• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twitch Boy
    replied
    Re: Official Video Games Thread VIII: Titans are destined to fall

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    It doesn't sound like the guy was cheating, though. Knowing zero about this, is it possible that whatever timing methodology was used simply glitched the run time? It's 6 one-hundredths of a second FFS. Was that an eternity in gaming timing in 1982? (I know, I'm sure it's f-cking nanoseconds today.)
    The guy submitted a Polaroid of his 5.51 to Activision. They flew the guy out to recreate it for them, and whatever he did Activision must have found legitimate because they gave him credit in their magazines. (The developers themselves claim they were able to turn in a 5.54 during testing.)

Modern speedrunners can dissect the RAM, ROM, and output of the game frame by frame and manipulate their inputs to be absolutely perfect down to a single frame of animation (it's called a Tool Assisted Speedrun or TAS.) They have only been able to turn in a 5.57 playing as "perfectly" as the game can be played. No one knows how the 5.51 happened (system glitch, crappy Polaroid, "lifting" the cartridge to partially unseat the chip and mess up the program, etc. are all possibilities, plus the guy has a history of submitting questionable records.)

Furthermore, the developers admitted that the clock can only advance by .03 of a second per frame, so the speedrunning community's 5.57, Activision's claimed 5.54, and this guy's claimed 5.51 are all possible outputs on the clock. A 5.52 could be dismissed right away as impossible. (ETA: apparently there's video of a 5.61, so this theory has holes in it.)
    Last edited by Twitch Boy; 01-29-2018, 10:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    The 5.51 second world record run of Atari 2600 Dragster, which was acknowledged for 35 years and believed impossible by speedrunners, has been disqualified.

https://kotaku.com/infamous-atari-pl...&ICID=ref_fark
    It doesn't sound like the guy was cheating, though. Knowing zero about this, is it possible that whatever timing methodology was used simply glitched the run time? It's 6 one-hundredths of a second FFS. Was that an eternity in gaming timing in 1982? (I know, I'm sure it's f-cking nanoseconds today.)

Leave a comment:

• Twitch Boy
    replied

The 5.51 second world record run of Atari 2600 Dragster, which was acknowledged for 35 years and believed impossible by speedrunners, has been disqualified.

https://kotaku.com/infamous-atari-pl...&ICID=ref_fark

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

Final Fantasy 12: Zodiac Age coming to PC on the 1st of February

Leave a comment:

• Dude Love
    replied

I'm closing in on finishing Skyrim (I think I'm at level 87). Just want to get my last spell class to level 100 so I can get the bonus at the end. Need to milk this and NHL 18 long enough to keep me entertained until Secret of Mana comes out in a few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

Been getting back into Minecraft lately. Relaxing game where you make your own goals.

Leave a comment:

• Twitch Boy
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    I'm sure Big Pharma has an antidote:

https://wtop.com/health-fitness/2017...-game-playing/
    They do. It's called EA.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

I'm sure Big Pharma has an antidote:

https://wtop.com/health-fitness/2017...-game-playing/

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

Nexus mods is easy, if the game is supported. They have an installer.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    If you install mods on a game, the Steam Workshop is easier. That seems to be the big difference for me.
    Yeah Steam Workshop is far easier.

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

If you install mods on a game, the Steam Workshop is easier. That seems to be the big difference for me.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

GOG vs Steam

If the price is the same, is there any reason why I wouldn’t use GOG?

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

My pc went kaput in October. Finally bought a new one. Expect to get it next week. Got the green light (from wife) to get the dual Geforce 1080 video card setup.

So should be great for 4k gaming!

I did compromise on cpu and only get the i7, not the i9.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

Platinumed Demon Gaze 2. I never plat games, so its noteworthy to me.

Leave a comment:

• Twitch Boy
    replied

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Look up Hustler Magazine v Falwell.
    That's about right. And it's Trey and Matt who do stuff like this for sport.

Still, you'd think some suit in a Subway boardroom somewhere would have thrown a conniption to a lawyer. Ubisoft went there and they seem to have gotten away with it. That's chutzpah.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X