Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice Planet #8: You People Make Me Sick.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigmrg74
    replied
    Re: Nice Planet #8: You People Make Me Sick.

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Oh, and BTW, I like my privacy too. Unfortunately, the government listens to my phone calls and reads my emails anyway.

Hi Agent Mike!
    You be nice to Agent Mike, he's gotta read through all of the Hockey East threads over on the D1 side. The poor bastard isn't paid enough to do that.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Oh, and BTW, I like my privacy too. Unfortunately, the government listens to my phone calls and reads my emails anyway.

Hi Agent Mike!
    Not to mention all of those government registries for taxes, Social Security, drivers licenses, vehicles, property...

Edit: For my job as an airport worker I had to submit to a full background check including fingerprints and a US Customs background check with 10 years of work and residence history. That's just to move rubber dogs*t out of Hong Kong. To buy a gun I don't even have to do the background check.
    Last edited by Jimjamesak; 01-04-2015, 01:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I like my friggin' privacy. No offense, but that's the way I feel.

Hi Agent Mike!

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Right now you can be on the terrorist watch list and still legally buy a gun.
    There are a lot of problems with gun sales that need to be solved. The lack of background checks at gun shows and for private sales, strikes me as #1. Even if it's purely symbolic and difficult to enforce, that doesn't mean we have to tacitly approve of the current state of things.

I am not necessarily opposed to registration, a ban on all sales that do not involve a "transfer of title" similar to buying a car, and criminal liability for gun owners in cases where a gun registered to a particular owner is used in the commission of a crime, and it is determined that the owner was negligent in storing/trigger locking/otherwise taking reasonable precautions to ensure that their weapon could not be used by someone other than themselves. I don't view it as a privacy issue. However, I also do not feel that such laws will do much to prevent crimes in which guns are involved.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    "All Politicians are Corrupt"
    You trying to say that there might be one honest one somewhere that the Political Machine hasn't gotten to yet??

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    And that would be bad because?
    Because in a compromise, your side gets something, and then the other side gets something.

And we wonder why nothing gets done. Don't overreach.

Closing the loophole makes a lot of common sense. A registry seems intrusive and not really sure how it would help.

I don't actually believe that closing the loophole is a slippery slope to a registry. It was a strawman trope. A joke...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Right now you can be on the terrorist watch list and still legally buy a gun.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

You know, the irony of this argle-bargle is that I just finished reading a book The 15 Biggest Lies in Politics. It's from the Clinton era, but still rings somewhat true. Among the lies presented are, "The Abortion Debate Matters", "Immigration Hurts America", "All Politicians are Corrupt", "The Environment - it's Mother Earth or Mother Lode", "Republicans Believe in Smaller Government"/"Democrats are Compassionate", and "Gun Control Reduces Crime".

Aren't wedge issues great?

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I've never asked for guns to be banned. Ever. Don't put words in my mouth that were never ****ing uttered.
    Yes, we want common sense laws, like closing the gun show loophole. Why should just ANYONE be able to go to a gun show and buy a gun? Convicted felon? Go to a gun show. Clinically insane nutjob? Go to a gun show. No background check required at all in 33 states. That's a pretty big freaking loophole, no?
    OK, that is fair. I'll lay off the hyperbole if you will.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Slippery slope to a national registry though...

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    I agree with the gunshow loophole. I am fully against a registry, however. Thank you for answering in an honest manner.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Yes, we want common sense laws, like closing the gun show loophole. Why should just ANYONE be able to go to a gun show and buy a gun? Convicted felon? Go to a gun show. Clinically insane nutjob? Go to a gun show. No background check required at all in 33 states. That's a pretty big freaking loophole, no?
    I agree 100%.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Would it be fair to say that you are of the crowd that wants more laws regarding guns? I am asking honestly, asking for clarification.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X