X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official Video Games Thread VIII: Titans are destined to fall

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    100000 / (125/8) = 6400 seconds = 106 minutes

3 hours would be about right, considering you won't get the full 125 mbps but the 100 gigs would also be the uncompressed storage at the end, not the compressed download size.
    That's the pipeline bandwidth, not what I typically get. Usually get faster service over LTE with my phone.

But yeah, it wouldn't be atrocious. I think I've had a few 50 GB downloads for updates on some of my games (which is still farking absurd) and I just set them up overnight.

I just hate the idea of tens of GBs for an update. I just don't live in that world so I don't understand it. I live in the world where the largest program I've ever written was a few hundred KB not including data. So I get that I don't get it. But the space and memory requirements on programs today just seem bonkers; I'm not even talking relative to a decade ago, I'm talking relative to average HDD and DIMM size. We live in an era where memory and disk space are treated with contempt. One of the best tests I ever took in college was for a C++ course where I finished an hour and a half before everyone else but missed two points for failing to close the data file (memory leak). Those two points hurt like a *****. I talked with the TAs later and they said my code was more compact, less CPU intensive, and stored the data efficiently. I learned almost everything about coding principles from my dad who took a lot of pride in efficiency. We've lost that principle, IMHO.

I've seen the API data received for a few games and it's actually crazy how much data is exchanged sometimes. Every time I log in, it downloads 2-4 MB of data. Most of which never changes. I just think that's probably a little data-lazy.

But I digress... /crotchetyoldmillenial
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

FF7 remake has been really good so far. Some minor gripes about some of the puzzle aspects. But overall its been fun. It includes a new game + as well.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
        FF7 remake has been really good so far. Some minor gripes about some of the puzzle aspects. But overall its been fun. It includes a new game + as well.
        I just got to Wall Market myself.

I still dislike the combat, I’ve never been a fan of these modern hack n’ slash, button mashing action RPGs since they’ve come out. It sucked in Crisis Core, it sucked in FFXIII and especially XV, and it still sucks now.

As for the story, there are some expanded parts that are good, the extra missions in the slums in Sectors 7 and 5 are great to flesh those sections. But, things like the mission with Jesse are incredibly pointless, background on characters that utterly meaningless to the overall story.

And yeah, some of the changes/additions are aggravating. Shinra actually blows up the Sector 1 reactor? Yeah, that’s a dumb change meant to soften the main characters, the whole conflict of killing people vs saving the planet is central to Barret’s character arc and now it’s gone because “lol Shinra is a puppet master!” And Roche? Because Square can’t help themselves from going “we need to add the same ‘FF villain character with tough yet effeminate mannerisms and wacky hair trope we’ve used since Seymour Guado in FFX’ because he can’t fight Sephiroth yet!”
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I thought after the demo you weren't buying this?

Has isolation changed your mind?
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I thought after the demo you weren't buying this?

Has isolation changed your mind?
            Wanted to play something, this is the best option.
            I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              Wanted to play something, this is the best option.
              Persona 5 Royal is fantastic, if you need another 100 hr time sink.
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Nice thread, I have been out of the video game world for years and used to play many PC based first-person shooters and driving games, Call of Duty, MDK, Nascar Racing 3. I am still using the PC which is pretty powerful. Can anyone suggest some newer PC based games in the same type genres? I am not a fan of the empire and community building games, I will also be playing with just a keyboard for now, if I get back into playing I will grab a controller, thanks for helping find a time killer.
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                  Nice thread, I have been out of the video game world for years and used to play many PC based first-person shooters and driving games, Call of Duty, MDK, Nascar Racing 3. I am still using the PC which is pretty powerful. Can anyone suggest some newer PC based games in the same type genres? I am not a fan of the empire and community building games, I will also be playing with just a keyboard for now, if I get back into playing I will grab a controller, thanks for helping find a time killer.
                  My PC go to's:

Fallout 4 (+ mods)
                  Skyrim (+ mods)
                  Monster Hunter Word
                  Football Manager (soccer sim)
                  Out Of The Park 20 (baseball sim)
                  Civilization 6 (empire sim)
                  The Sims 4
                  Dragon Age (any in series)
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Finished FF7 Remake.

