Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice Planet #8: You People Make Me Sick.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet #8: You People Make Me Sick.

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    One.
    Full auto weapons are illegal in the US without extensive special permitting.
    Huh. I guess the guys who shoot up schools must have really fast trigger fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      Huh. I guess the guys who shoot up schools must have really fast trigger fingers.
      Just because they are illegal doesn't mean certain individuals don't have access.

For the anti-gun people...there are people in this nation that don't follow the laws. Imagine that.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Just because they are illegal doesn't mean certain individuals don't have access.

For the anti-gun people...there are people in this nation that don't follow the laws. Imagine that.
        Would you not agree that the ban on automatic weapons has greatly limited their availability, though? In other words, it works?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          Would you not agree that the ban on automatic weapons has greatly limited their availability, though? In other words, it works?
          I would agree with that. I'm pro-gun. I'm also fond of enforcing the actual laws, and keeping idiots from guns (like the mom who just got killed in that Wal-Mart, who left her gun in her purse). As long as you follow the safety rules, are mentally competent, and demonstrate RESPONSIBILITY...here's a gun. Have fun.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            I would agree with that. I'm pro-gun. I'm also fond of enforcing the actual laws, and keeping idiots from guns (like the mom who just got killed in that Wal-Mart, who left her gun in her purse). As long as you follow the safety rules, are mentally competent, and demonstrate RESPONSIBILITY...here's a gun. Have fun.
            How do you know she was an idiot and how would you determine that before she bought a gun?
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              How do you know she was an idiot and how would you determine that before she bought a gun?
              She's an idiot because she left a loaded gun within reach of a 2 year old child. All the nopes, IMO.

I admit, one cannot determine that at the time of purchase. She does give gun-owners a very bad name, though.

Comment

Those guns were perfectly legal.

Virginia Tech...

Law enforcement officials found a purchase receipt for one of the guns used in the assault among Cho's belongings.[202] The shooter waited one month after buying a Walther P22 pistol before he bought a second pistol, a Glock 19.[3]:24 Cho used a 15-round magazine in the Glock and a 10-round magazine in the Walther. The serial numbers on the weapons were filed off, but the ATF National Laboratory was able to reveal them and performed a firearms trace.[87]

The sale of firearms by licensed dealers in Virginia is restricted to residents who successfully pass a background check;[203] legal permanent resident aliens may purchase firearms.[204] At the time of the shooting, Virginia law also limited purchases of handguns to one every 30 days.[203] That limit was repealed on April 3, 2013.[205] Federal law requires a criminal background check for handgun purchases from licensed firearms dealers, and Virginia checks other databases in addition to the federally mandated NICS. A 1968 federal law passed in response to the assassinations of Robert F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King, Jr.[136] also prohibits those "adjudicated as a mental defective" from buying guns. This exclusion applied to Cho after a Virginia court declared him to be a danger to himself in late 2005 and sent him for psychiatric treatment.[15][206]:71 Because of gaps between federal and Virginia state laws, the state did not report Cho's legal status to the NICS.[15]
                Sandy Hook...

Shortly after 9:35 am, using his mother's Bushmaster XM15-E2S rifle,[29][30][31] Lanza shot his way through a glass panel next to the locked front entrance doors of the school.[32][33][34] He was wearing black clothing, yellow earplugs, sunglasses,[35] an olive green utility vest, and was carrying magazines for the rifle.[36]
                Or did she buy an illegal weapon?

(Source: Wikipedia. If you really want I'll find other sources..)

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  She was actually very smart, just not responsible with her gun.

Comment

I was referencing this post in your stance on fully automatic weapons.

As for the legality of the weapons used in your mass-shooting quotes, one case a person broke the law (taking his mother's gun) or the laws weren't being followed (Cho's case).

Please try again. Guns are not the problem. The people are. And no matter how many laws you throw out there, there will still be a gun problem, because of people. Those people may be criminals, they may not properly follow the procedures, whatever. Banning guns/"more" gun control won't matter. Education and safety should be top priority. Period.

Comment

She was actually very smart, just not responsible with her gun.
                      And that latter part makes her an idiot in my eyes. It's a lethal weapon. Be responsible with it. Be smart with it. She wasn't. I feel very bad that she lost her life, don't get me wrong, but I still condemn her for her stupidity in her actions.

Comment

I was referencing this post in your stance on fully automatic weapons.

As for the legality of the weapons used in your mass-shooting quotes, one case a person broke the law (taking his mother's gun) or the laws weren't being followed (Cho's case).

Please try again. Guns are not the problem. The people are. And no matter how many laws you throw out there, there will still be a gun problem, because of people. Those people may be criminals, they may not properly follow the procedures, whatever. Banning guns/"more" gun control won't matter. Education and safety should be top priority. Period.
                        The laws were followed, but there was a gap in the law that allowed Cho to get his gun.

In Sandy Hook, seeing as how the mother had four bullets in her head, it was likely his gun thanks to inheritance...

Maybe we should tighten laws so insane people like Jared Loughner aren't allowed to buy one and then kill six people and wound 13 more...

Comment

The laws were followed, but there was a gap in the law that allowed Cho to get his gun.

In Sandy Hook, seeing as how the mother had four bullets in her head, it was likely his gun thanks to inheritance...

Maybe we should tighten laws so insane people like Jared Loughner aren't allowed to buy one and then kill six people and wound 13 more...
                          How about we enforce the laws we have? If that means "tightening" the laws we have, so be it.

I'm just against more laws and/or banning guns.

Comment

How about we enforce the laws we have? If that means "tightening" the laws we have, so be it.

I'm just against more laws and/or banning guns.
                            We aren't going to ban guns. Yes, if I were the Grand Emperor we would be like most of Europe and not have any guns, but that horse left the barn in 1787. Short of that, we can and should take steps to make sure guns aren't obtained by the clinically insane, like Cho and Loughner. Sorry, but that will mean "new laws" because the ones we have on the books obviously aren't working. And even if that law had worked, they could have just gone to a gun show and bought one there - where no background check is required.

Maybe we're approaching this all wrong. The RWNJ are convinced that an adidas soccer shirt that was found was actually a prayer rug left behind by an ISIS fighter. OH MY GOD! ISIS IS HERE!!!! And they're buying weapons at gun shows throughout the country because there are no background checks required! We have to close that loophole in the name of national defense! Why, you must hate America if you aren't for keeping guns away from terrorists!

Comment

We aren't going to ban guns. Yes, if I were the Grand Emperor we would be like most of Europe and not have any guns, ...
                              There would still be guns. But only the criminals would have them.

The rest of your post....uh, what the hell are you babbling about? Honestly? No idea what you're saying (in reference to some soccer shirt, etc).

Comment

I DO think that the "anti-gun" and "pro-gun" (the sane ones) are closer than each other thinks in views on guns and laws, etc. It's a matter of fine-tuning.

Comment

Working...
                                X