X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JF_Gophers
    replied
    Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
    Nice thread, I have been out of the video game world for years and used to play many PC based first-person shooters and driving games, Call of Duty, MDK, Nascar Racing 3. I am still using the PC which is pretty powerful. Can anyone suggest some newer PC based games in the same type genres? I am not a fan of the empire and community building games, I will also be playing with just a keyboard for now, if I get back into playing I will grab a controller, thanks for helping find a time killer.
    My PC go to's:

Fallout 4 (+ mods)
    Skyrim (+ mods)
    Monster Hunter Word
    Football Manager (soccer sim)
    Out Of The Park 20 (baseball sim)
    Civilization 6 (empire sim)
    The Sims 4
    Dragon Age (any in series)

Leave a comment:

• LTsatch
    replied
    Re: Official Video Games Thread VIII: Titans are destined to fall

Nice thread, I have been out of the video game world for years and used to play many PC based first-person shooters and driving games, Call of Duty, MDK, Nascar Racing 3. I am still using the PC which is pretty powerful. Can anyone suggest some newer PC based games in the same type genres? I am not a fan of the empire and community building games, I will also be playing with just a keyboard for now, if I get back into playing I will grab a controller, thanks for helping find a time killer.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Wanted to play something, this is the best option.
    Persona 5 Royal is fantastic, if you need another 100 hr time sink.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    I thought after the demo you weren't buying this?

Has isolation changed your mind?
    Wanted to play something, this is the best option.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

I thought after the demo you weren't buying this?

Has isolation changed your mind?

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    FF7 remake has been really good so far. Some minor gripes about some of the puzzle aspects. But overall its been fun. It includes a new game + as well.
    I just got to Wall Market myself.

I still dislike the combat, I’ve never been a fan of these modern hack n’ slash, button mashing action RPGs since they’ve come out. It sucked in Crisis Core, it sucked in FFXIII and especially XV, and it still sucks now.

As for the story, there are some expanded parts that are good, the extra missions in the slums in Sectors 7 and 5 are great to flesh those sections. But, things like the mission with Jesse are incredibly pointless, background on characters that utterly meaningless to the overall story.

And yeah, some of the changes/additions are aggravating. Shinra actually blows up the Sector 1 reactor? Yeah, that’s a dumb change meant to soften the main characters, the whole conflict of killing people vs saving the planet is central to Barret’s character arc and now it’s gone because “lol Shinra is a puppet master!” And Roche? Because Square can’t help themselves from going “we need to add the same ‘FF villain character with tough yet effeminate mannerisms and wacky hair trope we’ve used since Seymour Guado in FFX’ because he can’t fight Sephiroth yet!”

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

FF7 remake has been really good so far. Some minor gripes about some of the puzzle aspects. But overall its been fun. It includes a new game + as well.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    100000 / (125/8) = 6400 seconds = 106 minutes

3 hours would be about right, considering you won't get the full 125 mbps but the 100 gigs would also be the uncompressed storage at the end, not the compressed download size.
    That's the pipeline bandwidth, not what I typically get. Usually get faster service over LTE with my phone.

But yeah, it wouldn't be atrocious. I think I've had a few 50 GB downloads for updates on some of my games (which is still farking absurd) and I just set them up overnight.

I just hate the idea of tens of GBs for an update. I just don't live in that world so I don't understand it. I live in the world where the largest program I've ever written was a few hundred KB not including data. So I get that I don't get it. But the space and memory requirements on programs today just seem bonkers; I'm not even talking relative to a decade ago, I'm talking relative to average HDD and DIMM size. We live in an era where memory and disk space are treated with contempt. One of the best tests I ever took in college was for a C++ course where I finished an hour and a half before everyone else but missed two points for failing to close the data file (memory leak). Those two points hurt like a *****. I talked with the TAs later and they said my code was more compact, less CPU intensive, and stored the data efficiently. I learned almost everything about coding principles from my dad who took a lot of pride in efficiency. We've lost that principle, IMHO.

I've seen the API data received for a few games and it's actually crazy how much data is exchanged sometimes. Every time I log in, it downloads 2-4 MB of data. Most of which never changes. I just think that's probably a little data-lazy.

But I digress... /crotchetyoldmillenial

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied
    Originally posted by unofan View Post

3 hours would be about right, considering you won't get the full 125 mbps but the 100 gigs would also be the uncompressed storage at the end, not the compressed download size.
    Nah its legit 100gb download.

15g to play, 85g of the rest of the data.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I don't have gigabit service. Too expensive, don't have a server hosted in my house. I think we still have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem on 125 Mbps service.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

why is your internet so slow? Took maybe 3 hours to install.

I actually like the remake so far. There is a classic mode that lets you just issue commands instead of having to control characters. But im fine with the hybrid fighting scheme. Part action, part menu.
    I don't have gigabit service. Too expensive, don't have a server hosted in my house. I think we still have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem on 125 Mbps service.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    100 Gb? Jfc. These people are insane.

Hard pass. That’s going to take 24 hours just to install.
    why is your internet so slow? Took maybe 3 hours to install.

I actually like the remake so far. There is a classic mode that lets you just issue commands instead of having to control characters. But im fine with the hybrid fighting scheme. Part action, part menu.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

Pre orders for the interactive Super Mario Lego starter set are open starting today at Lego.com.

$59.99

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

100 Gb? Jfc. These people are insane.

Hard pass. That’s going to take 24 hours just to install.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    A remake and a remaster are two different things. Final Fantasy 8 was a remaster last year. They're probably remaking FF7 because they haven't even thought of FF16 and FF7 remake buys them time after 15 took like 7-8 years to push it out.
    Well they’re wasting that time they’ve bought considering how many resources they’ve put into this remake. Apparently this chapter, which is about what 1/8 of the game?, is pretty long and takes up 100GB+ of space.

I saw a post somewhere that said it best: “It’s Final Fantasy XVI with Final Fantasy VII characters.”

Leave a comment:

Working...
X