Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New York Yankees: Order Has Been Restored To The Universe

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    slightly off topic... why hasn't Washburn been mentioned at all? He was pretty good in Seattle, although a massacre in Detroit.

And yes, go ahead and call me dumb, idiot, whatever you wish. This is me simply trying to get insight from the genius' that be. If me doing so can let you get your rocks off on the internet, so be it.
    I wouldn't touch Washburn. He started off hot when he got to Detroit but then blew up. He's lefty, sure, but I would want no part of him. Seattle is also a pretty good pitchers park to left field so that helped out Washburn.

I won't call you names here, I'll just say Washburn is a bad idea.

From the sounds of it, the pitcher that will be acquired will be someone who will start and be a #3 or #4 guy for the Yankees which... is pretty good still. Names being bandied about range from potentially awesome to potentially gutting to the farm system to obtain.

Examples: Zambrano (although it's said he won't waive his NTC right now), Josh Johnson from Florida (farm system gutting move), Brian Bannister from KC (Melky or Gardner straight up?), Javy Vazquez from Atlanta (enjoy the flashbacks there kids - he'd still be a good pickup), Ricky Nolasco from Florida (this could be the Ninja-style pickup he'll be good).
    R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
      Jesus Christ.
      cant. i hear he plays SS.

wouldnt surprise me if they go for bannister. they tried to get him at the deadline but balked at KC's ask price of $650k!
      “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
      Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
      Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
      National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
        Examples: Zambrano (although it's said he won't waive his NTC right now), Josh Johnson from Florida (farm system gutting move), Brian Bannister from KC (Melky or Gardner straight up?), Javy Vazquez from Atlanta (enjoy the flashbacks there kids - he'd still be a good pickup), Ricky Nolasco from Florida (this could be the Ninja-style pickup he'll be good).
        If we're talking about assigning numbers to pitchers, Zambrano would be your #2, Johnson your #2, Bannister your #5 or even your long man...Vazquez would be your #2 also. Nolasco probably your #4 but also probably a #5.
        Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
          If we're talking about assigning numbers to pitchers, Zambrano would be your #2, Johnson your #2, Bannister your #5 or even your long man...Vazquez would be your #2 also. Nolasco probably your #4 but also probably a #5.
          I agree there, but I think we all know that Burnett will be the #2 in name, at least to start the year. Zambrano would change that numbering immediately. Johnson... probably not, but he'd certainly be better.

The one thing helping the Yankees as far as Johnson goes is that he said he's not signing a long-term deal before the end of the season... Of course if the Yankees are the ones offering the money and not the Marlins, that probably changes things.

Comment

Tyler Kepner's got the straight dope.

Javier Vazquez traded to Yanks for Melky Cabrera, Mike Dunn and a prospect. Yanks also get LH reliever Boone Logan. Tremendous deal for NYY.
            Cashman's a ninja.

EDIT: More from T-Kep. Truth to power.

Since Yanks traded Vazquez after 2004 ALCS, he has over 1000 innings and over 1000 strikeouts. Only other pitcher to do it: Johan Santana. Yanks traded Nick Johnson for Vazquez, who gave up grand slam to Damon in '04 ALCS. Now Damon's gone, and Nick and Javy are back. Wild.
            Last edited by Red Cloud; 12-22-2009, 08:54 AM.
            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

I hope the Yanks are getting the 2.93 ERA version of Javy and not the 4.91 version they had last time.

My only other thought is who plays left now? Gardner. Ick. I hope Cash isn't done yet.
              My Four Favorite teams:
              RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
              Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                My only other thought is who plays left now? Gardner. Ick. I hope Cash isn't done yet.
                Well, that's the question, and the answer, really, is one of Matt Holliday, Jason Bay, Mark DeRosa, Jermaine Dye, Marlon Byrd, Randy Winn, Rick Ankiel, or Johnny Damon.

Word coming down now that Ca$hmoney is looking to move either Mitre or Gaudin. I'd prefer to keep Gaudin but he probably has more value on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                  I hope the Yanks are getting the 2.93 ERA version of Javy and not the 4.91 version they had last time.

There's another signing to come I'm sure. For now, you'll hear Cashman say, "I am comfortable with Brett Gardner as my left fielder."

And the version you saw last here in New York... Well he was hurt and guess who refused to give him a break? Didn't think I'd let that go now would you?

Fact of the matter here is this is a heist. Vazquez's ERA will come up pitching in the AL East, but he struck out 238 guys last year and has pitched over 200 innings every season save for one where he threw 198. He's a horse, he'll start a ton of games and he strikes out tons of guys. That's awesome.

Comment

Question is, is THIS Cashman's now-becoming-a-tradition uber-ninja move of the offseason, or is that yet to come? Because this seems even more ninja than the Granderson deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                      Question is, is THIS Cashman's now-becoming-a-tradition uber-ninja move of the offseason, or is that yet to come? Because this seems even more ninja than the Granderson deal.
                      Giving up IPK and A-Jax for a great cost-controlled-ish starting centerfielder is pretty awesome.

Giving up next to nothing to get a guy who's been a strikeout dominator to help fill out the rotation is equally fantastic.

The uber-ninja move comes when Matt Holliday is patrolling left field.

Comment

Here is what I see as the starting pitching.

1 CC
                        2 AJ
                        3 Pettitte
                        4 Vasquez
                        5 Joba

Hughes stays in bullpen as he is on an innings limit next season and Joba is not.
                        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Vasquez is probably your second best pitcher. He's at worst your third best pitcher.
                          Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                            And the version you saw last here in New York... Well he was hurt and guess who refused to give him a break? Didn't think I'd let that go now would you?

Fact of the matter here is this is a heist. Vazquez's ERA will come up pitching in the AL East, but he struck out 238 guys last year and has pitched over 200 innings every season save for one where he threw 198. He's a horse, he'll start a ton of games and he strikes out tons of guys. That's awesome.
                            Oh, that's right it was all someone else's fault why he sucked in NY! I keep forgetting that.

Like I said I hope he is better this time around but I am not getting my hopes up. This reminds me of those investment commercials where they say "Past performance is not indicative of future performance".

With that being said I like the trade. Melky was very expendable and since the Yanks are so insistent on babying Hughes and Joba (heck, we don't even know if they can start on a regular basis over a full season) at least we have a inning eater. Bottom line is the team is better today than yesterday. Question remains, and it depends upon which Javy shows up, how much better are the Yanks today.
                            My Four Favorite teams:

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                              Vasquez is probably your second best pitcher. He's at worst your third best pitcher.
                              Is this suppose to make me feel better or worse.
                              My Four Favorite teams:

Comment

How close is it to the time when Damon tells Boras he wants to be a Yankee and I'll do my own negotiating?
                                DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Working...
                                X