Official Video Games Thread VIII: Titans are destined to fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Berlin is awesome, I can give a lot of tips if you end up moving there. One of the best places I’ve ever lived
    I appreciate it. I live in Nürnberg but would love to hear more about Berlin as a resident vs a tourist.

Comment

• Re: Official Video Games Thread VIII: Titans are destined to fall

Game of the Year! http://www.stringanime.com/npc/index.html

Comment

As a semi competitive MTG player I’ve been playing the new Magic Arena in some of my spare time, mostly because it’s likely the future of the competitive realm of the game. I can see why it’s become popular, the flashy animations and the ease of access, but GD as regular player is there some frustrating stuff.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

After getting to know a few local livestreamers, I'm ramping up into competitive pinball.

Played my first tournament last night and I...didn't totally embarrass myself. Won two matches before I got bounced (3 strikes format, you play head-to-head against a randomly drawn player on a randomly drawn machine, lose and you get a strike, 3 strikes and you're out, last player standing wins.) All my losses were competitive too.
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Ok, I'm curious. So how does that work? Basically you get one game, three balls per round? How long does a game take for just one of the players?
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Ok, I'm curious. So how does that work? Basically you get one game, three balls per round? How long does a game take for just one of the players?
              One game head to head, three balls per round (there are a few pins out there that work differently, but pretty unlikely you'll see one.)

There are all kinds of tournament formats - pingolf (reach target score in X number of balls, that's your score for the hole,) groups of 4 scoring 4-2-1-0 across several games, straight brackets, however people feel like running it.

As for ball length, pinball happens - you can have two stinkers and then a record-shattering third ball that lasts 15 minutes. Lots of the high level tournaments are beginning to livestream and they're insane to watch. Check out PAPA or IFPA tournaments.
              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Been immersed in X-Plane 11 lately. Need to pickup a joystick and throttle at some point to make controls better.

Keyboard/xbox controller arent a great setup.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Anybody have experience with acquiring gaming PC's using a pre-build company? I know I could do it cheaper on my own, etc, but I really want nothing to do with cable management, and it's worth the extra cost for me to have the peace of mind.

Comment

I stopped believing the cheaper to build yourself nonsense after I priced everything out.

I’d you don’t want to run windows or office, yeah, cheaper. But when you start bundling things, prebuilt are a better deal. And come with warranties.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                      Anybody have experience with acquiring gaming PC's using a pre-build company? I know I could do it cheaper on my own, etc, but I really want nothing to do with cable management, and it's worth the extra cost for me to have the peace of mind.
                      Stay clear of cyberpower and ibuypower. Other than that, haven't heard anything good or bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        I stopped believing the cheaper to build yourself nonsense after I priced everything out.

I’d you don’t want to run windows or office, yeah, cheaper. But when you start bundling things, prebuilt are a better deal. And come with warranties.
                        Prebuilts were cheaper during the video card bubble because they could still get them wholesale. Now that video cards are coming back to earth, building your own is becoming more worthwhile again.

And the trade off for those warranties is the pre-installed bloatware.

Comment

Fair enough. I haven’t priced one out in like three or four years.

Regarding bloatware, not too difficult to reformat and reinstall.
                          Code:

Comment

I'm intrigued by NZXT's BLD service. Pay MSRP on all components, and only $99 fee for putting it together. Quite a few positive reviews from the bigger PC YouTube channels too. Also minimal bloatware installed upon delivery, usually just hardware related tools it seems.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                              I did this research just a year ago for my new pc. I decided to go with Dell/Alienware. I get custom build and a company ive heard of. It was worth the premium to me.

I ended up with intel i7 chip and dual 1080 gpus. Only bloat is tools related to lighting and diagnostics.
                              Last edited by JF_Gophers; 02-11-2019, 12:55 PM.
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Pulled the trigger on a BLD rig yesterday.

General specs:

Intel 8700K (3.7 GHz, 6 cores/12 threads)
                                MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8g
                                MSI MPG z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard
                                16GB G.skill tridentZ, 3200 MHz
                                2 SSD's (250GB EVO 860 (boot), 500GB EVO 970)
                                4TB Seagate Barracuda
                                NZXT Kraken x62 radiator
                                NZXT h700i case

Should be a fun toy.

Comment

Working...
                                X