Yup, they’ve ruined it. Already pulled multiple characters back from the dead and possibly created an alternate timeline. Nice to see the guy who ruined Kingdom Hearts is now ruining FF7.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Sometimes there’s a good Reddit post help me sum up my thoughts in way that’s better than what I could do:
                      It baffles me how anyone can genuinely like this game. At best, this game is mediocre.

From a gameplay perspective, it's got an obscene amount of padding. How can you justify an entire chapter (the second to the last, btw) being, "Oh, we're stuck down here because Hojo wants to collect some data."

How is it possible that in 2020, the justification for doing side quests is, "You're a mercenary. Why don't you do some side quests?" Beyond that, the side quests themselves are uninspired and that's putting it lightly.

The only merit this game has is that the game play is arguably fun and the character models/environment/set pieces are iconic and beautiful.

The writing sucks. Here's an example.

When you're climbing up the tower to stop the plate from collapsing, it doesn't make sense for you to stop and watch a 4 minute cutscene (twice) just so Biggs and Jessie can have their little moment. Not only does it not make sense, it belittles the intelligence of the audience by signaling for them to feel sad. "Look, audience member. See? Biggs and Cloud are having a bro moment right now. This is where you're supposed to feel sympathetic. Oh, look. Now he's dead. This is where you're supposed to feel sad. Okay, go on with the game now."

In the original, they all just get mowed down like dogs and you don't really even have time to mourn for them. You exchange maybe a line or 2 and you gotta book it to stop that plate from collapsing. The entire scene illustrates how absolutely powerless Avalanche is compared to Shinra and how brutal and ruthless Shinra is. But now Avalanche is actually putting up a decent fight? Like, Jessie blows up a helicopter and stuff? The s- that happens in this remake is so thematically inconsistent.

Lastly, there's the ending. There are lots of things wrong with the ending. For one, time travel/multiverse shenanigans aside, I don't understand why Cloud and company is so motivated to fight against fate to change what happened in the original continuity because they don't really f-ing know what happens in the original continuity in the first place. They just get random and vague snapshots of stuff that takes place in FF7. Why are they so quick to be like, "Fate's bad. Yeah, f- fate!" Fate just saved Barret's life like 20 minutes ago, you bunch of ingrates. Like, I can understand if time traveler/multiverse hopper Sephiroth is f-ing up the space time continuum for some unnecessarily cryptic reason and Cloud is trying to stop him but... that isn't the case. Cloud's like, "I also wish to screw fate and f- with the space time continuum."

What this ultimately implies is that the original Final Fantasy 7, everything that happens in it and in all the spin offs, is essentially a giant bad f-ing ending that needs to be retconned, which, in my opinion, is kind of an odd, roundabout way to s- all over the game you're trying to pay homage to by remaking it.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Its clear the rest of the FF7 games will go in a different direction from the original. So only this 1st game had to be a combo of the original story and the new direction they want to go.

I've enjoyed the game, but im not in it for the story. I don't care that it doesn't match 7. Thats for people with many more cares than me to worry about.
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Its clear the rest of the FF7 games will go in a different direction from the original. So only this 1st game had to be a combo of the original story and the new direction they want to go.

I've enjoyed the game, but im not in it for the story. I don't care that it doesn't match 7. Thats for people with many more cares than me to worry about.
                          I can understand expanding on a bunch of elements but keeping the overall story the same.

But changing the fundamental plot and character arc of the main character by keeping Zack alive? WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot is next? Aerith gets kept alive? We already had Barret die and get brought back to life.

This is like remaking Star Wars and going “you know what? Order 66 never happened. Let’s put a bunch of Jedi in!” Dumb, just dumb.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Completed FF7 in about 38 hrs at lvl 39. Then started going back to do the things i missed, including maxing out levels (50).

I'd say i enjoyed 90% of it. Some fights were just dumb or sections had poor controls (hi bikes!).

I may challenge hard mode. But don't expect I'll beat it.
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAc2rMlOOYc

Might have to check this out. Some of my favorite games back in the day.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Totally off the radar. But im enjoying "Billion Road" on Switch. Its not for everyone, but i love the details of the board game map.

Very niche Japanese board game. Now with english translation.
                                Last edited by JF_Gophers; 05-01-2020, 11:08 AM.
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Working...
                                X