Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice Planet #8: You People Make Me Sick.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Greeks and Romans were lousy philanthropists.
    They were, however, fantastic full-on rapists.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Re: Nice Planet #8: You People Make Me Sick.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      They were, however, fantastic full-on rapists.
      They would bend over backwards to welcome you, though.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
        But the converse also could be true. I could be a robber baron and screw everyone. If I don't believe in an afterlife, then I get away with it.
        And there are also robber barons that use religion as a justification for their actions, much as there decent people that are atheists.

Of course, you could believe in karma and different form of afterlife as well.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          And there are also robber barons that use religion as a justification for their actions, much as there decent people that are atheists.

Of course, you could believe in karma and different form of afterlife as well.
          As far as that sh* goes....I believe it's between the self and their idol (if applicable). Me and Big Man have a deal. Don't care what others think. It's between me and Him.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            As far as that sh* goes....I believe it's between the self and their idol (if applicable). Me and Big Man have a deal. Don't care what others think. It's between me and Him.
            I'm somewhat the same, though I'm more agnostic than anything. Religion is a personal thing.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
              But the converse also could be true. I could be a robber baron and screw everyone. If I don't believe in an afterlife, then I get away with it.
              Most robber barons were Christian.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                I know it wont hold up, but that doesnt make it any less deplorable or ridiculous that it passed. Who are these people?

Yup. Even when it gets thrown out, it doesn't change the fact that these morons thought it was a good idea in the first place. When will the tea baggers get over the whole gay hating and immigrant hating bull ****? Seriously, if you support this party you should have your head examined.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  Religion is a personal thing.
                  Which is a major change in our historical development. For several centuries in this country, organized religion was also a social construct: it was one of the ways for everyone in town to get together once a week and check in on everyone else, find out how they are doing, what's up, etc. When we lived in a small town in a rural area, we spent as much time each week at coffee and donuts as we did in the formal service itself.

Scientific American ran a fantastic article back in the late 1980s or early 1990s about the rise of Solidarity in Poland and how important it was as a social vehicle. There were no social vehicles on that scale that facilitated self-organization of society: either you had family (narrow) or state (way too broad). Something that extended further than the family yet had enough elements in common for a wider group yet enough special case involvement to make it a select group was a gaping void waiting to be filled.

That article also explained why totalitarian regimes are so hostile to organized religion: they want everyone to be subservient to the state, and any social structure that provides an alternative outlet must be crushed to eliminate any possibility of dissent.
                  Last edited by FreshFish; 12-12-2014, 07:29 AM.
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                    Seriously, if you support this party you should have your head examined.
                    If you support either party! Both have been hijacked by special interests, neither cares for the common good in the slightest.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      If you support either party! Both have been hijacked by special interests, neither cares for the common good in the slightest.
                      BSABSVR. We get it already.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        Funny how fundies never seem to have read Matthew 19:24.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          It was one of the very few sociology articles I've ever read that actually had a scientific basis.
                          Then you're not well read in sociology. Pretty much everything in sociologists as widely diverse as Durkheim, Weber, G. H. Mead, C. Wright Mills, Robert K. Merton, Otto Neurath, etc is rigorously scientific.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            Also, most ISIS terrorists are Muslim. (examples of the name of a religion used as a socially acceptable networking tool to further an agenda)
                            Last edited by geezer; 12-10-2014, 01:02 PM.
                            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              Also, most ISIS terrorists are Muslim. (examples of the name of a religion used as a socially acceptable networking tool to further an agenda)

Most?

Don't they kill or subjugate everyone else including other sects of Muslims?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Then you're not well read in sociology. Pretty much everything in sociologists as widely diverse as Durkheim, Weber, G. H. Mead, C. Wright Mills, Robert K. Merton, Otto Neurath, etc is rigorously scientific.
                                Must spread rep...

Thinking the same thing. FF's post said much more about the writer than the field
                                In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                                I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Working...
                                X