Stupid Cell Phone-Related Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Cell Phone-Related Question

I've had an iPhone 4S for a while now - for so long that I can't remember what the process was like when I upgraded to it from my previous phone. So... how do I go about making sure all my stuff (I guess primarily I mean pictures, but also settings, app organization, etc.) gets ported over to the new phone? Assume I'm not syncing pictures to iCloud, because F that S in a post-Fappening world. Can I still accomplish this if I pre-order the new phone directly from Apple? Do I need to go to a brick-and-mortar AT&T store (has to be AT&T because I'm grandfathered into an unlimited data plan) and do it there?

Along similar lines: trading my old phone into AT&T seems to be the way to get the most for it, they're saying $200 as compared to $110 or so through other places, but of course that's AT&T credit and not cash like if I sold it on Gazelle or something. Does anyone know when that credit comes through? Is it at the time of trade-in, meaning I can put it toward the cost of the new phone, or not until afterward?

Edited to add: I know I could go to an AT&T store and ask them this stuff, but I would assume they will steer me to making a store purchase even if I don't necessarily have to.
    Last edited by jmh; 09-15-2014, 09:30 AM.
    Cornell University Men's Hockey
    NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
    Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Re: Stupid Cell Phone-Related Question

Originally posted by jmh View Post
    I've had an iPhone 4S for a while now - for so long that I can't remember what the process was like when I upgraded to it from my previous phone. So... how do I go about making sure all my stuff (I guess primarily I mean pictures, but also settings, app organization, etc.) gets ported over to the new phone? Assume I'm not syncing pictures to iCloud, because F that S in a post-Fappening world. Can I still accomplish this if I pre-order the new phone directly from Apple? Do I need to go to a brick-and-mortar AT&T store (has to be AT&T because I'm grandfathered into an unlimited data plan) and do it there?

Along similar lines: trading my old phone into AT&T seems to be the way to get the most for it, they're saying $200 as compared to $110 or so through other places, but of course that's AT&T credit and not cash like if I sold it on Gazelle or something. Does anyone know when that credit comes through? Is it at the time of trade-in, meaning I can put it toward the cost of the new phone, or not until afterward?

Edited to add: I know I could go to an AT&T store and ask them this stuff, but I would assume they will steer me to making a store purchase even if I don't necessarily have to.
    You can backup all of your data onto your computer using iTunes without submitting the info to the cloud. I don't have the instructions in front of me, but apple.com should have the instructions you need.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Just upgraded from an iPhone to an HTC One that I bought through the AT&T website. The store personnel have all been very accommodating with any questions, concerns, or problems.
      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
        Just upgraded from an iPhone to anything else.
        fyp

Comment

I'm gonna piggyback onto this thread. Just upgraded to a 5s from a 3gs. I don't want to go through the whole story, but basically my 3gs is deactiviated so it's essentially a mini-mini iPad (aka I can surf the web and iMessage, not text or call) and my 5s is here, but the case isn't coming until Friday. Anyone know how to MacGyver a case together? I didn't have a case for like two weeks when I got the 3gs but I feel like I was just extremely lucky with that and would rather not do it again, especially since the 5s actually cost money to upgrade to.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
            I'm gonna piggyback onto this thread. Just upgraded to a 5s from a 3gs. I don't want to go through the whole story, but basically my 3gs is deactiviated so it's essentially a mini-mini iPad (aka I can surf the web and iMessage, not text or call) and my 5s is here, but the case isn't coming until Friday. Anyone know how to MacGyver a case together? I didn't have a case for like two weeks when I got the 3gs but I feel like I was just extremely lucky with that and would rather not do it again, especially since the 5s actually cost money to upgrade to.
            I've dropped my 5S a couple times and nothing bad has happened to it. I don't use a protective case. The casing appears to be more sturdy on the 5S than they were back in the 3GS days.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I don't mean to be snarky, but couldn't you just, like, be extra-careful? It's only four days we're talking about here, not like I'm suggesting this as a permanent solution or anything.
              Cornell University Men's Hockey
              NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

That's not snarky at all, and is certainly option #1. However, I haven't had the best track record, AKA a couple months ago I managed to somehow shut the car door on my phone. Luckily the case I have flexed enough to not obliterate the phone, but that's the type of stuff that could potentially happen.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

It sounds like the MacGyvering you need is to keep the phone in any location that you are not in.
                  bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                  SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                  All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                  A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Anyone know how to MacGyver a case together?
                    If you still have the plastic that the phone came in, and a good razor knife and some duct tape, you might be able to put something together that way. Another option is to use duct tape, a razor knife, and an empty cereal box but that's a little trickier: you have to plan ahead to score the sides so that you can fold it up into a small custom-made box. Sort of like a cross, fold up four sides, fold the top over. A picture would make it really clear.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                    X