry if I don't agree with your breezy, reflexive opinion that all gun owners are illiterate Neanderthals who deserve what's coming to them, "because Darwin". This isn't the first time you've acted in a hyperbolic manner on the topic, and I know it won't be the last.

EDIT: And that goes for Kepler too, though I know he'll probably laugh it off.
                        You realize that one of your "certified" instructors put an UZI in a 12 year old girls hands and got himself killed, right? This is one of your "trained" professionals. And now you have a woman who supposedly has a conceal and carry permit and she's too ****ing stupid to not get herself shot with her own gun by her own two year old.

People need to wake the **** up.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                          Too many Americans are well versed in their rights but ignorant of their responsibilities. Guns are a particularly bad example because of the 2nd Amendment. I'm confident the vast majority of (legal) gun owners scrupulously follow the appropriate procedures to keep their weapons safe and out of the hands of children. However, some don't.
                          But according to all the reports, she has been well-trained in handling guns and firearm safety. Up until this incident, she would have been a model for responsibility. If this is what happens to the NRA poster mom , is it really any surprise so many people want these firearms reduced (or removed) in society? Especially given their ability to rain death and destruction upon dozens of innocent people? The second amendment also mentions "well-regulated." Maybe we should start to focus on that part of the language.

Comment

You realize that one of your "certified" instructors put an UZI in a 12 year old girls hands and got himself killed, right? This is one of your "trained" professionals. And now you have a woman who supposedly has a conceal and carry permit and she's too ****ing stupid to not get herself shot with her own gun by her own two year old.

People need to wake the **** up.
                            I don't claim the NRA as my own. I am not a member, and never have been. That organization is a bunch of hackjob pro lobbyists, with Mr. "Jack-booted Government Thugs" as their cult leader.

This is just another example of presumptuous smearing on your part. I've already agreed with the majority that the woman involved should have taken further precautions, and did not. I firmly agree with firearm education programs, background checks, and I would also support mandatory owner registration/licensing of semi-automatic weapons of all types, and a ban on so-called "private sales" of those weapons, though it will probably never happen. None of that, is going to prevent tragedies. It's a sad fact of life.

However, stating that "Gun People" give you the lulz, just confirms your biases. So I don't know why I even bother at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              But according to all the reports, she has been well-trained in handling guns and firearm safety. Up until this incident, she would have been a model for responsibility. If this is what happens to the NRA poster mom , is it really any surprise so many people want these firearms reduced (or removed) in society? Especially given their ability to rain death and destruction upon dozens of innocent people? The second amendment also mentions "well-regulated." Maybe we should start to focus on that part of the language.
                              Or, possibly, "all reports" weren't even close to accurate. This woman clearly was not well trained. She may have had training. It may have even been expertly provided. But it didn't stick.

But then again, training had nothing to do with this. You don't need any training to know you don't give a 2 year old a loaded handgun. All you need is the common sense at least as great as a bowl of bean dip.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Fark it. Happy New Year, you schlubs.

Comment

Working...
                                X