• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twitch Boy
    replied
    Re: Official Video Games Thread VIII: Titans are destined to fall

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    I cleared the 50 and 100cc with 3 stars. Now I'm putting down some time trial times to get better at the tracks for the 150 and 200cc runs.
    Now's where I tell you that any trophies/stars earned at 150cc automatically copy down to 50 and 100. But it was good to get the practice.

150cc is doable, it's just like online. Don't worry about top speed - the rubberbanding will just catch up to you anyway. Focus on max acceleration to recover from item hits.

200cc is a whole different animal. USE THE B BUTTON BRAKE. It's the only way to survive some turns. Consider turning on auto-acceleration, then you just have to use the brake and drift.

The urban legend I've heard is that the game engine was originally being developed for an F-Zero game, then Nintendo for whatever reason decided they didn't want to do F-Zero, so it got converted to Mario Kart 8. Hence all the anti-gravity stuff. 200cc is the speed the F-Zero game would have been running at.

ETA: The Y button also accelerates. Can be useful in 200cc so you can keep it pinned and tap the brake to make turns.
    Last edited by Twitch Boy; 05-01-2017, 10:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

I cleared the 50 and 100cc with 3 stars. Now I'm putting down some time trial times to get better at the tracks for the 150 and 200cc runs.

Leave a comment:

• Twitch Boy
    replied

My one minor gripe with MK8D: N64 Rainbow Road should have an option for 3 full laps.

I see why they kept it at 1 lap, but have the option there for us crusty old N64 vets who want the charm of having a stupid 5-minute long race.

Leave a comment:

• UCBadger
    replied

Since my son was little and I pre-bought a game boy advance, I was always able to pick up the new game system (usually Nintendo, but sometimes x-box) for whatever the next gift giving event was. I even I got a pre-buy after the original person who earlier reserved the system "no longer needed it" according to the game store manager....seems like one person needed to be taken to the hospital following an all nighter for the release of the Wii.............

Anyway, my son is graduating from college, heading off to grad school and did not need the Switch so I did not keep an eye out for the pre-sells. I did try to find one at release (Ok, for me....) with no luck. I just happened to be at WalMart about 10:00 on Saturday night before Easter. There were 3 system in the case! I worried that someone's bunny might be shopping late, a bunny who really needed on for the morning so I passed on the system (perhaps an ethical thing since I really did not need one). About 3 pm on Sunday I went back and they were still there, so no ethical problem anymore, I picked one up. (Still have not opened it, but that is a different issue.......)

Leave a comment:

• Twitch Boy
    replied

Unlocked the Biddybuggy. For those who don't know, there is a hidden stat that determines how quickly you can charge mini-turbos and how long they last, and this car gives a full +1 to that stat. Great for 200cc and great with the new third tier of sparks (it goes blue, orange, pink now, and pink's turbo lasts a full 3 seconds.)

Dry Bowser/Biddybuggy/Rollers/Super is my go-to in online. A freaking Bowser with 4+ acceleration and can pull off orange sparks at a decent clip. I'll switch Bowser for Lemmy if it's a tricky course or I'm getting Item Paraded.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X