This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official Video Games Thread VIII: Titans are destined to fall

Ran into that on my second play last night. Attributed the first couple to this being my first multi-player Battlefield experience.

Then, being sniped through a sand pile, with the next death being a wall that was clipping and was one way (to me it appeared like a solid wall I was backed against, to everyone else behind me, I was standing in the open).

If I do get it, it will be for the single player game. I don't play too often, so being part of a team makes mutli-player difficult. Even my friends that do play the same games as I, play at different times than I.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
      Ran into that on my second play last night. Attributed the first couple to this being my first multi-player Battlefield experience.

Then, being sniped through a sand pile, with the next death being a wall that was clipping and was one way (to me it appeared like a solid wall I was backed against, to everyone else behind me, I was standing in the open).

If I do get it, it will be for the single player game. I don't play too often, so being part of a team makes mutli-player difficult. Even my friends that do play the same games as I, play at different times than I.
      I have played a few more games but not much improvement. I watched others play on Twitch to try to get pointers but it seems to be all luck. If you see the enemy first you have a chance. If he sees you you'll be respawning shortly.

I had a sweet spot in the back of a gun truck with British soldiers respawning right next to me. Killed a couple and then the driver took us somewhere else. Aggravating. I did figure out an easy way to get points, if not kills. Playing as the Ottomans you respawn in the western-most zone and run southeast behind the sand dunes and capture the objective in the south (Edward?). I took it three times in one game and got promoted.

If you plan to just buy for single player, be aware that you'll only get a vanilla copy. As I understand it, the French, Russian, A-H and American militaries are all extra, as are maps like Verdun.

Comment

Put my pre-order in for Forza Horizon 3. Early access is the 23rd of this month and the full release is the 27th.
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          ... If you plan to just buy for single player, be aware that you'll only get a vanilla copy. As I understand it, the French, Russian, A-H and American militaries are all extra, as are maps like Verdun.
          I was getting better on the third night I played. Found a sweet sniper spot at the south outpost "E" (what a great spot, found that one just before your reply) that helped me get a few quick kills. I had thought about pre-ordering the early enlisters option, but the more I read about it, maybe I'll just put this game on the back burner and not worry about getting it right away. Especially when you said, and I also read, that some key parts are DLC.

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
          Put my pre-order in for Forza Horizon 3. Early access is the 23rd of this month and the full release is the 27th.
          This one looks good.

Not sure if I should get NHL17. A LOT of the reviews are calling it NHL 16 Roster Update. Which is funny because 16 was hailed as just a roster update to 15. Has EA gone from a two year cycle to a three year cycle?

Not sure how the new NASCAR Heat game is going to be either. I haven't seen much about it other than directly from their website.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Put about 24 hours in to Dragon Quest 7 (3DS) this weekend. So good!

The game doesn't even start till about 16 hours in. That's how long of an rpg it is.
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Welp, looks like I'm (possibly) justified in keeping my wallet closed for NHL and NASCAR.

The Reddit forums are absolutely ablaze with issues with NHL17, gameplay problems abound, functionality broken, but hey they have new and better HUT cards you can buy!!! One of their most popular features, EASHL, is broken where if you change your team's jersey to a "stock" jersey (any of the real world teams jerseys available in the game) you and your teammates get locked out of the EASHL mode and are unable to ever get in the game mode (currently). Not even to leave that team and start a new EASHL team.

NASCAR Heat is taking a beating too. Apparently individual race tracks are locked behind completing short seasons, career is terrible, "basic" features available from past games (one set of alternate paint schemes) are paid DLC. Review say "It's the best NASCAR game in a decade, but not at this price." (EA gave up in 2009, their last good version was 2005; Eutechnyx took a hack at it in 2013, 2014, and 2015.)

Guess I'll just wait for them to go on sale, or forget about them entirely.
              Last edited by aparch; 09-20-2016, 04:18 PM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Just thinking... Was 2004-2005 the Golden Era for EA Sports? MVP Baseball in it's prime. Madden felt like a must have game versus the later "Roster Update" editions. NHL series was amazing gameplay that was built on the 2004 version. NCAA college football was as big as Madden.

Oh, right. Thanks was when 2K Games was formed and actually caused EA to give a sh** about keeping their fans.

Now they just throw burlap sacks with dollar signs painted on them to monopolize licensing deals and then not care about the games.

"We're the only one making that game. You *have* to buy ours."

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  but hey they have new and better HUT cards you can buy!!!
                  Now is where I mention one of my YouTube guilty pleasures is watching people pull a high-tier card in Ultimate Team and lose their minds.
                  Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    Just thinking... Was 2004-2005 the Golden Era for EA Sports? MVP Baseball in it's prime. Madden felt like a must have game versus the later "Roster Update" editions. NHL series was amazing gameplay that was built on the 2004 version. NCAA college football was as big as Madden.

Oh, right. Thanks was when 2K Games was formed and actually caused EA to give a sh** about keeping their fans.

Now they just throw burlap sacks with dollar signs painted on them to monopolize licensing deals and then not care about the games.

"We're the only one making that game. You *have* to buy ours."
                    I remember EA peaking around the time Madden went exclusive for the NFL. There was a game, can't remember exactly what it was, but I believe it had ties to ESPN as well. It was a much better game than Madden that year. The next year EA announced exclusivity and the other game was cancelled that year. Madden has blown ever since.

Edit: Sure enough, it was ESPN NFL 2K5. It was also $30 cheaper than Madden.

