Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chess

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Well, there you go, everybody was right.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

    Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

    Comment


    • #62
      Re: Chess

      I wonder if you're allowed to sauce up during a game in a big event like this. I do know there are doping regulations and both players have been tested at least once during the match (after game 7 or 8 maybe?), but I don't know what's on the banned list. Doping in chess sounds rather comical on its face, but if it can be widespread in something like snooker...some of the substances used there could certainly pay dividends in a game like chess.
      I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

      Comment


      • #63
        Re: Chess

        Originally posted by XYZ View Post
        I wonder if you're allowed to sauce up during a game in a big event like this. I do know there are doping regulations and both players have been tested at least once during the match (after game 7 or 8 maybe?), but I don't know what's on the banned list. Doping in chess sounds rather comical on its face, but if it can be widespread in something like snooker...some of the substances used there could certainly pay dividends in a game like chess.
        I thought that the biggest concern was miniaturized communications devices? a team of analysts working with the contestant trying out moves on a computer simulation and reporting back?
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

        "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

        "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

        "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

        Comment


        • #64
          Re: Chess

          Carlsen in good position, but could have time pressure (44 minutes for 17 moves).
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

          Comment


          • #65
            Re: Chess

            Houdini has the last three white moves 23-25 as suboptimal. Commentators saying position is very complex and Carlsen's time issue (30 mins for 15 moves) could be significant.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: Chess

              Looks like a win for Carlsen, with P-h4 the winning move.

              Anand had "sacrificed" a rook for a bishop hoping to develop a passed pawn on the queen side but it didn't work.


              EDIT: match over, Carlsen wins 6.5 - 4.5
              Last edited by FreshFish; 11-23-2014, 11:14 AM.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

              "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

              "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

              "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

              Comment


              • #67
                Re: Chess

                Huge annual tournament is coming up from Jan 9-25 and it's a completely loaded field this year. If I had to guess I'd say this might be the official big coming out party for Caruana. The guy is a complete freakshow.

                Forgot if I posted this earlier in the thread but this article chronicles his first bout of dominance. If he winds it up and stomps Tata in anywhere near similar fashion it would be a statement of huge proportions.

                All matches are viewable online and if it's like past years you can toggle between them any time you wish.
                I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: Chess

                  Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                  this article chronicles his first bout of dominance.
                  Great article.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Re: Chess

                    Two days of Tata in the books...and Caruana is the only player to have won twice. To be fair, he hasn't faced any of the true heavyweights yet (Carlsen-Giri-MVL-Aronian) but his two wins have him atop the standings regardless. To be doubly fair, everyone at this level is a heavyweight but a win with black at this level is quite the achievement, period.

                    Pair of fairly pedestrian draws for Carlsen thus far, including one against Giri on day one. Giri also drew with Aronian on day two . Things get a bit tougher for Caruana later today as he plays black against Giri. Meanwhile Carlsen will also play black, and he draws world #15 Radoslaw Wojtaszek.

                    Only five wins total through the first two days and the only player who is pointless is women's world champion and overall world #70 Yifan Hou. Which always makes me wonder why the rankings are so dominated by men. I know far more men play the game but one would think that enough women play that a few world class savants would be floating around. Hmph, ah well, I'm sure this has been covered extensively over the years somewhere. Perhaps I shall try to find out where.
                    Last edited by XYZ; 01-12-2015, 01:01 AM.
                    I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Re: Chess

                      Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                      Which always makes me wonder why the rankings are so dominated by men. I know far more men play the game but one would think that enough women play that a few world class savants would be floating around. Hmph, ah well, I'm sure this has been covered extensively over the years somewhere. Perhaps I shall try to find out where.
                      This study argues that it's overhwelmingly (96%) a statistical artifact of participation rates. One study, small sample, etc caveats.

                      Here, we show that in chess, an intellectually demanding activity where men dominate at the top level, the difference in the performance of the best men and women is largely accounted for by the difference that would be expected, given the much greater number of men who participate. Despite the clear superiority of the top male players, there is, in reality, very little performance gap in favour of men for non-statistical theories to explain.
                      Note the title makes absolutely no sense.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 01-12-2015, 01:23 PM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        This study argues that it's overhwelmingly (96%) a statistical artifact of participation rates. One study, small sample, etc caveats.



                        Note the title makes absolutely no sense.
                        Is it that way with other "intellectual games" like Go or card games like poker?
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

                        Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Re: Chess

                          Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          Is it that way with other "intellectual games" like Go or card games like poker?
                          Go is insanely male-dominated, but it's also dominated by Japan, South Korea, and China, and women are treated like crap in those cultures.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Go is insanely male-dominated, but it's also dominated by Japan, South Korea, and China, and women are treated like crap in those cultures.
                            I just wonder because it's not something exclusive to chess. Competitive TCG's like Magic and Yugioh have a similar issue as does competitive video gaming. I'm curious where poker is at given its greater popularity in comparison to the others?
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

                            Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Re: Chess

                              Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              Competitive TCG's like Magic and Yugioh have a similar issue as does competitive video gaming. I'm curious where poker is at given its greater popularity in comparison to the others?
                              I'd ascribe all of those to even larger gender differences in participation.

                              The really interesting difference is in top tier science jobs. The percentage of female participation has been growing steadily for decades, but the very top positions and awards are still almost exclusively male. That may be latency (at the time when the people in those top slots were just entering the field there was still an enormous gender difference) or there may be career interruption effects from children, although the latter shouldn't affect Northern European cultures that don't have the enormous difference in gender norms that we do.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 01-12-2015, 06:39 PM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                I'd ascribe all of those to even larger gender differences in participation.
                                Actually, I'd argue that chess has larger difference in gender participation over the others. The others don't have as much of a history of a cultural bias towards males as chess (although the others do have it). Probably a similar problem with science research.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

                                Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X