Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice Planet #8: You People Make Me Sick.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet #8: You People Make Me Sick.

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Dont Be Gay in Michigan

Im no legal expert but I cant see how this will hold up.
    Still has to pass the state Senate (I'm guessing it narrowly will, given the Republican majority), but with Gov. Snyder no longer needing to pander to West Michigan theocons to get his second term, I would hope he lives up to his self-styled "tough nerd" billing, vetoes this stupidity, and tells Jase Bolger to get his *ing shinebox and stop wasting his time with these kinds of bills.

Even if Snyder proves that he really is a social conservative after all by signing this, it will eventually be shot down by the courts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Dont Be Gay in Michigan

Im no legal expert but I cant see how this will hold up.
      I know the Michigan football program is bad, but passing this law just to enforce Leviticus 11:7 is a bit harsh.

"Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother, John, for planting different crops side by side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads?"
      - The West Wing "The Midterms"
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I know it wont hold up, but that doesnt make it any less deplorable or ridiculous that it passed. Who are these people?
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Still has to pass the state Senate (I'm guessing it narrowly will, given the Republican majority), but with Gov. Snyder no longer needing to pander to West Michigan theocons to get his second term, I would hope he lives up to his self-styled "tough nerd" billing, vetoes this stupidity, and tells Jase Bolger to get his *ing shinebox and stop wasting his time with these kinds of bills.

Even if Snyder proves that he really is a social conservative after all by signing this, it will eventually be shot down by the courts.

This goes beyond even that imo.

What the ef is wrong with these clowns?

Imagine if heaven and hell as outlined in the bible and other folklore/religions are real. Won't these fvcks be surprised at their accommodations...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            Imagine if heaven and hell as outlined in the bible and other folklore/religions are real. Won't these fvcks be surprised at their accommodations...
            for some reason I am reminded of the story about a pleasant and friendly and amiable man who dies and goes to heaven at age 75 and gets a sexy hot 25-year old wife. It is his heaven and her hell at the same time....or something like that.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              for some reason I am reminded of the story about a pleasant and friendly and amiable man who dies and goes to heaven at age 75 and gets a sexy hot 25-year old wife. It is his heaven and her hell at the same time....or something like that.
              Night Gallery did a piece like this with John Astin.

But, without a final judgment, and the consequences of Hell, does that lessen the "do goodiness" while we're alive?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

But, without a final judgment, and the consequences of Hell, does that lessen the "do goodiness" while we're alive?
                Greeks and Romans were lousy philanthropists.

Comment

It hasn't lessened mine. Many/most people are able to be good people without the threat of eternal dam-nation looming over their mortal heads.
                  Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  Greeks and Romans were lousy philanthropists.
                  Hades had its split between an eternal paradise, a purgatory-like area, and a its own version of hell.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    No.

But that kind of bias against atheists and those of other religions who don't believe in hell is noted.

Comment

What real political correctness looks like.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

This ranks with Pascals' Wager in "you know you're scraping the bottom of the barrel when..."

People who only do good things for fear of punishment are called sociopaths, not believers.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I don't think so. I'm sure you've known at least a few people over the years who show up to church on Sunday, but don't otherwise put in even a half-arsed effort to live up to the teachings and doctrine.

"Do goodiness" depends far more upon how you were raised, than it does which religious tradition (or lack thereof) you were raised in.

Comment

I don't think so. I'm sure you've known at least a few people over the years who show up to church on Sunday, but don't otherwise put in even a half-arsed effort to live up to the teachings and doctrine.

"Do goodiness" depends far more upon how you were raised, than it does which religious tradition (or lack thereof) you were raised in.
                            In my experience, they show up to church on Sunday, post cute memes to Facebook announcing their faith, but don't really do anything to prove it.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              This ranks with Pascals' Wager in "you know you're scraping the bottom of the barrel when..."

People who only do good things for fear of punishment are called sociopaths, not believers.
                              But the converse also could be true. I could be a robber baron and screw everyone. If I don't believe in an afterlife, then I get away with it.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Me and the Big Man have our deal. I do what I can to be a good person, and He lets me in. I am not fond of organized churches. I am fond of the Golden Rule, the Ten Commandments, and just being an all-around decent person.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X