Madden 2005: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madden_NFL_2005
                    ESPN 2K5: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_NFL_2K5

Wow, I think we lost so much in advancement of football games because of that exclusivity.

ETA2:

From comments on a linked article, this is what I remember too :
                    Bird125
                    Not to take anything away from the in game announcers who were great but the Chris Berman (ESPN) Halftime report also deserves mention. You felt like you were watching a halftime report on any given Sunday in the NFL. With not just highlights from your game but from other games around the league.
                    And if memory serves, even Trey Wingo and Mel Kiper also from ESPN had a hand in the game as well during draft time.
                    Posted on Jul 21, 2014 | 10:46 AM

Scape3d
                    ^ YES! I remember watching the halftime show the first few times and couldn’t believe what I was seeing/hearing. It was commentary and footage on MY game! It was so well produced and scarily specific.
                    Posted on Jul 21, 2014 | 10:49 AM
                    I remember it was the first time I really sat back and watched those in-game highlights from a video game. It was amazing!!

A pretty nostalgic and interesting read: link

ETA 3: Oh my god, this was awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtwx_Rv21Iw
                    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 09-20-2016, 04:54 PM.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      I remember EA peaking around the time Madden went exclusive for the NFL. There was a game, can't remember exactly what it was, but I believe it had ties to ESPN as well. It was a much better game than Madden that year. The next year EA announced exclusivity and the other game was cancelled that year. Madden has blown ever since.

Madden 2005: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madden_NFL_2005
                      ESPN 2K5: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_NFL_2K5

Wow, I think we lost so much in advancement of football games because of that exclusivity.

ETA2:

From comments on a linked article, this is what I remember too :

I remember it was the first time I really sat back and watched those in-game highlights from a video game. It was amazing!!

A pretty nostalgic and interesting read: link

ETA 3: Oh my god, this was awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtwx_Rv21Iw
                      I went with Madden 2005 that year instead of 2k. Never have actually played NFL 2k, but I can say that was the best Madden they've ever had, with the possible exception of Madden 10.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                        I went with Madden 2005 that year instead of 2k. Never have actually played NFL 2k, but I can say that was the best Madden they've ever had, with the possible exception of Madden 10.
                        I owned 2k5 and my brother owned Madden 2005. We played both about 50:50 when we were co-op or playing against each other. Whenever he wasn't around, I played 100% 2k5. It was, and still is, the best football game I've ever played. Sure, Madden is more polished now, but at the time and given the price point? It was ages ahead of Madden. The run physics probably stand up even today. I know one of the articles mentioned the passing game was horrid, and I kind of remember that, but the presentation smokes anything Madden has ever done. Highlights from other games? A TV-like halftime show? The Crib was one of the best extra features I've ever seen in a sports game. Sure it was kind of pointless, but back then it was awesome to be able to put in a giant pool table into your house. You could walk around to other rooms to see your profile's trophies.

It was not just one of the best sports games ever produced, it was one of my favorite games of all time. Not just because it was really well done, but what it meant in video games history. It terrified EA to the point that it had to engage in antitrust behavior just to stop it from killing off their biggest game. Even if, as you say, 2005 was the best Madden of all time.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I feel that way about College Hoops 2k8. Still play it from time to time. Presentation, gameplay, recruiting, it has it all. Only issue is conferences and tournament format have changed so much it's not as realistic as it was back in the day.
                          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            I remember EA peaking around the time Madden went exclusive for the NFL. ...
                            Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                            I feel that way about College Hoops 2k8. Still play it from time to time. Presentation, gameplay, recruiting, it has it all. Only issue is conferences and tournament format have changed so much it's not as realistic as it was back in the day.
                            Thanks DX. I remembered that 2k Games were half the price of EA and provided the same level of play. Then 2K upped the price, and the level, making EA start locking in exclusivity. So, 2004-05 was EA's Golden Era, and 2008-09 was 2K's (along with the stellar college hoops (that now became NBA 2Kxx) and the superior MLB 2Kxx series).

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Forza Horizon 3 is good on first impression.

Takes place in Australia, so driving on left is a thing. I've jacked oncoming traffic once or twice.
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                I owned 2k5 and my brother owned Madden 2005. We played both about 50:50 when we were co-op or playing against each other. Whenever he wasn't around, I played 100% 2k5. It was, and still is, the best football game I've ever played. Sure, Madden is more polished now, but at the time and given the price point? It was ages ahead of Madden. The run physics probably stand up even today. I know one of the articles mentioned the passing game was horrid, and I kind of remember that, but the presentation smokes anything Madden has ever done. Highlights from other games? A TV-like halftime show? The Crib was one of the best extra features I've ever seen in a sports game. Sure it was kind of pointless, but back then it was awesome to be able to put in a giant pool table into your house. You could walk around to other rooms to see your profile's trophies.

It was not just one of the best sports games ever produced, it was one of my favorite games of all time. Not just because it was really well done, but what it meant in video games history. It terrified EA to the point that it had to engage in antitrust behavior just to stop it from killing off their biggest game. Even if, as you say, 2005 was the best Madden of all time.
                                Idk about that, I got so fed up with 2k and vividly remember some guy just trucking Ray Lewis lmao. That Madden year was awesome though.

That said I wish both were around so there could actually be some competition. Same goes for the NHL series which has been pretty stagnant.
                                Last edited by trixR4kids; 09-23-2016, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X